MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
View Poll Results: What do you feel people know your car name best by.
AC Cobra 61 27.23%
Shelby Cobra 136 60.71%
AC - Shelby Cobra 8 3.57%
Other 19 8.48%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Education 101

What do you feel people know your car name best by. When I tell people what kind of car I am going to build they get a look on their face like or What name is the most understandable? AC Cobra - Shelby Cobra - AC Shelby Cobra?

Catch ya later
Ed
Old 08-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe the first ads were for the "Shelby-AC Cobra", then shortened for obvious reasons to Shelby Cobra.

Regards,

Keith
Old 08-11-2003, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default What kind?

I have found it is an age thing.....

Over 30 you tell them a Shelby Cobra or just a Cobra

Under 30 you have to start out with some examples: eg, "Gone in 60 Seconds" or the U.S. Postal Comercial or the Autozone comercial. Then they may understand. But I usually don't have a lot of patience if they don't get it pretty quick.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-11-2003, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I would say "AC Cobra" replica. NOT a Mustang Cobra!"

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

HI, ED - - -

IT'S PROBABLY EASIER IF YOU CARRY A PHOTOGRAPH IN YOUR WALLET TO SHOW THEM. I'M SURE PETER WILL SEND YOU A FEW.

I REFER TO MINE (IN PUBLIC) AS A "REPLICA AC COBRA" AND IF I GET A CURIOUS LOOK, THEN I TRY "REPLICA SHELBY COBRA".

I NEVER REFER TO IT AS A "KIT CAR". IF THE QUESTION COMES UP I CALL IT A "COMPONENT CAR".

I DID HAVE ONE INCIDENT IN LEESBURG A FEW WEEKS AGO. SOME SARCASTIC SMART ASS ASKED, "IS THAT A KIT CAR OR A REAL ONE. I POINTED TO THE GLOVE BOX DOOR WHICH HAD BEEN AUTOGRAPHED IN SILVER PEN AND SAID, "WHAT DO YOU THINK ?? THE GLOVE BOX HAS BEEN SIGNED BY PETER PORTANTE HIM SELF." THE GUY CHILLED INSTANTLY - LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS SOME SORT OF HERO AND SAID "WOW - MAN - THAT'S REALLY COOL".

HE'S PROBABLY STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO PETER PORTANTE IS. - - - - ON THE OTHER HAND, MAYBE HE ALREADY KNOWS WHO PETER PORTANTE IS - - AND THAT'S WHY HE WAS SO IMPRESSED.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY (AND GOODNIGHT , PETER, WHEREVER YOU ARE).

BLACKJACK
Old 08-11-2003, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W
Not Ranked     

I refer to my car as an "AC Cobra" replica, hence my user name AC Cobra. Carroll Shelby probably would like us to refer to them as a "Shelby Cobra" and send him a small fee for using his licensed trade name.

Rick
Old 08-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Hmmm...That raises the question: How much do you think you would have to pay CS to get him to allow you to call your car a "real" Cobra?

Would it then be a "real" Cobra?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

It is an interesting debate. More interesting is that I have never seen any Cobra--AC or otherwise--with a dash signed by Charles Hurlock.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

EXCELLENT POINT, CAL - - AS USUAL.

BLACKLACK
Old 08-12-2003, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blackjack Hi How MUCH did that autograph COST you?? A Lunch, golf outting, or buying another car Rick Lake
Old 08-12-2003, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HI, RICK,

THE COST IS A 289 STREET VERSION (WHICH I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ANYWAY - - BUT DON'T TELL PETER).

ON THE STRONG RECOMMENDATION OF BOB PUTMAN AND OTHERS I ASKED PETER TO "PRACTICE" ON SEVERAL OTHER ITEMS BEFORE I GAVE HIM THE GLOVE BOX DOOR. I DIDN'T WANT ANYONE TO MISTAKE IT FOR MRS. SHELBY'S LITTLE BOY'S SIGNATURE. I NOW HAVE A COMPLETE SET OF P.P. SIGNATURES ON MY BRIEF CASE CALENDER, MY LEGAL PAD COVER AND SCRAPS OF MISCELANEOUS LUMBER. REAL COLLECTORE ITEMS.

ACTUALLY - - I THINK IT'S THE COOLEST GLOVE BOX DOOR IN TOWN. I DON'T BELIEVE THE GUYS WITH THE CSX-4XXX CARS THINK SO BUT - - - - - .

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 08-12-2003, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Blackjack -

Thanks - I needed some coffee through my nose.

Jim
Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

The Cobra is, at least from most people I have spoken to about the car and things I have read associated first and foremost with Carroll Shelby. After all its he who made the car famous and legendary.

No question. Its a Shelby Cobra.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Actually, this is an interesting question. I think the answer to it is that there is no clear answer to the question. If you recall 6 or 8 months ago when SPF got Shelby's trade dress and infringement claims tossed out of court, part of the reason the court ruled in favor of SPF is that there was no clear consensus as to whether the general public looks at a Cobra and recognizes as a "Shelby Cobra." In fact, (if my memory is correct), the report the court relied on, in part, in rendering its opinoin was prepared by Shelby's own expert. The report, which was based on a poll of random people, found that people identified the car as, among other things, a "Cobra", "Shelby Cobra", "Ford Cobra" and "AC Cobra". Thus, to the general public, I think there is no true answer.

However, I agree with Evan. To those "in the know" and who are familiar with these cars and their history, they can only be Shelby Cobras.

Black Jack- You didn't have to buy a 289 street car, Peter would likely sign anything for a pizza or steak

Rick- Next time you go up there, bring a box of donuts and see what it will get you.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-12-2003, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

This is one of those areas of communications where you have to judge your audience. Most of the time, especially at a parts counter, I just say it's a custom car. Saves time.

Paul
Old 08-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

427 Cobra.

- no need to say anything else after that.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's a replica of a 1965 Shelby Cobra made by Superformance. It was factory built in South Africa; the engine and transmission were added here. It was built and completed in 2001.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

The term "Cobra" has become generic by constant use. We all drive "Cobras" of some sort. Trying to be specific to someone not familiar with all the different manufacturers who build "Cobras" just confuses them because all our cars look quite similar. A real Shelby Cobra is a car produced by the Texan's team in the golden era of 1962-66. Those produced after that date with a new CSX number could certainly be called "Shelby Cobras", as the man legally owns his own name, but they really aren't any more "real" than any other competantly produced replica. Yes, there were a few real "AC Cobras" (those with COB serial numbers) but they're pretty rare, especially here in the US. I think the easiest and most understandable term for those who don't understand the complexities of the car's convoluted history is simply to call them a "Cobra" .... what we precede that name with depends on the interest of the inquiring party. If they care enough to REALLY know what kind of "Cobra" we drive then we can say it's a "Superformance", or whatever brand constructed the chassis we drive. Let's keep it simple, OK? Badger
Old 08-24-2003, 03:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When people ask WHAT it is, my first response is always, a Shelby Cobra. What year is it? A 1966.

If they ask if it's a "Kit", then I know they have a "clue", and the re-creation "discussion" is on! Which way it goes depends entirely on the person, my mood, the time of day and Jupiters alignement with Mars.

Ernie
Old 08-24-2003, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I call my car an AC Cobra Replica. Shelby is associated with other Cpbras and people get confused with "Shelby Cobra." Actually, most people have to see the car or a picture or it to know what it is, unless they are fans of the car.