Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2003, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold a SPF
Not Ranked     
Default 351 engine question - crate????

Is a crate 351 a good choice to go relative to reliability and emmision approval etc. Looking to cruise and not race..ok maybe a drag strip once a year.javascript:smilie('')

On a limited budget and trying to see if I can get into a new SPF...Also looking for a good 2003 SPF- used.

Thanks,

Rick

It's 4 am ...I think i have been bitten
Old 12-21-2003, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick,
I have plenty of experience with a 351 Crate engine. I bought one back in 99 for $3,750. I ran it very hard for 4 years putting about 4,000 track miles and 3,000 street miles before it exploded into a pile of shrapnell with nothing left but a flywheel and a balancer. I feel I got my moneys worth. Had I not run it up to 7.000 rpms on the track every summer it probably would still be runing today.
I know lots of guys will tell you about builder X who knows more about engines than the engineers at Ford but for what you get for what you pay the crate engines are hard to beat. Don't forget they're are thousands of Mustangs running on the street with occasional trips down the dragstrip, that have 50,000 miles or more on them. All with crate engines.

Good luck
Cranky

Last edited by RACER X #99; 12-21-2003 at 07:59 AM..
Old 12-21-2003, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF "street car" 418 stroker
Not Ranked     

A 351 crate is a great way to go, lots of options and different setups are available. However, you mention emissions and that is another issue you should address BEFORE you buy. Do your homework and thoughly research the state regs and find out what their requirements are.

Definately check out the used market. A late model SPF is a great way to go and usually available.

And yes, if it is 4am and you are still turning page after page on Club Cobra, you have been bitten!
Old 12-21-2003, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Is emissions a problem in Ohio? I didn't think it was, but times change! If it is, you're better off looking for a used SPF titled as a '65. It's winter time......buyers market.......and there are some good cars out there.
Actually, even if the car isn't titled as a '65, you should be able to get an "exemption" from the state by listing the car as a "show car", or such. Most states just want to make sure it's not your daily driver (except California and Illinois also want your 1st born child and your acct. number at your bank!) If I remember right, I would say Ohio is pretty "tame" with the emissions thing.
As far as the "crate" engine goes, they ARE good deals (IMO). You can get a lot of HP for the money. I think the 392 Ford stroker crate engine is one of the best buys out there. Check out the used SPF that Brian eluded to on your other post. That's a nice car at a good price.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Terry,

Calif. really doesn't want the 1st born as they would have to feed and care for them. Just your bank acct. number, title to all property owned or any you may acquire in the future, a promise to never ever try and register another special construction vehicle, and all the money you have to register the one you are doing.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-21-2003, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 351W Tremec 2004 Cobra SVT Convertible
Not Ranked     

I have been very satisfied with my crate engine. Keep in mind the accesories you will need to purchase to complete it. Pullys, carb, ignition, alternator, & brackets.
hog