14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Post SB100 Nightmare; but I'm 2004-162

With forms in hand, and having followed the advice of various online articles regarding SB-100, I arrived at the Los Gatos DMV at 7:30 AM this (freezing) morning to find a line that wrapped ¼ way around the building.

8:07, the doors opened, and I was given number B003.

By 8:30, I was at the counter. I explained to the (nice) lady that I would like to register my 1982 West Coast Cobra under SB100. I learned that this is pretty-much like walking up to a bank teller and stating "give me all your money."

IMMEDIATELY, a manager (Cindy?), heard this statement...and attacked. Literally CHARGED at me. She said “oh my god, not another one of these damn kit cars. These things are a damn nightmare. These guys think they know everything. They think they know more than we know. None of them even have a car that runs…all they are is a pile of parts. You can’t register a car that is a pile of parts. You have to build it first, then you have to babbidy blah blah blah blah blah.” I thought she would never stop talking.

She then snatched my pile of paperwork and literally tore through it. When she found my printed article from cobratrader.com, she literally shook it in my face and said “THIS IS NOT THE DMVs INSTRUCTIONS; THIS IS NOT HOW THE PROCESS WORKS. THESE PEOPLE HAVE NEVER WORKED FOR THE DMV FOR EVEN ONE DAY!!!” However, we find later that it actually is exactly how the process works…she’s got a major chip on her shoulder.

I then explained (extremely nicely) that I was sorry she hated me and my car, but that it was my understanding that I could pre-register the vehicle and that they would allocate my SB-100 number and allow me to come back with my CHP certification, Smog Referee paperwork, and so on at a later date.” She then BARKED in a loud voice, “I’m not spending 2 hours of my day on the phone with Sacramento trying to get a number for a car that doesn’t even run!!!…that’s just STUPID.” She actually shook her finger at me and threw my paperwork in front of the (nice) lady that was servicing that counter. It’s all I could do to refrain from laughing. It was insane. Then, she marched into the back room.

The (nice) lady at the counter was rolling her eyes and cringing through this entire rhetorical process of badgering the innocent kit car builder. A few seconds after the manager left, she said “Is she gone?” and looked at me. I nodded. She said, “well, from what I can see, your paperwork is in order”. However, there is a NEW form (Statement of Construction REG5036) that must be filled out. The old form (Miscellaneous Statement of Facts REG256) is no longer valid. She let me fill out this form at the counter.

It took her about an hour to go through the paperwork, mostly due to the fact that this kit was purchased from the estate of a deceased friend (Charlie Bruno), and has been sitting around (never registered) since 1982. Most of the problems she ran into was due to the age of the MSO, and the shoddy original bill-of-sale that was lunch for several moths over the years. However, she managed to get what she needed.

The DMV was EXTREMELY unhappy about my not having a receipt for the transmission that I paid cash for. I STRONGLY recommend you don’t attempt this without receipts for the Chassis, Body, Engine, and Trans. If you are missing a receipt, it sets of a major flag. I had to do some begging to have them even continue…and now they have put a conditional registration on my car that requires I generate some sort of receipt for the trans. Anyone have a crayon handy?

Once all the paperwork was in order, the (nice) lady looked at me and said “We need to stall another 10 minutes until the witch goes on break…then I’ll take this over to the assistant manager and get him to call Sacramento.” So, we chatted about stuff for 10 minutes...

10:00 came around, and she did exactly that. By 10:30, we were done. My SB-100 number is 2004-162. The fee paid was $1200. (It was $3800 before she pushed some magic buttons…I have no idea, I hope $1200 is reasonable…at that moment, I’d write a check for just about anything. LOL).

So, all I can say is “ready your peril sensitive glasses” and get your butt down there if you want a SB-100… There are apparently 338 left for the year as of 10:15 this morning 1/5/04. So...they issued 150+ the first day I guess. I'd hope the burn rate would slow down as time marches on, but 150 numbers gone in one day is a bad starting rate. I'd bet that the numbers will be gone well before June...probably by March.

I'm just happy "step 1" is over and steps 2,3 are reportedly easier.

Byron Reynolds
RACE Systems
San Jose, CA

Last edited by ByronRACE; 01-05-2004 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-05-2004, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Another nightmare at DMV

Well, with all paperwork in hand, along with CHP VIN assigned, I camped out in front of the local DMV office at 6:22 am 1/2/04 with chair, coffee and newspaper. Never mind that I had an appointment for 8:30 am, I wanted to be in the door first. At 6:40 another guy showed up. By 7:00 25 people were in line and 75 by 8:00 am for assorted business. When my number B001 was called I prayed for a gearhead or person of intelligence behind the counter. Not so. They had never even heard of SB100, sequence numbers or.... First they said to go to the Bureau of Automotive Repair for an exemption. Then they said to go to the smog referree. Finally I told them that this was their own program and that I wouldn't leave until I got my sequence number. Long story short, after 30 minutes the supervisor says he has no more time in the day to call a busy signal and gives me the number to call and get a sequence number assigned. After offering no phone to use, I stormed back home to call the Sacramento line. 30 minutes later the special processing unit says they don't assign to private individuals, only DMV field offices.....DUH! I told the moron supervisor that I would bet money I get turned away. Special processing got him on the phone and gave him the riot act and made him call as needed to get the number. 1 hour later at 10:20 am I am now 2004-38. Next stop, smog referree, then back to DMV to complete titling and get my specialty plates. As a footnote, the moron supervisor told me to just come straight to him for my next DMV visit since he jerked me around so much.

Another prisoner of civil service - DMV.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Does any one have the latest numbers, are we near 500 yet? The DMV site is not working.

ALlan
Old 01-05-2004, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     

Congratulations to both of you, the only other agonizing agency is the Post Office where the same morons seem to work at. (Sorry if there are CC members who work at the P.O.)

Can someone explain why Byron got 2004-162 today when at the end of the day last Friday 1/02/04 the number was above 300????? Allan what number did you get?

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 01-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

(Isn't it great to know that "there's life after Taco Bell".) the fleeting thought on the tip of your tongue that you REALLY want to say but know if you do, the end of the line will be your next vision at the DMV!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Yeah, I'd like to know the answer as well...

The "above 300" report is what prompted me to face frostbite this morning and battle the wicked witch of the north. I had an appointment for later on; but the 300 number scared me.

And according to DMV; I'm #162 of 500 as of 10:30 AM 1/5/04.

However, this is the DMV we're talking about. Maybe every operator was given a range or something. You know...5 operators 0-100, 100-200, 200-300, 300-400, 400-500. Who knows.

Byron
Old 01-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     
Default My guess...

I think that the "300" number is an unsubstantiated rumor. Reading the threads on the same topic over on ffrcobra.com, #162 for Byron is in the ball park.

My guess is that we are probably at about 200 to 210 by COB today. And at that rate, my guess is that the remaining 190-200 available numbers (assuming the rumor that 100 are being held in reserve is true) will be assigned by the end of this week.

YMMV,
Randy R...

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 01-05-2004 at 04:45 PM..
Old 01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
heavy hauler
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley stroked 342
Not Ranked     

when I did mine om 1-2-04 it was just as crazy at the dmv, nice clerk, ***** for a manager, she actually ran me out of the office but when I got home and started reading about how fast the # were going I went back, the nice clerk put me back at the front of the line, thankfully she was almost finished when the b---h came back from lunch, she told me the total was 1663.00, I asked her if there were any cents, she told me the dmv has no sense,, made my day, I also expected to pay more
Old 01-05-2004, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

As I said on another thread......1/2/04#140 @4:30 or 16:30 for the squids (used to be one)
curtis
Old 01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never thought I would say it, but after hearing these California horror stories, I think I'm grateful to be living in car-friendly NJ. Unbelievable.

Bruce

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 01-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Patience and perseverance – congratulations on 2004-162!

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/