Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Who wants a divorce? and spark plugs

Anyone seeking a divorce in the Cleveland area is encouraged to take their Cobra up to the Crazy Horse Gentlemans Club this Friday night (Aug. 15th), I understand they are having a car show

Need help with spark plug choice... my small block has 1968 302 heads and I am currently running Champion RF11YC plugs with pretty good results, but I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into new technology.

I'm being told that I should switch to either Bosch or Autolite plugs, (platinum, platinum plus????)

I have a MSD ignition and distributor, car seems to run best at a 0.040" gap on the plugs which I guess is pretty tight for an MSD setup. When I open them up to say 0.050-0.055" it isn't as crisp on the highway.

Thanks,

- Dan

Last edited by Dan Stryffeler; 08-13-2003 at 05:02 AM..
Old 08-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Dan,

I run the Jacobs Pro Street and I have the best results with Autolite plugs. I have played with gap settings and get the best results at .048 - .049. I use 3924s and have really good luck with them but yours is a Cleveland and it would probably take a different number. Also I tried platinum plugs and they worked very crappy. The Jacobs manual says just use the regular type electrodes as the others throw off the resistance measurements.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-13-2003, 06:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,

The parts guy at the local shop is pushing the Autolite AP45 plug, which is their regular platinum plug, (also happens to be the one he had in stock).

When I compared the plugs, the Autolite seemed to be a little taller from the shoulder to the top of the electrode, which is a concern; I'm wondering about the temperature range... Autolite doesn't seem to offer any - just one plug/application.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Try NGK Vpower, wr5 (or stock number 2438). I use these in my GT350, and love them. I feel they outperform both the MotorCraft and the Autolites. I use the car both on the street and track, and these plugs hold up just fine. The 'v power' adspeak is because the wr5 plug has a v shaped ground electrode to aid in spark efficiency. Sort of like the splitfire, except the v is on the main electrode in the SF plug, and the NGKs actually work. I buy my NGK's at Oreillys...1.49 each.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan;

I'm running the same plug or maybe the RF18YC,can't remember right now with great results.BTW,also running MSD and a .040 to .045 gap....

Tried the platinum plugs and was not happy with them,they seemed to foul out real easy and quick....

If you find something your motor combo likes,like these plugs,stick with them....

Also,local guy with a dyno has told me many times and shown me a few times that switching to Champoin plugs regardless of engine make or size 95% of the time results in a 2 to 5 hp gain on the dyno...do not know why,but I've seen it. At first I only ran Autolites and then after seeing the proof I switched to Champoins and find they last longer and burn cleaner,you'll never be able to tell if you picked up 2 to 5 hp,but my engine seems to run "smoother" with champoins....

Just my .02 cents......

David
Old 08-13-2003, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

When I switched to the Jacobs I went with Autolites, 3 steps colder than stock per the manual. Had Champions and Bosch before and like the Bosch for stock apps. No complaints with the Autolites.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice...

I've done a little searching on the WEB, read, re-read and re-read the posts above, and the winner is...

The 'NGK Vpower, WR5'

General consensus is the platinum stuff isn't worth the extra cost.

Will throw in a set tonight if I can find them after work.

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 08-13-2003, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427SC-351C- 24 years old !!!!!
Not Ranked     

I have a Cleveland (10:1),tried all of the above ,and at the recomendation of my parts store,went to AC Delco rapid fire plugs.
They have a serrated electrode and I've been totally happy with them-MSD6-AL,40 thousandths gap,no misfiring,fouling,and after 5k miles,look great--- I'm on a business trip so can't get to the model number.They did however,have to order them.They have lasted twice as long as any others I have tried--AND they are
cheap-@5.00 ea. !!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Gosh Dan, as luck would have it, I won't be available for the car show at the Crazy Horse... Please be sure and take LOTS of pictures of the girls, er, cars for me...