23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2003, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default unique or ffr

you know..just when you think you know what you want, you start looking around, and get more confused....thought i had decided on an FFR, now unique looks interesting.....AHHHH!! opinions????.......which way did you go and why?? thanks for your help
Old 08-23-2003, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb wow!

The two cars are so different.

When I was looking, I tried to ride in every brand I was looking at. Then looked at how the over all kit looked when completed, and asked the owners how hard it was to finish the car.

I think the Unique is closer in appearance to the originals than the FFR does (IMO). It should be more expensive, but I do not know. Go see some finished cars, and bum rides when ever possible!

eric
Old 08-23-2003, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

I love my Unique--great body and a good chassis for a 427. I have friends that built FFR 302's and they are very nice if the right person put it together. Every car has its own good and bad points. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2003, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I started my evaluation about a year ago.

Originally I started with FF5 - I give them full credit for lighting the spark, and then over time evolved to Unique.

I ended up looking to the FIA - doesn't seem right (to me) to put a sb in a bb body style, - however...a bb is also b$, and really, after 300 HP in a 2400 lb street-car toy, ...what does it really matter? Hence I narrowed it down to the FIA (which grows on you - a lot - actually an awful lot). This meant Unique or ERA.

Also, I believe the IRS was well worth the difference (see posts on driveshaft binding on the FF5 site) - the Unique is such great value.

Ultimately, I decided to go the few extra $$ (I am buying the absolute base ERA and doing my own build), and now have an ERA on order, but it was only after a lot of soul searching.

The Unique Deluxe pallet is incredibly well priced when you add it all up (How do they do it, actually?) , with good brakes, excellent glass finish (trust me - see it in person), powder coated frame/chassis, and a spotless reputation. I would recommend it in a second.

My 2 cents, Good luck, luke-44

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 08-23-2003, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Go to the Unique website and look through their factory tour.There is a roller ready to be shipped that has the nicest cloth soft top fitment I have ever seen-appears absolutely drum tight,with no wrinkles at all.The Weavers are very nice, down home folks to talk to,and work closely with Southern Automotive.That may save you some shipping,and they told me that if the engine is delivered there from Southern they would install it at no additional charge(Southern will deliver it to Unique at no additional charge for you).
Old 08-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Different Cars...

It all comes down to what is most important to you and what features and components are more desireable to you.

The FFR...
If you just want to install a modern 302 with fuel injection, and a 5-speed, and don't care about what differential you use, the FFR is a great value. The shape is still a little off, but getting better now. They are really quick too being so light weight and all. I don't want to go on a tangent, but the shape, rollbar, dash, rear quarters, are just off. Functionally, this is a great car though!

The Unique...
If you are looking to build an FIA or 427SC car with either a 351 or FE 390/427/427 and are stuck on having a more original Toploader 4-speed, and want the original style Jag IRS rear configuration, the Unique is a great value and is very hard to beat. The shape is not perfect, but its very close to an original. The glass work is nice, and they look great if body-prepped correctly. The Carrera adjustable suspension and rear tri-bar stabilization system is a nice feature too.

Of the two, and for street use mostly... the Unique is definitely the more authentic looking car, and the UM Deluxe pallet kit is a nice way to go if you don't want to have to build one from scratch. If you had a donor Mustang for cheap, and didn't care about making the higher $$$ upgrades, the FFR sure is a nice way to get into your first Cobra. You could always sell the FFR and upgrade later too. Compare both on a spreadsheet, upgrade vs. upgrade and see what your total is. My good friend added up all the options on the FFR, and it turned out the Unique Pallet kit was a better deal for him. He was looking for something more authentic looking. Sorry, but I'm very partial to the Unique over the FFR for asthetic and component reasons. For the track, I'd seriously consider the FFR just because of the no-brainer and low-cost components that are used and are easily replaceable...

just one person's opinion. Drive in both and compare to see.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb and another thing...

IMO

With the "same amount of effort", I think the Unique finishes out better than the FFR. That is, if you spent the same time on the body of a FFR that you would on a Unique, the Unique would look alot better.

IMO

Eric

PS Oh yeah, I have seen FFR owners buy a Unique, but I have never met an own of a Unique sell it to buy a FFR. This is also IMO, anyone else feel the same?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Great Asp ,

I don't know about that, I may end up with another FFR after selling my Contemporary (which I would never sell for a Unique(no offense to Unique owners))...........If you have never had one, you should not knock them. Bang for the buck, I'll take another FFR any day of the week..........Of course after having an IRS equipped car, the next FFR will have to IRS, as there is nothing else that rides as smooth, or responsive as an IRS equipped car............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-24-2003, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

rem,

If you are looking for a Unique you may want to contact John Nafziger in NJ. He specializes in FE engines and builds Unique bodies onto his custom chassis. He is a great guy and straight shooter. I've seen many of his cars and they are really perfecto.

You can call him at 973-579-1818

Roscoe
Old 08-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

There is a really great Unique for sale here in the Dallas area. Contact Greg Sellards at aviary@comcast.net or give him a call at 817-946-6889

I tried to post a few pictures of the car in my gallery

Good luck!

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 08-24-2003 at 07:56 AM..
Old 08-24-2003, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

MM,

Not knocking them at all. Qualifying IMO the two kits.

Selling your Contemporary?, wow, it's a nice car too. I still think you have to work harder to make a FFR as nice as a Unique, again, IMO.

For the record, I have never owned either. Just going by what I have seen and owners I have talked to. Not knocking anyone, or anything.

Eric
Old 08-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Here is a picture of a Unique

This Unique Motorcars Ltd 427SC replica Cobra can be built for about the same price as comparably equipped (non-donor, new upgrades/parts) FFR.

Maybe someone can post a good side profile picture of what would be considered a comparable FFR, so we can see what they look like side by side. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words depending on what you are looking for.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2003, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

When I did the math a couple of years ago Unique was less than 5K more than FFR. However, I was comparing all either new or refurbished parts. Also keep in mind that I was detailing both cars out more than what others may. I prefer the body shape of the Unique and like the Jag IRS.
No one can argue that there is much less work involved completing a Unique as there is a FFR. The build process is a big part of the Cobra replica experience. For some, the build time of a Unique may be too short.
It is my opinion that because Unique’s deluxe pallet is so complete and that since the suspension and frame are already installed, there is less variety of quality in completed Unique builds as there are with FFR.
This is NOT to be construed to mean that there are not some excellent built FFR’s. In the hands of the right builder any kit will be an excellent looking and performing product. I do personally feel that FFR have gotten an unfair rap because not everyone has the skill sets or attention to details that a more extensive build requires.
I love my Unique and feel that for me, I made the best choice. Good luck in your quest.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The build time is TO short? LOL, that one left my head spinning. I want mine NOW. Roller with engine installed will cover it for me.

Ernie
Old 08-24-2003, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Rem:
Don't know what your budget is, but have you considered buying a used Cobra?

I prefer seat time to elbow grease, and while I do enjoy doing minor work on my car, I would NEVER have wanted to construct the whole thing. That's why I shopped around and bought a completed car. Now is a great time to buy, I got a fantastic deal and continue to see a few out there from time to time on cars from a variety of manufacturers, including Unique and FFR.

I bought a Unique because I was partial to the 289FIA, and because the price of my car was right. By purchasing a used car, I saved $20K compared to what it would cost me to buy it turn-key from Unique, and probably $5-10K compared to what it would cost me to build! All for a car with 2900 easy-miles on it, and had all the little quirks and bugs worked out by the previous owner. Keep in mind that the economy is way down right now, and such as is my case, some previous owner's really need the money. I say that because I don't want you to interpret my good deal as poor resale for Unique's. In fact, I am confident that I'd be able to sell my car for more than I paid, if I so chose to give her up.

What I can say is that I am as happy as I can be with it. It's got a few little things that need attention, but what hand-built car won't? The Weaver family has been extremely helpful and available to answer my questions, even though I didn't buy the car from them. I'd buy another Unique without reservation.

I never owned an FFR, so I can't comment on their customer support. As far as asthetics, I feel the Unique's are the more original-looking of the two cars, but that's just my opinion. To be honest, I've seen beauties and I've seen pieces of crap from both manufacturer's...it just depends on the builder.

Your dream car should not be a rash decision, so be patient. I was in your shoes for about 18 months, checking out all the mfr's, lurking around these forums and going to car shows and events to see the cars and ask questions first hand. Best of luck in your reseach.

Russ

Last edited by Russ Dickey; 08-24-2003 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-25-2003, 03:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Guys, just as an FYI, on another thread, REM has stated a 289FIA bodystyle.........

Case closed as FFR has yet to produce my "promised for August 2000" 289FIA......

Bill S.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmustang

Guys, just as an FYI, on another thread, REM has stated a 289FIA bodystyle.........

Case closed as FFR has yet to produce my "promised for August 2000" 289FIA......

Bill S.
I did??.......
Old 08-25-2003, 04:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmustang

Bill S.
Bill... new member "rem" is not new member "backstay"

please don't close anyone's case for them.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Cool

My mistake, two new members with very similar threads going at the same time.

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by rem

I did??.......

Old 08-25-2003, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Rem,

IMHO all of the Cobras are great machines - it is purely personal choice and you will have fun with any of them.

Price is mentioned often when comparing the cars - primarily the price comes down to three components - quality, authenticity and horsepower.

Quality is not either good or bad - it is a relative measure. Higher quality suspension, better fit and finish, better parts, better paint all cost additional. If those are important to you, you will spend additional money on them.

Authenticity, likewise is a relative thing, some people consider a Cobra authentic only if has a CSX plate on it, others look to the details as the measure.

Horsepower is always a debate, 300-350 HP is plenty if this is your first, enough to have fun - not so much that it leaves seat stains. Again, it is really what is best for you. Some engines can make more HP for less money - a stroked 351 is relatively cheap with huge power potential. An authentic 427 S/O can be very expensive. If this is for the street keep in mind drivability - after all that's what you're building it for.

Personally, I think that regardless of the manufacturer, you will pay about the same amount for the same level of quality and authenticity.

Whatever you finally choose, have fun with it.

Jim