Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Most Favorite ORIGINAL Automotive Sports Car Design (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/46501-most-favorite-original-automotive-sports-car-design.html)

Cal Metal 10-21-2003 11:12 AM

Most Favorite ORIGINAL Automotive Sports Car Design

Weigh in with your thoughts on the best ORIGINAL automotive sports car design(s) of all time. The Cobra probably doesn't qualify as its styling cues are pretty derivative in nature.

We can always argue about the ORIGINALITY of everyone's choice. There are a few out there that were very original and never replicated.

Give it your best shot.

CSX 4027 10-21-2003 11:33 AM

One comes to mind

1961 Jaguar E-Type Coupe

ToyCollector 10-21-2003 11:43 AM

I second the Jaguar E-type. Absolutely revolutionary styling and price/performance at the time. The whole series of Porsche 911s also hold a special place in time as well. Absolute stunning engineering design concept that is still going strong.

avanti-176 10-21-2003 11:44 AM

1953 Studebaker Starliner
1963 Studebaker Avanti

Niether one can be called a derivative of another car of their era
IMHO

Have a good one,
Dan

avanti-176 10-21-2003 11:52 AM

I didn't notice the SPORTS car designation but I am going to leave the 53' starliner in there anyways.

so there!:D

Have a good one,
Dan

mrmustang 10-21-2003 11:52 AM

The mustang.

http://www.fraserdante.com/65mustred2.JPG

An American "Sports Car" for the masses.

Bill S.
(what did you expect)

casaleenie 10-21-2003 12:04 PM

MGA Roadster... I don't know if or who they copied that car design from but it's a classic... and probably one of the worst mechanically. It was a love/hate relationship....

Lew Ledyard 10-21-2003 12:15 PM

Lance Reventlow/ Troutman Barnes Scarab.

Cal Metal 10-21-2003 12:15 PM

Interesting consensus on the Jag E-Type. A number of years ago, an opinion polll was run by one of the big automotive journals regarding this question. They polled enthusiasts, designers, and automotive writers. The reduced the selection to the Top Ten designs of all time. The number one car was the Jag E-Type.

Fred Douglass 10-21-2003 12:18 PM

Three-way tie!

Ferrai Barchetta (c. 1949), Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, Jaguar C-type:D

CSX 4027 10-21-2003 12:23 PM

Avanti Dan

I once met the designer of the Studebaker/Packard Hawk.
-I don't remember his name though...Neat car

CSX 4027 10-21-2003 12:26 PM

Cal

I am actively looking for a series one e coupe as we speak. It has always been a fantasy car of mine and while certainly more prissy than a Cobra, it is just a timeless design with the smoothest lines of just about anything ever built.

Excaliber 10-21-2003 12:42 PM

Original design.......tough one!

I think the Jag E-Type is the ONLY car in the Museum of Modern Art. It is their because it IS considered "Art".

The Studebaker Avanti is something I think of as a "timeless" design. One of the few cars that still looks "modern" after all these years! BUT, does it fit the VERY illusive definition of "sports car"? The "definition" alone could be a whole new thread!

1959 Ferrari 250 TR. But I worry about the "original" criteria called for in the question!

Ernie

avanti-176 10-21-2003 01:20 PM

Ernie,
You are exactly right on the definition of "sports car" that could be debated for hours. I guess the main reason I think of the Avanti as a sports car is because it seems the overall largest thing that comes into consideration when people talk of "sports"
car is SPEED. And since the Avanti went out and set 20 something
american speed records which it held onto alot of them for a long time until the ZR1 and Viper came along, to me that puts it in the sports car catagory.(at the very least the muscle car catagory).

Also it is one of the few cars to be in the smithsonian I believe under the catagory of art.(not sure about the art thing but I know there is one in the smithsonian)

have a good one,
Dan

Cal Metal 10-21-2003 01:31 PM

We can play loose with the Sports Car definition. The Mustang wouldn't really fall into that category but, what the heck, it was probably the most successful segment car of all time and it was truly an American original in thought and design.

CSX 4027 10-21-2003 01:34 PM

Mustang

Not a "Sport" Car until Carroll made it that way.
Sports Cars I would think are limited to 2 seaters.

avanti-176 10-21-2003 01:45 PM

"2 Seats"

Steve,
On some level I tend to agree with that. But then again I don't.
Very confused. Oh well....

Have a good one,
Dan

p.s. I'll let you go tell the guys who own a Ferrari 456m that they don't own a sports car.:D

CSX 4027 10-21-2003 01:50 PM

Seats

I guess there are exceptions.
12 Cylinder Ferrari's because they originally made sports cars then detuned the 12's for GT Cars or Street cars.

The Ford Mustang? Then I guess you have to include the Pontiac GTO and the one with the Birdie on the hood.

avanti-176 10-21-2003 02:01 PM

Now that I think about it.....

I think it be safer to try to tell the guy in the "4 seat" Ferrari that it is not a sports car than try and convince some guy in a GTO or Z28 or something that his is not a sports car;) :D

have a good one,
Dan

RedCSX 10-21-2003 02:09 PM

MERCEDES 300SL GULL WING

I personally think the MERCEDES 300SL GULL WING is timeless and one the the nicest cars in history. Could sit and look at one for hours but would rather drive one! To think that car was designed in the mid 50's is mind blowing.:D