Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     
Default The Escape

Practice makes perfect. When my Wife Lynne happens to mention that she has an upcoming out of town conference to attend, my first action is to wander nonchalantly over to the desk calendar, and when she isn't looking, glance down to see if I am working that weekend or not. So when the other day she mentioned that she was driving her new Jag down to Charleston Thursday about midday, coming back Sat, I began my planning phase of the operation. I was told to take a chair down for Becky, our Jr. at Clemson, meaning I had to take the minivan. Then, as usually happens, about four other mothers heard about my upcoming trip to Clemson, about 150 miles south, and dropped by things I was to deliver to their daughters on campus. The kitchen table began to fill with this and that, evening gowns, cases of soda pop, book bags, computer stuff, and so forth. I kept mentally tallying the sizes and weight of the bags and boxes, as I kept re-packing my SPF in my mind.

Lynne left about noon, and I stayed away from home to avoid meeting her, and having her give me some sort of final mission for the trip, and I kept my cell phone accidentally turned off, so I was unreachable. When the coast was clear, I drove home just after she left, stowed what I could in the SPF, fired the Great Stroker up, and headed south. The high white clouds appeared benign, but every afternoon, they become belligerent and hostile to open cars. I had to be prepared for rain. Ran cross country on the rural SC roads, then blasted down the on-ramp to I-85 south, and sure enough, about an hour away, faced a large, dark wall of wet clouds. With the new fabric top being so watertight, but taking about 4 times as long to put on my #672 car as my former "Munster" top, I decided to pull over onto the grass, and erect the new top. I finally put the three part bows on the grass, not being able to assemble the steel apparatus in the air. I was closely watched from behind the curtain of the nearby single wide home.

Eventually got it all put up, rejoined traffic, now on a side road, and then the sky dropped, but I was protected from rain. However, I was absolutely soaked with sweat from the heat and humidity anyway. Got to Sorority Row in the nick of time, and met my stunningly beautiful 21 year old blond Southern Lass coming down the steps. I was quickly surrounded by college kids, campus police, and even a few dogs, all interested in my handsome and by now dry SPF. Some of the college kids were actually pretty knowledgeable about Cobra Replicas. Gave out all the junk, I mean Female College stuff I had brought down, then Becky hopped in, and had me drive thru campus to take her to a 5 pm Rush party. The college was in gridlock! My engine kept boiling over, requiring me to constantly blip the Holley, raising ruckus among the buildings, which is largely why I wanted to drive it down anyway. Got out and put a towel over the passenger's sidepipes so she did not risk burning her Southern legs on the pipes, bid her goodbye, and headed home. I was promptly lost in the new parking lots. I went around and thru them all, just totally unable to find a way to the edge of campus. I went by one corner so many times, the students there sat down on the stone wall, and cheered me every time I came by again. Finally, met a campus police car, and asked how to get out, and he had me follow him to to a departure place. Truth be known, i actually have a college education myself.

Met son Chris about an hour closer to home, we had crab legs at a seafood place, then I jumped into his Boxster, and he belted himself into my car, and we went to join his buddies at a go-cart track. There, we got passes, and then about 6 of us staged in the carts, and took off. Chris and I used our extensive VIR track experience to deftly move thru the track traffic, hitting the apexes just right to carry our speed thru the turns, and just smoked every body. I was black flagged for a while for speeding in the pits. By about 10 pm, having about two hours to home, I left the guys there, and swung the proud nose of my car north, and sped under the dark and foreboding skies. Took the cut off thru the Kings Mountain National Battlefield park, where the patriots kicked English butt, it was a really important victory for the Colonials. But the winding two lane road thru the forest was like being lost in The Lord Of The Rings. So dark and woodsy, and so alone, I knew what Hansel and Gretel felt like when they were in the woods, lost. If I ran off the road, even the vultures would never find me. But eventually, not hitting any deer, come out the other side of the Park, and about an hour later rolled into the garage, tired, soaked from sweat, with blood-shot eyes. About 330 miles or so. The speedo cable came out of the Smiths, so drove by the tach, and one of the top hoop bars lost a bolt, leaving the passenger's side a bit droopy. Nothing a few minutes in the garage won't fix.

Hopefully, when Lynne finds out I did not get all the Girl Stuff down to Clemson, I can apologize, and lay low until she leaves again, leaving me to plan my next trip.

hal

By the way, i never did read the subsequent posts to my departure about a month ago, let by-gones be by-gones. We'll start over now.

all the best
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 09-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Hal , nice ta see ya again

KK
Old 09-04-2003, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

YEAH - HES BACK!!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Welcome back Hal!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-04-2003, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Right on Hal......

Glad your back. No need to read the other posts - we all came to battle for you.....

David

Now - I just need to have you toggle the Accusump....
Old 09-04-2003, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Thanks Hal.

I am very happy you are back.

Pat Buckley
Old 09-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Fun Story!

Hal,
Nice to see people out there who actually drive their Cobras, and not afraid of getting wet. I always enjoy reading your real stories.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

You were never gone from my mind...excellent stuff as usual.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Welcome back. I can relate to the nasty T-storms in the PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the story. Your contributions are enjoyed by many!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Welcome back, Hal!! Great story, as usual. Keep 'em coming!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hal, you're a junkie just like the rest of us..

Wecome back!

Hersh
Old 09-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Welcome back Hal, although I am fairly new to the site I enjoyed reading your posts, they have such "Life".....Thanks, and keep m comin................
Old 09-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh man, I am SO stoked dude!!!! Hals back and with a GREAT story (as usual).

Ha ha,,,I can relate to the kids sitting on the wall and cheering as you drove by. That happened to me on the North Shore recently with a bunch of surfers. I blipped the throttle while stuck in traffic and a might roar from the crowd went up! So I blipped it again, and the crowd was on their feet, cheering me on!

Gotta love the magic of a Cobra!

Ernie
Old 09-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Talk about a post (and another) with style and why taking the high road is always the best way. Cheers to you Hal.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another great Hal story!!! Glad your back Hal!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

You were missed. chuck
Old 09-04-2003, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Hal, welcome back, ..everyone loves your stories...

But:

You should not have mentioned the "stunningly beautiful 21 year old daughter"............. (knowing what most gasholes {and others..you know who you are} have on their minds!)

AND: Be sure to keep the DOGS away from your WHEELS.. they are magnetically attracted to them
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 09-04-2003, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3639, 5.0 EFI
Not Ranked     

Great story, Hal. Sounds like you're really enjoying that SPF.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Hals Back?

I told you he'd come back...................

They always come back