Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default A Big Disappointment

One of the major features of the Ford Anniversary program at Monterey this past weekend was an autograph signing by 15-20 of former SAI employees who were responsible for the success of the Cobra/GT-40 program. Pictures of these great people were displayed inside with brief histories of their contributions to the Shelby racing program.

Names that were there include: Dan Gurney, Parnelli Jones, Jerry Grant, Phil Remington, Sir John Whitmore, David Hobbes, Lloyd Ruby, to name just a few. The autograph sessions were typically an hour and a half. Two sessions on Saturday and one on Sunday. There must have been 1,000 people lined up to get signings.

Conspicuously absent from the gathering was Pete Brock, despite the fact that two of the Daytona Coupes were sitting outside the Ford autograph tent, and all of the Coupes (I think) were there save the CSX 2287 car. When a group of us visited the SPF tent later that day, one of us asked Pete why he wasn't included. He said that someone within the "organization" had convinced Ford that his ( I am paraphrasing here) contributions had not been an important part of the Cobra racing program; thus, no invite to Pete to gather with his peers.

As the weekend grew to a close, the worse I felt about it. It was such a low blow to one of the great innovators of Motor sport. It is such a shame that politics have to enter in to all of this. Pete's contributions are legend. and and the fun all of us have with our cars, original or replica, is due, in large part, because of Pete and his efforts, and the world reknowed success that was had by the Coupes.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cal -- sad indeed. Unfortunately we see honor, friendship and loyalty sacrified in the name of business or politics all too often.

Here's the man and his machine for us all to appreciate.

Ben

Old 08-21-2003, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree that it is unfortunate that politics rear their ugly face so often, however you would be hard pressed to not at least partially understand SAI standpoint. SPF's coupe and Pete Brock's involvement in the mind of Shelby is obviously offensive and clearly personal as can be construed by Carroll's comments regarding the "other" counterfeiters. Yes, it was a slap in the face but one that to me just continues to deteriorate the reputation of Shelby and his holdings. Let's face it - in the vast majority of cases the views, values and beliefs of the leader is embraced by the fellow associates of most groups - period.

In the end it is Carroll's loss. His inability to see the big picture, which I find interesting because in my humble opinion the reason we drive these cars today is FOR his ability to see that which he is now losing - and it is quite evident.

Money & bitterness is not worth it but with the current Shelby mentality - it is ensured to last into the next generation of twisted minds at SAI!

I am now getting off my soap-box and ready to take the anti-counterfeiter heat.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     
Default Fans Lose Out

Not sure when companies are going to understand what is most important and that is the fans. They obviously had a good number of historic figures in attendence. Pete Brock not being there is noteworthy.

What about Bob Bondurant? He raced Cobras. Do you think that he was invited after his involvement with SPF?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Actually, Bondurant was there, graciously signing at the table next to Gurney. In that tent at the same time in addition to those two were Phil Hill, Dave Friedman, Dick Hutcherson, George Follmer, Carroll Shelby, Ed Leslie, Jerry Grant, David Pearson, Parnelli Jones, Phil Remington, Lloyd Ruby, David Hobbs, Bud Moore, Brian Redman and Sir John Whitmore. There are probably others I'm leaving out. It was awe-inspiring to see them all in one place, and it has to absolutely grate on Brock that he was made to be an outsider all weekend. I spoke with him while looking over the SPF Coupe and he was as gracious and attentive to me, a total stranger, as he could be--

Last edited by snakeeyes; 08-21-2003 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brock RULES.

TT
Old 08-21-2003, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CAL, SNAKEEYES,
GAVE THE BUMPER STICKER IDEA MORE THOUGHT. HAVING 50 MADE UP.SEND YOU EACH ONE??!!! TOM T, SEE YOU AT MINI NATS AND WILL HAVE A BUMPER STICKER FOR YOU. DONT ASK, IT IS A NOVELL IDEA WHICH YOULL UNDERSTAND.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Terry, bring 'em on!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i may be confused here but didn't Bondurant have some dealings with one of the kit car manufacturer's at one point? just goes to show you where Shelby's values are.............
Old 08-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

CSX700?

In addition---and this is NOT a negative comment about Bondo, as he is a first rate, first class guy--but he swapped out Fords for Covettes at his driving school. You wouldn't think that would endear him to Ford, either.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Cal,
I heard that Brock had been "selectively excluded" and while it's an obvious injustice to Pete's talented and creative input, it does answer a perplexing question. Now I understand why the back end of the GT40 is so amply displayed. It isn't an accident or poor photo journalism but rather a subtle, subgluteal statement to Ford and the upper echelon of their true positions in society and Brock's ultimate statement of political affection. Being painted white is the epitome of Brock's class whereas "rosey red" might have been a more appropriate color.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."

Last edited by Dan Semko; 08-21-2003 at 11:25 AM..
Old 08-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Cal,

I agree! The Shelby Team should be together no matter what the politics are today. They are a reflection of Shelby's organization back in the 60's.

I missed the autograph session Saturday, as I was in heaven wandering the pits snapping nearly over 300 digital pics. See you at the Mini Nats. Cal....you bringing your car?

- Bill -
Old 08-21-2003, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
i may be confused here but didn't Bondurant have some dealings with one of the kit car manufacturer's at one point? just goes to show you where Shelby's values are.............
Bob uses the FFR spec racer car at his track to give thrill rides to people.

Cheers
Jim
Old 08-21-2003, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

AS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO WORK - - - - -

BACK IN 1989 MY COMPANY CO-SPONS0RED A SYMPOSIUM IN HONOR OF THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSAY OF THE “BATTLE OF BRITAIN”. WE INVITED A NUMBER OF FIGHTER PILOTS FROM THE LUFT WAFFE AND THE RAF. SIX OF THE FORMER AND FIVE OF THE LATER HONORED US WITH THEIR PRESENCE IN D.C.

UNTIL THAT TIME I DON’T BELIEVE I HAD EVER LAUGHED THAT LONG OR THAT HARD. IT WAS JUST LIKE EIGHT DAYS OF “SPRING FLING”.

THE ONLY TALK OF POLITICS WAS A FRIENDLY JIBBING. THE LONGEST RUNNING DISCUSSION WAS WHO WAS THE “UGLIEST”??? HITLER OR CHURCHILL???

“WAR STORIES” FLOWED FREELY FROM ALL PARTICIPANTS. EMBELISHMENTS, EXAGERATIONS AND DOWNRIGHT FABRICATIONS WERE THE ORDER OF THE DAY. ALL OF WHICH RESULTED IN ANOTHER WILD ROAR OF LAUGHTER.

THESE GUYS – ONCE BITTER ENEMIES – TRYING THEIR DAMNDEST TO KILL ONE ANOTHER – NEVER ONCE MENTIONED WHO HAD “WON” OR WHO HAD “LOST” THE WAR. THERE WAS, HOWEVER, A GENERAL AGREEMENT THAT WARRIORS ON BOTH SIDES WOULD ALWAYS BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT THE MEDLING OF THEIR RESPECTIVE POLITICIANS.

THE CULT OF THE FIGHTER PILOT SUPERCEDED, RATHER TRANSCENDED, ALL AND ANY THOUGHTS OR CONCERNS ABOUT POLITICS.

DAMMIT - - IF THESE GUYS CAN PUT A WAR (THE ULTIMATE COMPETITION) BEHIND THEM IN FAVOR OF BROTHERHOOD AS FIGHTER PILOTS WHY THE HELL CAN’T MS. SHELBY’S LITTLE BOY SHOW ENOUGH CLASS TO PUT HIS PETTY GRIEVANCES ASIDE - - AT LEAST FOR A DAY.

COME TO THINK ABOUT IT - - - THERES A LOT OF SIMILARITY OF CULTURES BETWEEN FIGHTER PILOTS, RACE DRIVERS AND US “RUN-OF-THE-MILL” COBRA OWNERS. BEING A MEMBER OF ALL THREE FRATERNITIES I FIND THIS REMARKABLE BUT NOT AT ALL SURPRISING.

Y’ALL HAVE AREALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

Last edited by BLACKJACK; 08-21-2003 at 02:29 PM..
Old 08-21-2003, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IN TALKING TO PETER BROCK, ASKED IF HE WAS GOING TO THE NOR-CAL MINI-NATS AT SEARS POINT LABORDAY WEEKEND. I KNOW HE WAS INVITED. HE SAID HE WAS SET TO GO, BUT HEARD CARROLL HAD ACCEPTED ALSO AND HE DIDN'T WANT TO PUT THE NOR-CAL CLUB IN AN A UNCOMFORTABLE POSITION. NOW THATS CLASS.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by TERRY M KRYSTOFIAK

IN TALKING TO PETER BROCK, ASKED IF HE WAS GOING TO THE NOR-CAL MINI-NATS AT SEARS POINT LABORDAY WEEKEND. I KNOW HE WAS INVITED. HE SAID HE WAS SET TO GO, BUT HEARD CARROLL HAD ACCEPTED ALSO AND HE DIDN'T WANT TO PUT THE NOR-CAL CLUB IN AN A UNCOMFORTABLE POSITION. NOW THATS CLASS.
Agreed. He's a class act...

However, I'm disappointed that he won't be there with the Coupe, as Tony & Chuck are expected there with their new Coupes - it would be cool if Peter was there too!

See ya,
Randy R...
Old 08-21-2003, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

"i may be confused here but didn't Bondurant have some dealings with one of the kit car manufacturer's at one point? just goes to show you where Shelby's values are.."

I almost bought my Superformance from Bondurant in '97. Part of the sales pitch was a couple of hot laps around Firebird. He was indeed a franchisee of the enemy camp.
Not knowing all of the details surrounding the Brock situation, I'll avoid any nasty comments about Mr. Shelby, other than to volunteer that one way or another, my opinion of him hasn't changed one bit.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber body, Modified Custom frame
Not Ranked     

Terry, are you talking about the stickers that were polled on a while ago? If they are I would like a pair, let me know the cost and I will forward it to you. My car is in process right now and hope to have on the wyoming roads in the spring. Thanks.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" JFK
Old 08-24-2003, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

NO, "A FRIEND" WHO IS TO REMAIN ANONOMUS, IS HAVING STICKERS MADE THAT SAY "HONK...IF YOU ARE BEING SUED BY CARROLL. THE COST FOR THESE BUMPER STICKERS IS $2.00, I THINK.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok thats a sick bumper sticker in poor taste.........(so why am I chuckling over it). lol

Ernie