Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     
Default Where is your fuse panel?

My 12 year old Cobra still uses the Buss glass fuses, tucked up under the dash, on the firewall where it is hard as hell just to see them. Any good wiring looms or kits for a Cobra? I would prefer the GM-type ATC or ATO fuses; they seem more modern AND reliable. How many circuits do I need? 1. electric fans 2. headlights and tail lights 3. fuel pump 4. stereo and electric antenna! 5. MSD ignition 6. turn signals 7. heater/defroster 8. in-car timer Where are your fuse panels?

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

My fuse pannel is in the right side of the passenger footwell. A carpet pannel is unscrewed to expose it. There are 12 glass Buse fuses. I just replaced the fuse buses (two 6 fuse buses) because after 23 years the rivet connections started loosing contact. Found the exact replacement buses at West Marine. It's not the most convenient location but they are protected and accessible.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 351 windsor bored and stroked tko tremec
Not Ranked     
Cool fuse panel

i havent installed my fuse panel yet but its on an a&c and it will be mounted up under drivers side foot box on left. but i will be using a painless wire kit with a nice looking fuse box. i would check with painless wiring and see if they have just fuse panels
Old 08-28-2003, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Edley, I bought the painless 12 circuit wiring kit. Painless also sells a couple of different fuse panels.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/fuseblock.htm

For whats it's worth...I mounted mine under the dash immediately behind the glove box, but on the inside of the firewall. Sure is hard to see under there..except.

I made a removable back for my glove box. Removes by undoing two screws inside the glove box...remove the back...presto..one fuse block in sight and easy to replace fuses.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Tom and I had the same idea.....
Attached Images

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

My 21 YOA Unique came with the Buss glass fuses located on the fire wall under the hood. A few years ago (at DVSF1) while in caravan, the engine quit.

Checked battery cables.... still good and tight.

Looked at the fuses with the naked eye.... all appeared OK, no burned out "links". What could it be?????

Pulled out the 'ignition' fuse, and it came out in two pieces. It appeared that the glue that holds the end caps to the glass had melted due to under hood temps, then vibration broke one end of the fuse link from the cap. Swapped out the wiper fuse and I was good to go! Still have that fuse taped to my tool box to remind me of that event

Changed over to the blade type fuse box and mounted it under the dash on the inboard fire wall. Got the boxes from AutoZone, two each four circuit boxes. One hot all the time, the other relay controlled when ingnition switch turned on.

Wound up re-wiring the whole car.... after many years so many things were done to "improve" the electrics that there were just too many "extra" wires that didn't go anywhere anymore???

- Jim -

Last edited by Cobra20646; 08-29-2003 at 07:28 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Cobra20646, for the reply! Kind of the same thing happened to my cooling fan switch. Will probably rewire the car soon, with the blade-type fuses.....got a lot of extra wires as well!!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.