28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 1/4 mile times 0-60 times

just curious what kinda times and speeds you track guys are running? anyone use a G-TECH Pro? i'd like to know your times and what motor and horsepower you guys got going on

0-60 ?
1/4 mile?
horsepower?
engine?

thanks
brad
Old 08-21-2003, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brad,

Best I have run is a 13.7 at 105 MPH. But this is in Mile Hi Denver, Colorado and I am only running a little old 302. Of course it has a little Vortech Supercharger and EFI. Street Tires.

But, I have a guestion for people in other parts of the country that have run their cars at their local strip. Our strip requires a full roll cage for anything under 13.99 seconds. Will not accept our single loop roll bars. They say this is NHRA rules. Is this true for all other areas? When I ran the 13.70, I let off at the end to keep from breaking out of 13.99 (and failed) so I think I can run better, but am worried about the track people.

Would love to run at a track that would let us run. Funny that motorcycles can run 10 seconds with no roll cage. Wonder which would hurt more? Motorcycle wreck at 130 MPH or a Cobra at 100 MPH. Do not want to find out.

Dick Thompson
Mile Hi Cobra Club
Old 08-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

I have found this to be the case...

However, we have a track here that on Wed. nights allow us to run as long as we do not break 11.99. This only on Wed. nights.

My first and only time I ran a 13.6; 302/3:27 rear gears; about 300HP; lots of wheel hop. My best 60' was 2.00.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-21-2003, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Ferrari Blue, 460+030
Send a message via Yahoo to Eddy K
Not Ranked     

Most NHRA tracks are going to require that you have a roll bar that meets specs. You best bet without making modifications is to find an IHRA track or a small independent track. Most of the independents will let you run just about anything.
At our local track, tech is a joke. No one trained or anything. Just go sign the form and go racing.
It is always best to follow the saftey rules as they are there for your protection. However, I am not going to alter my car to put a rollcage in it and as you say, you are safer in a Cobra than on a motorcycle.
The choice is yours.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are right about the tech being a joke. They look at the roll bar and discuss it forever with us, and do not even look at the rest of the car. First time I was teched, asked the inspector if he wanted to see the battery to see if it was tied down. He said he already had see it. Only problem was that the battery is in the trunk and I had not opened it yet.
I was told if the car is clean and looks like it is well taken care of, they assume that it will pass.

The other problem is that there is a shortage of strips here. Only Bandimere. Friday night you get there at 3:30 and get 3 runs by 10:00. Spend 6 hours there to get 3 runs. Spend $30 for those 3 runs. No wonder kids street race.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Out here I can go to 2 tracks. The first track tells me it's ok to go balls out if I have arm restraints. They actually have a tech inspection before I can go to the line and race.

The other track depends on the tech guy. There isn't really tech until I go into the 12s when they tell me later at the starting line that I need to stay under the 14s. Nothing official, just the dude at the starting line. It varies from week to week. My first summer I went 4-5 different weeks and drove into the low to mid 12s and nobody said a thing to me. The next summer I had to slow down.

Last summer I went 12.19 on my second run w/street tires and they told me that I had to slow down or get a full cage or go home.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five W/ R block Stroker, Twin Turbos.
Not Ranked     

Over here in Alabama there is one 1/4 mile track that I am familiar with that will let you run on Test and Tune Sundays with no problem. Only thing is they don't prep the track well. You get whatever was leftover from Sat night. The best I have run there is a 11.17 @ 132 mph. That is on Nittos with a sorry 2.0+ 60' time. Of course this track is not NHRA certified.

There is also a 1/8 mile track that has test and tune on Weds night. The only limitation that I know of there is that if you break 6.99 you gotta have a helmet. I haven't made it yet due to my crummy 60' time. My best there was a 7.13 @ 105 mph.

With practice I should be able to get into the 10's in the 1/4 and the 6's in the 1/8. The thing I like is I drive it there, run the heck out of it and drive it home. I know slicks would get me the better times but it would probably break something as well.

Mike
Old 08-21-2003, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are several tracks around here and I think most of them would let me run my car. The exception maybe Beech Bend which is an NHRA track but then again they let Bob Walker run his SPF there and the only modification he has is twin rollbars. I think he went something like an 11:84.
Most of the places around here are happy to get you money abd will let you race but if there is a shortage of tracks in your area you may be out of luck unless your want to add the proper equipment.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, if your car is running 132 mph in the 1/4, with good tires it should be in the low 10's or maybe better.
I had a 23 T roadster drag car that went 127 with a pretty much stock 351C. The et was something like a 10:40 if I remember correctly.
That is one fast car that you have.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by MRITTER

Over here in Alabama there is one 1/4 mile track that I am familiar with that will let you run on Test and Tune Sundays with no problem.
Got to be STEELE !! Sundays there are definitely mild to wild. Yeah, come on.

Mike - there can't be two TT FFRs in the B-ham area? You know Reed at TurboSpecialties and Blake at Walker Dyno? I've been hearing tales of your ride .. hope to run into you soon.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five W/ R block Stroker, Twin Turbos.
Not Ranked     

Eddy, thanks. It can be very exciting/scary. If I could put down a 1.5 or 1.6 sec 60' time it would probably run low 10's or maybe even a high 9. Too much to break in the driveline though and I don't care to upgrade it all.

Svobud, Yes it is the same car. Reed built the turbo kit and Blake has helped me tune it and, early on, helped me refine my technique on replacing head gaskets. We got to where we could get it done pretty quickly. Had LOTS of practice. I probably would have given up on the car a long time ago had it not been for Blake. Let me know when you are over this way and we can meet over at his dyno shop.

Mike
Old 08-22-2003, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking YUP!

The first time I raced in southern Missouri, I ran 12.3s and could not hook up.

This year at Gateway I ran the same, but then put Track Claw on the 305's, and ran a 11.95 at 117 mph. Then they told me I could not run any more

If I could the front to shift weight to the rears, and use a true 10.5, I think the car "could run" in the 10's somewhere. I can not really open the secondaries until the end of 3rd gear.

Eric
Old 08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear88
just curious what kinda times and speeds you track guys are running? anyone use a G-TECH Pro? i'd like to know your times and what motor and horsepower you guys got going on

0-60 ?
1/4 mile?
horsepower?
engine?

thanks
brad
I've been using the G-tech products for about a decade. The newest meters are best. I bet I have 100 files from assorted cars. Here's a group of four cars I tested in my secret test location. My Cobra set up is in my signature, the other cars were stock as listed. The runs were on diffrent days same location with DAs from about 800 ft to 2000 ft. It was about 47F when I made the Cobra pass and C5 Z06 pass and about 70F for the Gallardo and tt X50. All cars standing start, 12 inch stage, valid runs with zero Gs base line.

Speed data for Superformance Cobra, 06 Lamborghini Gallardo, 03 Corvette Z06, 03 Porsche 996tt X50
Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

FFR 2877 ,stock 4 link,15"ta's mostly stock motor,t5 trans. app. weight 2420lbs. with driver.

1/8 mile ran at www.piedmontdragway.com

Run 1
rt.782 (I didn't know it was a pro tree)
60ft.1.833
330ft 5.478
1/8 8.522
mph 83.02

Run 2
rt.559
60 ft.1.940
330ft 5.600
1/8 8.579
mph 84.41

Run 3
rt.574
60 ft. 1.900
330 ft. 5.510
1/8 8.482
mph 84.47
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

11.90 at 121 mph, 2 second 60 ft (I'm always late out of the gate ).

When I broke into the 11's I was shut down. Had to come back with arm restraints and Nomex jacket. Int the 10's would require full cage here.

Track is currently shut down, no more racing of any kind on Oahu until we get a new track.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Wonder how them motorcycles run without are restraints and roll bars.
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I out ran a 12 Ga. shotgun when my girlfriends husband came home. Don't think it was NHRA sanctioned though. But I have some soiled shorts to prove it.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmiff
I out ran a 12 Ga. shotgun when my girlfriends husband came home. Don't think it was NHRA sanctioned though. But I have some soiled shorts to prove it.
Your lucky he was a poor shot. He likely didn't follow through as he pulled the trigger.