Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2003, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Best Cobra kit?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have a classic Morris Mini Cooper S replica that is lots of fun, but am thinking of building a Cobra next year after my garage is built.

I am in CT, near ERA's factory. People have told me that ERA makes the best kit, and a pal has a 427 that rides as smooth as my 525 Bimmer. I think I want a 289; no need for the big block.

My question to you experts.....

Should I consider other companies, or just go with the ERA?

Thanks...
Old 08-24-2003, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Yes, you should consider Lone Star Classics in Fort Worth Texas. I'm only just a little biased
Old 08-24-2003, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dave; are you affiliated? Or just have one of their cars?
Old 08-24-2003, 05:54 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I can't wait for the my car/company is better than yours flames to start...

You want the best, buy a Kirkham/Shelby.

End of topic.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-24-2003, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please, no slag fest; I just want to learn as much as I can and try to make an informed decision. If you can politely tell me the differences, or where to read up on the various kits, I would appreciate it.......cheers..
Old 08-24-2003, 06:13 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Perhaps giving us your budget would help us narrow down the cars you can actually afford to build. At that time, we can give you an apples to apples comparison of each and ever kit in your projected price range. BB vs SB will play a roll, as well as wether you want a 427SC bodystyle, 289FIA bodystyle, or slabside bodystyle............

Bill S.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

backstay,

Just a satisfied customer. I live about 10 miles from their plant, so that helps, but as an M.E. I can tell you the car is very well designed, and being a 94" streth the lines and proportions of the body I think are just about the best out there. Some 94" and 96" stretches look like a stretched rubber band, but not Lone Stars.

Also, the people are great, they will go the extra mile to make it a positive experience.

So, obviously I am a fan. Feel free to e-mail me any questions.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

backstay,
You're going to find that the answer to that is like asking who makes the best family sedan, or who makes the best lawnmower. It is a matter of opinion.

I think the thing you should decide first is what YOU want most out of the car and what is important. Do you want originality? Light weight? Race? Show?

Once you decide that, then research what kit is best suited to your desires.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I'm just too tired.....I'm going to take a nap.

Roscoe
Old 08-24-2003, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm thinking 289 FIA style, in BRG with white stripes, no side pipes, leather interior, as far under 50k as possible. On further thought, there are so many on the market, probably to buy one already done, but it's got to be a quailty job. I know what you mean about opinions; this sort of thing goes on all the time on the minimania message board where I hang out. Also, I've filled out my profile. On MM board, lots of folks won't waste their time answering a thread if it's a teenager just looking for someone to chat with, which I am not.

Thanks for your thoghts.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by backstay

I'm thinking 289 FIA style, in BRG with white stripes, no side pipes, leather interior, as far under 50k as possible. On further thought, there are so many on the market, probably to buy one already done, but it's got to be a quailty job. I know what you mean about opinions; this sort of thing goes on all the time on the minimania message board where I hang out. Also, I've filled out my profile. On MM board, lots of folks won't waste their time answering a thread if it's a teenager just looking for someone to chat with, which I am not.

Thanks for your thoghts.
Since you are so close to ERA the choice is very simple. ERA does make a very nice car topped only, in my opinion, by the aluminum bodied cars(I still like the ERA shape more!!). You could also look into the Unique FIA car which is also really well built. Look at the manufacturers websites & find a local Cobra club if you can. Put your eyes on as many cobras as you can & pull in all the facts. Take your time, put in the work & you will make the decision best for you.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Check past threads for about three days' worth of nonstop interesting reading.

Go to Cobracountry and order Curt Scott's book: "The Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas". This will help you decide what you need/want/don't want. Although it may not be readily apparent, there REALLY are lots of differences. Then contact ten or so manufacturers for their brochures. Comparing cars in person is the best way to help you make your decision. Sit and ride in the cars, if possible. If your size is an issue, the room in the car may be a big factor in helping you decide. Since you're within relatively easy driving distance of several manufacturers, visit as many as you can to see how the cars are constructed and how the people relate to the cars they're building.

When you know what you're looking at/for, by all means, contact ERA and ask Peter for an appointment to visit their shop. You will be impressed. I don't believe I've ever heard a negative comment regarding the ERA cars or people.

If your garage construction project is going anything like mine, if you order your ERA now you'll receive it about the time your garage is finished.

Last edited by Lowell W; 08-24-2003 at 08:11 AM..
Old 08-24-2003, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

garage not started, going to zoning board of appeals first for a coupla varavariances.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Backstay,

First off welcome to the club. Now for the question. I don't think there is any definitive answer as to which is best. Shelby and Kirkham would have to be at the top, but more from a name standpoint than that the cars are so far superior. If you can get to a local club and look at and ride in several different makes that would be your best way. And finally, after sorting through the maze of stuff in prior posts it comes down to what do you like and feel good with. This is kind of like the big block small block debate ( Turk feel free to enter here ) or the big steering wheel versus small steering wheel. ( Ernie your time ) You will find out more than you probably ever can digest as there are many really knowledgeable people on this club and they all have great ideas. Unfortunately you can't incorporate all the great ideas into one car. Gads, what a car that would be. 1,200 horsepower, every thing known to man kind that can be put on a car, & etc.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 08-24-2003 at 09:13 AM..
Old 08-24-2003, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron. My Mini Cooper S is actually the exact spec I would have ordered but I stumbled upon it already built. M-Tech cars in the UK specializes in restored Mini Woody Wagons with supercharged engines that sell for around 25k US. It was his own car that he'd restored a year or two prior. It already had a 1380cc Swiftune hi-performace engine with 5 speed SCCR gearbox, uprated brakes with kevlar pads, uprated suspension. I had the him fit it with tan leather interior and 6 gauge wood dash for the "sleeper" look. It's dark green Jaguar BRG paint with white roof and bonnet stripes. I would love to have a 289 FIA painted similar with a tow hitch to tow the Cooper on its trailer to Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, etc. for Vintage races and concourse shows. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Uh-oh...Don't say "tow hitch" when you go to ERA!
Old 08-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Uh-oh...Don't say "tow hitch" when you go to ERA!"

We've done a hitch setup on a 427 for someone who wanted to tow their helicopter, but I think that the Mini excedes my "maximum recommended towing capacity"...

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-24-2003, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Backstay,
I've had two ERA cobras in the last ten year,you can't say enough good about the company and how much fun this has been over the years.So without going into a big debate on who makes a better car,the best thing is you like me are in ERAs back yard,can visit any time see your car as it comes thru,close to the paint shop...and best of all pretty much no shipping cost.Ahhhh the shipping cost don't forget every dollar you save buys something else you'll want to buy for the car as you go along.
Put your order in now,cuz that garage will be lonely if you wait till its finished.You can alway pass the car along till your ready
Good luck and welcome
Joe
Old 08-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tow Bar?

,,,,,,we don't need no stinkin' tow bar.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-17-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 08-24-2003, 12:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

A 289FIA as far under 50K as possible leaves you with Unique, followed by the ERA and Contemporary (if you can find one of the 8 they made for sale). Quality wise, it would be an ERA, then Contemporary, then Unique for the same package.......................

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.