Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2003, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     
Default Z06 Fest--Bowling Green

Just returned from attending the Z06 Fest at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. I was returning the favor to my brother, who came to Columbus for DVSFIII. He rode in my ERA there and I was with him in his Z06 at Bowling Green. It was a great time mixing with another bunch of Muscle Machine guys. Reminded me of the DVSFIII in Columbus, OH, but with different cars: story telling, auto-Xing, drags, looking at cars, burning rubber, drinking, eating, law enforcement, perfect weather, planning for next year . . .
Attached Images

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 09-15-2003, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Burn outs.. you got to be kidding me.. how irresponsible is that.. can you believe someone would do that....
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 09-15-2003, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Speed220,

You're a good brother!!! But I'll bet you have to admit that the DVSF was more fun... A bunch of factory ZO Corvettes sitting around with the hoods up has to get pretty redundant very fast.
I'm assuming after looking at the picture that the Zo does not have a soft top... not a covertible in the bunch that I can see..
Old 09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Z06's offered ONLY in that hardtop body style. GM making the decisions for ya!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

casaleenie,

I did have more fun at DVSFIII, but the Z06 Fest was still fun. They are performance car nuts lot like us. Some leave their cars alone, but most Z06 owners can't stand to leave their cars stock, so it's rare to see a Z06 that hasn't been tweaked one way or another. A day at the drag strip showed most cars run in the low 13's to high 12's. One with extensive engine mods and slicks ran 11.65 @ 120 mph. Not bad in anyone's book.

Talk about burnouts, the motel parking lot was coated solid with fresh rubber by the end of the week.

Al, how's this for irresponsible? A his-and-her couple returning to their motel from auto-Xing pulled over in front of a van at about 120 mph when three lanes blended to two. The van was full of Kentucky Highway patrol officers! After being followed to their motel and blocked in by these patrolmen until three patrol cars arrived, a fellow Z06 owner, who also happened to be a patrol officer, stepped in and did a lot of talking to keep this couple from being hauled off to the slammer and their cars from being confiscated. They were cited for reckless driving instead.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 09-16-2003 at 06:14 AM..
Old 09-16-2003, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Tom,

When my wife gets tired of getting wet, cold and hot from no comfort items in the Cobra... It'll be a Corvette Z06 for us... Hopefully that will be a few years down the road... Had a couple Corvettes in the past and loved both of them...
Old 09-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spent last weekend with the Z06 at Thunderhill Raceway--the car's limits are very high for a car you can also use to get the groceries, especially at the price. The only real complaints I have are that the car has too much techno electro gizmo stuff, and it feels too big after having had a Contemporary for 7 years. And, there's a kind of visceral connection you make with a Cobra, real or replica, that just isn't there with modern cars.

TT
Old 09-16-2003, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,
I agree. The Z06 comes with all the creature comforts: CD player, automatic memory seat and steering wheel adjustments, power this and that, A/C, a roof with power windows, sound deadening, readouts galore . . . I get all those things with my Lincoln. In the Cobra, there's the rumbling exhaust, heat, cold, wind, rain, sun, big eyes, questions, thumbs up, none of which are available in the Vette.

Check out the mural in the National Corvette Museum. Note the Cobra about to pass--lap maybe--the Grand Sport!
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

The C5 and the Z06 are most likely the best bang for the buck.. I think..
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 09-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Al,

Had no problem with Ferrari 355 challenge car or Porsche TT.

TT
Old 09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5
Not Ranked     

First of all I'd like to say I enjoyed the Spring Fling in Columbus with all the Cobras although I was the only Z06.

There were 13 Z06's that caravaned together from West Virginia to Bowling Green for the Z06 Fest at the Museum. We represented Mass., New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Michigan and West Virginia. For that 500 mile stretch we averaged 83 mph and I averaged 25.2 mpg. Some of the others averaged a little less because they never went to 6th gear like I did.

The week was full of driving school, autocross, Corvette plant tours, road trips, performance seminars, drag racing, BBQ's, auctions and door prizes. I won an interior prize worth $800 so that alone was worth the trip.

NE Caravan to the Z06 Fest

It's true that the Z06 does not come in a convertible but better things are to come. A Z06 design engineer told us that all C6's will be faster than the present Z06. They will be 7" shorter and a little wider. He went on to say that the C6 Z06 will be faster than the factory Viper.

Looking forward to your next Spring Fling.

Come visit us on www.Z06vette.com.

Last edited by DRAGON; 09-22-2003 at 11:41 AM..