LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     
Default tonneau cover

I am debating on adding the tonneau cover option to my up coming car,it's 750 installed,is it gonna be that cool to have ? or should I wait and do it myself later if I really want it ? I think they look racy cool,but that seems like a lot of money,,Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 10-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Misfit,
consider that I got mine in lieu of a folding top ("don't need no steenkin top"), so I wanted "something". I like having mine...it gives me a little peace of mind, takes up almost no room, offers a small amount of weather protection, and some privacy if you have the car out in public without close supervision. It also does a fair job of keeping dust out on windy days. Works well for me.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I agree with mr0077, and would like to add that a tonneau, with just the passenger side installed/zipped up/snapped on/whatever, will help keep you a wee bit warmer on those blustery cool fall and winter days and nights!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

thanks for the advice guys,,is it worth 750 ? versus buying the one from cobra restores for 250 and installing myself ? Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 10-31-2003, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

If you have an upoholstery shop that specializes in marine covers or auto upholstery shop nearby, you may be able to have one made and custom fitted for less than $750 I would imagine. You may want to give that venue a try. If you have a roll bar, this is especailly important for a good fit.

The only thing you want to be aware of is that the tonneau cover snap attachments are typically metal which over time will raise some wear issues on your paint in the pin area. You may want to discuss this with the folks at the upholstery fabricators. Mine were crafted with just the hole for the tonneau pins to enter. The leather protectes the paint surface.

Cheers.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 10-31-2003, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

If you're reasonably handy you can do it yourself. I fitted mine myself with good results...a hole punch will be useful. Mine had self-adhesive felt pads that stick to the bottom of the "lift-a-dot" fittings to protect the paint. Art is right, if you go with a kit, be sure it has a provision for the roll bar, and fit it as snug as you reasonably can. Also, those dam%#$@&** body pins are fragile little buggers, don't overtighten, and make sure the hole is big enough to screw 'em into...twist one off and you got a "wee" little problem...
Old 10-31-2003, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

For what it is worth...
I had one for my ERA. I used it once during the entire year I owned the car.
It sat in the pouch folded nice and neat. When I needed to use it, unless it has relaxed a while in the sun and was soft it was a b**ch to stretch it and to put it on.

Unless you leave yours always fastened and just use the zipper to let yourself in, it was NOT worth the money.

In colder climates it could be more difficult to install, especially if it is a tight fit.

TURK
Old 10-31-2003, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine cost me about $385 installed with all of the "Lift-The-Dots" included. This was custom made to fit my car, the pouch over the wheel, velcro around the bar and zipper down the center. I use mine all the time, I will not let it sit without it on unless I just run in somewhere quick or am at a car show. When I started searching for the options I didn't like the prices from Cobra parts dealers and then when the quote came back low from the same shop that did my interior I decided to have it custom made to fit. Mine fits taught but not tight, of course I leave it on all the time too. I also will not drive with mine on as the wind will still buffet the paint, I did this a few times and started seeing some marks on the paint right behind the passenger seat, I buffed then out and drive without the top and everything's okay.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Misfit,

I purchased on for my ERA and have used it several times. It is nice to be able to "button up" the car on occasion. As we are just coming into our cool weather season in Texas, I have not had a chance to test it's warming capability.

However, $750 sounds like a lot of money. My tonneau cover, fitted, from ERA was less than half that amount.

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock ,350 chevy, jag axles
Not Ranked     

seems pretty expensive to me. Mine cost 366 Euros, that prox. 400$.

There was a thread here a few weeks ago where people talked about strangers sitting in their car when they returned after a while; look this up, and you will be glad to have the possibility to button it up when leaving her alone for a while.

This is a mans world, but what would it be without a cobra!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Wild Thing,
They were sitting in MY car. I doubt it that the tonneau cover would have stopped this bunch. They wee not even so much moved when I asked them what the "heck" they were doing.
A Chienese family at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

Hell, I must have been blind. Couldn''t I see what they were doing?
They were taking turns getting in and out of the car to get their pictures taken.

Do you how annoying it is to assist someone to get out of your car so that they won't hurt the door or step on the white pipes?

Someone whom you did NOT help get in the car at the first place?

I was nice. Surprised?

I drove off and shot at three French tourists on the way home.