Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I was in a "bah-humbug" kind of mood (just finished shopping at the mall.....yikes), and thought about doing a list........but I decided to work on my CHRISTAMS list instead, and try and get back into the Christmas spirit.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

......I'll put together a replica list for people to shout about after New Years!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Steve C.

Anything Chevrolet built, whether it was a copy of a 53 Vette or a 56 Belair, WOULD be a Real Chevrolet.

Smart ones would know which one was built in the 50s and which ones were built in 2003.

Didn't Ford do something like that with Thunderbird. It was a REAL Thunderbird alright, and I doubt it anyone would confuse the original with the new issue. it was Real though.

No different with Shelby Cobras.

Hell they are even numbered differently. Many on this forum would not confuse the two. Some would want to blur the differences, but they are there.

If Shelby sold the name to someone else, 10 hears later Joe Blow was building the Shelby Cobra, it still would be a Shelby Cobra.

Isn't Ferrari still in production? It is still a Ferrari regardless of the current ownership. Real Ferrari, just not one of those that were built in the 60s.

You are not confused. We are!!

TURK
Old 12-16-2003, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Replicas

Thanks Turk,

I think my confusion comes from the words "real" and "original".

New Shelbys are a "real" Cobra, they are just not an "original" Cobra.

Also, I sometimes think owners like to blur the distinction. When someone asks, "Hey mister is that a real Cobra?", aren't they really asking if it's an original? I wonder how many answer, "Yes, it's real, but not an original". Maybe some, maybe all, maybe very few.

I'm not confused anymore.

Thanks again,

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."
Old 12-17-2003, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ranking ?? Easy!

1 Mine
2 Everyone Else's

You see only mine really matters to me as it's the only one I have control over.
Other's are nice to look at but mine is MINE!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If someone answers the question "Is it Real?" with a unequivical "Yes", knowing full well he question meant "Is it an Original", they are fibbing.

The question posed wasn't "Is that a Shelby Cobra". I suppose you can answer that one with a quick "Yes" and let it slide.

I have never been asked if mine was real where I thought they wanted to know if it was a CSX4000. Most people don't know about the current Shelby production.

There is nothing wrong in telling the truth and saying, No it is NOT a Real Cobra. It wasn't built in the 60s, but it is a Shelby Cobra that was built two years ago.

You end up in a dialogue, 9 out of 10 times they ask more questions and tell you that they didn't know Shelby was back at building them again, and what they cost and if they are different than the originals etc. etc.

More information is shared and they don't seem to think any less of the car, because it is NOT an original. It is more truthfull that way.

Then again, that is me!!

TURK

Last edited by Turk; 12-17-2003 at 08:30 AM..
Old 12-17-2003, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Stephen,

I usually answer that question, "If it were real, it wouldn't be on the street, but probably in a museum....and no it wasn't manufacturered by Shelby."
Old 12-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!

I am currently in negotiations to purchase the rights to the 'Shelby' and 'Cobra' names! Details are forth coming but plans are being made and partnerships are being drawn up. I am going to re-body Miatas and give them new CSX8000 series serial numbers. The new Shelby Cobra will be finished by our newest partner, Earl Scheib of the car painting fame. Interiors will be colored to match as a no cost extra feature (got a great deal on this one. Earl just leaves the windows down when he paints).

A REAL Shelby Cobra in every garage!!!!!!!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-17-2003, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick....you're really askin' for it!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by clayfoushee

Rick....you're really askin' for it!
What? You thought I was joking?

Not meant to stir the pot nor create any sort of dialog just a little humor. Besides, if I did do that then the cars would be REAL Shelby Cobras now wouldn't they!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-17-2003, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Replicas

Turk:

I agree with your observation that most folks don't even know Shelby is again manufacturing Cobras.

This supports my premise that when they ask, "Is it real?", they are actually asking, "Is it an original?"

I guess your answer depends how honest you want to be and how much of an ego you have.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think most Cobra owners are in fact truthful concerning that question. Certainly all the ones I know are. No big deal, people still love the car.

Ernie
Old 12-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Most of what Turk last said above I agree with. However, there is nothing wrong or misleading by saying "Yes its a REAL Cobra newly manufactured by Shelby American. Its a new Continuation Series Cobra from Shelby American". They can then think whatever they want after that it doesn't matter to me.

However, I have always whereever possible given people that clarification as to the car and nearly everyones reaction that I've seen accepts the car as a REAL Cobra and many times I heard many say "wow this is the REAL deal" or "yeah I heard he started making Cobras again so this is one of them" They clearly don't see it as as just a "replica". Thats been my experience in the vast majority of cases.

When people ask me "is that REAL?" I say yes because it is. Period. Wherever possible I explain its history as above.

Last edited by REAL 1; 12-17-2003 at 11:01 AM..
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Rick,

Yep you're right if you pull off buying the rights to the name, your cars would be real Shelby Cobras.....but maybe you could get a the price down a little more if you could also arrange to acquire chassis from Kia or Hyundai. You might even find a warehouse full of Yugo components somewhere.......
Old 12-17-2003, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by someone, not sure who

When people ask me "is that REAL?" I say yes because it is. Period.
Top ten reasons not to act like this at a vintage racing event

1.) They will eventually announce your name over the loudspeaker demanding that your car be removed from the Concourse Corrall for original cars.
2.) Other racers will put a "bounty" on your car and every time you pass by turn 1 there will be another scratch, dent, or even a bullethole if the track is in New York.
3.) Any car that is "real" but comes with a 1/2 hour long diatribe detailing how the car came to be is labeled a "story" car and is avoided, along with it's owner, at all costs.
4.) Guys that own "just a replica", instead of hanging around sipping brewskies with you watching the action, are more apt to drag you behind the bathroom and beat the crap out of you during the noisy start of the Can AM race,
5.) If this forum can't be convinced of the cars claim to the value of a "Real Cobra" over a period spanning years, you are not going to do any better with an average of less than a minute to tell your story.
6.) There are so many cool cars at the vintage races that nobody is going too ask about your car in the first place, figuring you to be a "poser" at best, and in the worst case, cruising for guys with no visable door handles making escape no easy proposition.
7.) Your invitation to the party will have the times and/ or places mysteriously mis-typed, but the owners of "just replicas" will be quite popular as they have a lot in common with the race car builders, same type of people really.
8.) You will get a reputation as a total Goober, or "Hombre con smaldo peckardo", if Juan Gonzalez catches you.
9.) People will go out of their way to introduce you to everbody and say, "this is 'Goober', he has a real Cobra..." and then the guy you are meeting will say, "Wonderful, I have the Daytona coupe that Pedro Rodriguez won the Targa Florio in, which car do you have ? Hey where did he go ?"
10.) You will have wasted a lot of time , both on this forum and in your travels, that could have been spent making new friends and helping other people .
Turk, just admit it, the car is not a real AC !
Period ?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You got me confused with some else!!

No it is NOT a Real AC.
It is just a REAL car, and that is REALLY all I need, to feel REALLY good about about myself.This REAL or not argument is REALLY boring and everytime it starts it REELS in more REAL car lovers into a REAL senselesss discussion,

If we REALLY REALLY cared for each other's REAL feelings would we REALLY be this mean in what we post. Is this REALLY how we feel.

Get REAL!

You all have a really good Holidays. I mean it. REALLY!!

TURK
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Johan,
That was perfect.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Goober

Johan:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2003, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Johan. I needed that.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I about peed my pants--especially # 4.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

I loved #9 as well.
Closed Thread