LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default All Members... Please Read.

Sometimes...as a baseball game progresses, the lines around home plate have been scuffed away, and have to be re-painted. This is an attempt to repaint the batter's box here.

Let me be blunt and get right to the point with some perspective...

Quite a lot of money has been spent to build this 'place' we all visit. A few of us spend an awful lot of time keeping it running and presentable....because we like what it offers and we want to be sure it provides the best opportunity on the Internet for the Cobra community to congregate, communicate, learn and socialize.
..and we have been successful in that goal.

We don't contribute all these resources to allow discussions to deteriorate into hateful, childish, vicious, spiteful or prejudiced arguments.

Lately, some threads look like train wrecks. This really cannot continue. Just as an unscientific observation, it is taking less and less pages of a controversial thread before it gets personal and mean-spirited.

There is an integrity issue at stake here... I would rather ClubCobra be known as the best place to visit to talk about Cobras ... instead of being a drive-in movie, that is the home of the marathon, juvenile pissing contest.

Brent's philosphy for the forum has always been one of open dialog and no censorship. As such, many times, things go a lot further than many would want... but the concept of self-moderation by the group at large is always in play, and the moderators often take a step back and let the topic run it's course. Unfortunately, a few, now, are not ending in a timely fashion.

Lately, it seems 'fashionable' to jump on a thread and go right for throat, rather than add some value to the topic. If anyone finds the lost concept of mutual respect, let me know.... I know it's around here somewhere.

I'm not singling out any one thread or any specific post here... just a general "feeling in the air", if you will.

A discussion is "an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic", according to the dictionary.... when it gets to name-calling and personal slices of hatred... it is no longer a discussion... and no longer has a right to reside on this forum.

Keep this in mind as you hit the "Post Reply" button.

You may have noticed that no post gets deleted unless it is obscene or out of the boundaries of Forum guidelines... this will continue. However, "popcorn" threads will get warning posts by a Moderator and, unfortunately, will be subsequently locked down if the particpants cannot get it back on track in a civil manner.

It really is simple.... have fun, talk about what you want, put topics in the appropriate forum, respect your fellow member's opinion, be kind to newcomers and contribute to make this a better place.

...anything else? Well, it may not belong here to begin with.

Ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 08-17-2003, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     
Default Re: All Members... Please Read.

It really is simple.... have fun, talk about what you want, put topics in the appropriate forum, respect your fellow member's opinion, be kind to newcomers and contribute to make this a better place.

Finaly.

Was wondering when some one would step up.

Ron i may be new but we all see the effort that you and the other guys put in. We are just big kids who need a kick in the a$$ now and then.

Skippy.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bravo!

I have noticed the same thing over the last few weeks ,, I was thinking what is in the air ?? and wondering if a few angry men could destroy this site, thanks for taking a stand .

KK
Old 08-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,

Thanks for your hard work. Your point about the wide berth provided here at CC is spot on--I also visit a corvette forum because of my Z06 and I'll tell you, those guys lock down threads far more quickly, and far more often, than is the case here at CC. This is the best enthusiast-driven site there is--thanks for all of your hard work.

TT
Old 08-17-2003, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Ron,
You beat me to it!

I had a lengthy post to go up, but I will save it for the next time. I am sure there will be a next time.
You probably thought I was still in Monterey. We came back early.
There was nothing there to see!!!

TURK
Old 08-17-2003, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I would like to express my appreciation to whomever (Ron, Brent, Turk, and ??) keeps this site going, y'all do a fantastic job.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm cautiously optomistic this sound advice will be heeded. On a personal note, I will re-double my efforts to not be a part of the problem but a part of the solution.

Ernie
Old 08-17-2003, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THANK YOU!!! I have noticed that there are certain individuals, who seem to hijack a post and take it way off topic. They then talk back and forth with their buddies about whatever and are of no assistance to the original posters problem. Mostly because of this I have not posted any questions lately. Finding it much easier and less aggravating to do the research myself. Thank you again for finally taking a stand on this.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Ditto to all the above!

Why does it always seem to be the same 2-3 guys?

I love this place!

I will miss Hal and his "Stories"!

Speaking of stories...Where's the "Butcher"?
Old 08-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron! It really is simple, but online communication can be a difficult thing. It's one thing in person and entirely different online because we can't hear inflections in the voice, or see any visible gestures that keeps the tone light. It's easy to take things out of context, and it's easy to come off like a complete a$$ if some effort is not applied to reviewing your comments. This is a good time for everyone to consider the ways we communicate and how to more effectively communicate our needs, concerns, differing opinions, etc, in the future.

Thanks again Ron, your concern is appreciated all around, and this place wouldn't be the same without you and Turk caring as much as you do!
Old 08-17-2003, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You want to say that to MY FACE?

TURK
Old 08-17-2003, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess I've got thick skin(or a thick head) from my years in the firehouse, but could someone clue me in to the big problemo? Please be blunt.

Edit:
No need to answer the above questions, I found the tread.

Last edited by southernfriedcj; 08-17-2003 at 05:10 PM..
Old 08-17-2003, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK!
I'll be blunt.
You must have inhaled too much smoke.

Next time turn the big knob on the tank on your back, IN FULL before you climb the ladder.
When they tell you to jump, try to hit the mark on the canvas. Don't just jump

TURK
editoops.! Maybe I should have waited.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

OK!
Next time turn the big knob on the tank on your back, IN FULL before you climb the ladder.
I wish I knew how to use my scanner, I have an 8x10 on the wall from the Fox Theater fire that shows exactly that.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't think it IS one thread, it's deeper than that, more prevalent. At some point, someone HAD to clarify what HAS been said about the "problem". It's a subject that has been touched on and NEEDS to be spelled out (again and again)!

Name calling, personal attacks, being politically correct to a "give me a break" level is not fun or productive for anybody.

Ernie
Old 08-17-2003, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Ernie-

Why do you keep posting on that dumb thread?

Pat
Old 08-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MUST..........................LEAVE............... ............IT........................ALONE....... ...............eeeeeehrrrrgggg

KK
Old 08-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LOL,,,,I'm just following you around Pat.

Ernie
Old 08-17-2003, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Actually I didn't post on that thread, Ernie.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmm,,,which of course begs the question as to what thread your referring to then! Oh well, heck I post on all the controversial ones. Uh,,,,that would be most of them?

Ernie