24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2003, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default "AC" badge vs. Cobra Snake badge??

When is it appropriate to use the "AC" badge on the nose, trunk, and steering wheel as opposed to the round Cobra badge with the snake on it you see most of the time?? What were they used for originally?? (new guy tring to learn so be gentle...)
Old 10-13-2003, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

It all depends on what oyu want to say with your Cobra!

If you are in UK/Europe you may be more inclined to say AC Cobra but as you are Stateside, I would think you are more a Shelby kinda Guy! The cars were originally made with AC badges, but these were quickly replaced with (to start with) Shelby Cobra badges, then just the 'Snakehead' we know so well.
I guess there are a lot less AC badged Cobras your way, so maybe a nice talking point for you to buck the trend?!

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 10-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Shelby Cobras all had the Cobra emblem except the early models which stated "Shelby" on the nose and trunk I believe.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Correctomundo oh Realness. The early "Shelby" tags were those little winged things.

I'm currently running without any signage, save for the KK pedals. I'm still waiting for the gents in Provo to make the proper KK badges I've cried for since I took delivery.

If they are not forthcoming, I'm planning on having someone cast me some badging featuring my butt crack.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamo

If they are not forthcoming, I'm planning on having someone cast me some badging featuring my butt crack. [/b]

That's gotta add some weight to the car.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is appropriate to put AC badges on the car IF it is an AC. It is appropriate to put Shelby Cobra badges on a car IF it is a Shelby Cobra.

Why mark the car as something it is not?
Old 10-13-2003, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3243. 5.0 (for now), 5-spd.
Not Ranked     

galaxy,

My early research on the subject led me to believe the the original Cobras, the 289 cars, were made in England by AC and shipped to Shelby in California for installatin of the power train.

Those cars had the AC badge and were known as "AC-Cobras".

When Shelby wanted to upgrade the car to to use the 427, and there were several reasons to do that, the Brits balked at putting that much power in the car, they said it is too much for the chassis. That is where the Shelby quote "Too Much Is Just Right" is said to have originated.

Shelby brought the majority of the manufacturing to California and modified the chassis to accept the big block with such upgrades as stronger material for the chassis, A-Frame coil spring front suspension, in lieu of the AC's transverse leaf spring, wider body to accept the bigger tires and a stronger transmission and rear end for the added power.

These cars had the Snake/Shelby badge and were known as "Shelby Cobras".

There are probably 289 Cobras out there with the Snake/Shelby badges but I believe that they were changed out after the development of the other badge that depicted the Shelby name.

Correction comments are welcomed.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I thought the original FIA cars had no badges front, rear or sides, anybody know for sure.

Randy
Old 10-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CRZN427

Shelby brought the majority of the manufacturing to California and modified the chassis to accept the big block with such upgrades as stronger material for the chassis, A-Frame coil spring front suspension, in lieu of the AC's transverse leaf spring, wider body to accept the bigger tires and a stronger transmission and rear end for the added power.
There really was no difference in manufacturing by AC, between the 289 and the 427 product lines. Both were finished by AC to approximately the same level.

I don't believe SA ever left an AC badge on their vehicles.
The first batch of 289 Cobras got this badge:

During the first year, the reference to AC was dropped and this became the 289 badge:

After (approx) the first year, the badge changed to the one we all recognize as the "standard Cobra" emblem, also used throughout the 427 production.

As far as the steering hub is concerned, all 289's had the AC emblem.

For the 427's, it is not as clear.
The first 427's...the Comp cars... had no hub emblem.
The silver and black Cobra emblem seems to be the most prevalent for most of the 427's.
One source cites the red-white-and-blue Cobra emblem as aftermarket and actually made for the 1965 GT-350s, and may have been used on some 427s

Randy... nice catch on a bit of trivia.. the FIA cars had no badging on any side.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

That's the little winged things I was talking about.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Default That..

...second emblem was one of two "flathead" Cobra emblems....Pete brock was so disgusted with these that he designed the "definitive" Cobra emblem we all know and love. Brock took personally the graphics and designs for many of the things we take for granted with Shelby....the emblem, the "Cobra, Cobra, Cobra T-shirts, the GT350 stripes, the the "CS" logo. Pete was and is a designer of the first degree.

Too bad he git boned by the boss and and now is "persona non grata" with CS.......

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-13-2003, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA w/393 c.i. Windsor
Not Ranked     

The original 289 FIA cars did not have nose or decklid badges or the common "Powered by Ford" badges on the sides
Old 10-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Pete Brock was one of the key ingredients to the Cobra success, much like Remington, Dowd, and Ohlsen.

No matter how "some" people would like to rewrite history, trying to exclude Brock from the Shelby story is tantamount to putting toothpaste back in the tube. It ain't gonna happen.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Ron-

Were the 427 Comp cars totally devoid of any emblems on the steering wheel?

Pat

If so, I have just saved some money and come up with a great idea....
Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by PatBuckley

Were the 427 Comp cars totally devoid of any emblems on the steering wheel?
Altho many today (in restored shape) have a hub emblem, early pics, as raced, show no hub emblem.
Cobrajames likes this.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

You mean no hub cover and just showing the bolt like mine, or just a blank hub cover?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

...showin' the bolts; no cap.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2003, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by HIQ

It is appropriate to put AC badges on the car IF it is an AC. It is appropriate to put Shelby Cobra badges on a car IF it is a Shelby Cobra.

Why mark the car as something it is not?
It would be appropriate to badge an AC as an AC. Even a Shelby....as they had the AC badges taken off on delivery from England.

OK,the legalities of mis-badging a replica are an area we all know about, copyrights & TM`s. But if you want the look, it`s up to you.
Quote:
Originally posted by CRZN427

galaxy,

My early research on the subject led me to believe the the original Cobras, the 289 cars, were made in England by AC and shipped to Shelby in California for installatin of the power train.

Those cars had the AC badge and were known as "AC-Cobras".

When Shelby wanted to upgrade the car to to use the 427, and there were several reasons to do that, the Brits balked at putting that much power in the car, they said it is too much for the chassis. That is where the Shelby quote "Too Much Is Just Right" is said to have originated.

These cars had the Snake/Shelby badge and were known as "Shelby Cobras".

There are probably 289 Cobras out there with the Snake/Shelby badges but I believe that they were changed out after the development of the other badge that depicted the Shelby name.

Correction comments are welcomed.
Correction comments! ALL original Cobra Chassis were made at AC`s factory in Thames Ditton. All the bodies were made for or by AC in England. ALL Shelby`s Cobras arrived as a "turnkey minus" via air or seafreight.
Certainly Shelby made improvements & modifications that may have made their way into production, but that was all done at AC`s factory.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 10-14-2003, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

HIQ,

Anyone who thinks my car is "real" because of the badges is a DUNTZ - the antithesis of HIQ. Check out my hood scoop for crying out load - my car is a COBRA hotrod with badges - (shelby) sue me.
I can appreciate what you say but carroll needs to let it rest already. I have contributed thousands of dollars to his operation because I own a replica - if they weren't around he wouldn't have my money.

I AM stepping down of the soap box now and going to the garage to clean my COBRA badge.

Oh - the thread - USA Cobra badges; Europe AC badges.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked