Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Superformance title blocked by CA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/45065-superformance-title-blocked-ca.html)

Anthony 09-05-2003 02:00 PM

Superformance title blocked by CA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2431016118

HIQ 09-05-2003 02:05 PM

Does it have a Titles Unlimited Title and they just don't want to get caught up in things in California?

mrmustang 09-05-2003 02:12 PM

From Anthem Motors LLC

"This car was on eBay once in July and did not sell as the owner's
reserve was set at $45,000 at that time.

Title block issue... According to the owner this car was titled in
California as a 1965 car in 1999. It should have been titled as 1999
Special Construction and now you cannot renew the registration in
California. According to the owner you cannot retitle the car in
California again and it needs to be sold out of state.

If you have other questions, please call or email me.

John"

jocflier 09-05-2003 02:18 PM

A little history;

The car was first listed in Jan. 03 in Cobra Country..I contacted the seller and he was up front about it having reg. problem in california and would not/could not sell it to someone in Calif..The seller in turn traded it in on a new SPF at Hillbank..You can still see a photo of that car there..

It looks like Hillbank shipped it out to Ariz. to be sold out of state..There is nothing wrong with the car as far as in know. But it can not be reg. in calif..Seller did say he would have like to have kept the car, but it was going to cost to much to re-reg..So he just brought a new SPF..

Good luck

Rick

Randy Rosenberg 09-05-2003 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jocflier

A little history;

The car was first listed in Jan. 03 in Cobra Country..I contacted the seller and he was up front about it having reg. problem in california and would not/could not sell it to someone in Calif..The seller in turn traded it in on a new SPF at Hillbank..You can still see a photo of that car there..

It looks like Hillbank shipped it out to Ariz. to be sold out of state..There is nothing wrong with the car as far as in know. But it can not be reg. in calif..Seller did say he would have like to have kept the car, but it was going to cost to much to re-reg..So he just brought a new SPF..

Good luck

Rick

I've spoken with the original owner (who sold it to Hillbank) and the above explanation is accurate.

The car is just fine, as are many SPFs... The title is blocked in CA ONLY, in similar fashion to the "Continuation Cobras" that Shelby built about 20 years ago.

Again, this is a fine SPF for anyone outside of CA.

Regards,
Randy R...

mikiec 09-05-2003 03:21 PM

I have seen the car in question, I have ridden in the car in question. very nice.

I can get most questions answered quickly. The car is located about 3 miles from me.

Mike

SCOBRAC 09-05-2003 03:27 PM

There may have been some hanky-panky with the original sale, e.g. the first owner under valued the car for tax purposes or perhaps tried to pull a fast one at the BAR when using the SB100 registration process (said the motor was a 1966 460) .

The title isn't "blocked" there is just something that needs to be cleared up prior to releasing the reg. Probably several thousand dollars in fees. Or it could be it has a late model engine and needs late model smog control, catalyic converters, et al...

HIQ 09-05-2003 03:36 PM

So the original owner did all this to himself just to save a few $$$ on registration fees? Crazy!

SCOBRAC 09-05-2003 03:43 PM

Not few dollars...

Tax & liscence in Calif. on a new car generally is 10% of the value the first year. $5000-$6000. would not be unrealistic for a nice Cobra. $8500 on an $85,000 CSX.

I'm not saying that's what happened... I'm just saying it happens.

Mr.Fixit 09-05-2003 03:48 PM

I believe the car was titled wrong in CA, so to get CA licence, it has to be done as if it was just built today, which is a chunk of change in taxes.

Rogers 09-05-2003 05:21 PM

Lets face it ...after building two cobras and having to title both...as the current year of the title...you cannot title a 2000+special constructed vehicle as a 1965. The manufacturers will give you a MSO and it can say anything it wants i.e. 1966 but it will also state that it is a "specially constructed vehicle". This statement on the MSO pretty much screws you into titling that car for any other year. Good luck with out of state titling services. California has some special program...with limited applications...available each year to let someone pass under the emissions laws. I'm not an authority here...but I have 2 large screws in me from the state of Mo.

mr bruce 09-05-2003 05:35 PM

Once a car is given a VIN, it has that VIN FOR LIFE. I don't know how you "erase" a VIN , and start over.(if you know, there are thousands of car thieves that would like to know) Run that VIN thu your particular state DMV, it should sho the car as titled in California. How your state would handle the title is in the famous, "grey area"

Randy Rosenberg 09-05-2003 05:57 PM

STOP JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FACTS!!!

STOP ACCUSING POEPLE OF WRONG DOING WHEN YOU HAVE NO F*UCKING CLUE!!!

The fact is the original owner of the vehicle purchased the SPF 100% legally within the state, and paid every penny in tax and registration.

The fact is the DMV doesn't accept a Specially Constructed Vehicle purchased within the state as a completed vehicle, under SB100. Go read the fine print: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

For these facts alone the car is not titleable in CA and is for sale outside of CA. That's it.

Those are the facts. NO ONE IS CHEATING ANYONE!!!

Some of you people are just clueless.

Excaliber 09-05-2003 06:20 PM

OK,,,so the FIRST time a newly built "Cobra" (SPF or whatever) comes up for registration it can be done under SB100 (500 cars a year).

Year of "model" is determined by APPEARANCE of MOTOR or APPEARANCE of the CAR in general, as determined by the BAR guy. Therefore does NOT have to be a 1966-XX actual year motor, except for appearance.

So now you got your car registered, cool. SO you gonna sell it, but NOW it is a COMPLETED CAR, it no longer qualifies under SB100 rules. The registration CANNOT be transferred to a new owner. The new owner cannot apply under SB100.

Looks to me like: You get ONE chance to license your "Cobra" in Calif., you can check in, but you can never leave. The car cannot be sold in Calif. again.

Of course people ARE re-selling their "Cobras" there, I'm not sure HOW they do that. But if it's totally legal, it isn't being done under SB100.

Did I get this right???? :CRY:

Ernie

G.R. 09-05-2003 08:00 PM

Ernie
Sort of sounds like "Hotel California", " check in but you can never check out"--and I thought Washington was bad with taxes and all--that would be a real pisser to not be able to register/sell your car in the state you supposedly have it registered in

Excaliber 09-05-2003 08:19 PM

You know,,,,I bet this is the kind of stuff Calif's don't like to discuss. Just a feeling, I don't know! I'm not real anxious to discuss the various "in's and out's" of registering in Hawaii!

Ernie

Mark Roe 09-05-2003 08:37 PM

Randy

Ya forgot to exclude the "u" in f*ucking-------------:D

Mark

Back in Black 09-05-2003 09:39 PM

We checked out AND left !

Therefore the Eagles were wrong.

It was not easy to accomplish.. But looking back it was maybe the 3rd or 4th best decision I ever made. ;)

dexter 09-06-2003 06:48 AM

Point of clarification: You cannot title a turnkey vehicle under SB 100 as an SPCN (i.e., you went to a dealer and bought a completed car, including motor and transmission). Once a title has been properly issued to the owner under SB 100 (now SB 1578), the car can be sold, and resold, and resold, ad infiniteum. SB 100/ SB 1578 deal with the initial registration in California. Once the title has been issued, the car can be sold just like any other car. I specifically asked this question of the people in Sacto head DMV when I registered my car & that was the answer.

mrmustang 09-06-2003 07:53 AM

So, the question remains, with a "tainted" California title, will the new owner be able to register and title his car properly. I know here in NJ, any out of state title is sent back to the state it was issued from, cleared by the original issuing state, then sent back to NJ. NJ then issues a NJ certificate of title to the vehicle in question..............Could there be a potential problem here.............

Bill S.