Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: wannabe
Not Ranked     
Default Venom 427 by team-c Any FHE?

I am a long time ford guy and have a lot of seat time in fast fords and sports cars. I'm looking seriously at the backdraft and the venom, They seem to be very similar cars and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experiences or feedback regarding these cars, espec. the venom.
The appeal for me is that they are factory built, well equipped, have modern suspensions that are adjustable. They seem to be a good way to get started since I don't have the setup or expertise to build one. As clint once said" a man's got to know his limitations".
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kevin Doyle
Old 12-26-2003, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     

Kevin, You can do a search on the word backdraft and get lots of detail on the forum. I am really happy with my backdraft and have 4 pages of pics on my profile (thanks to Matt in Tulsa for most of them) I believe venom is a model of a earlier body style backdraft had (or so the story goes) but the backdraft is a great deal for the money. If you call John at Anthem motors in Phoenix he has some in stock he will sell at the old price (3000.00 less than new price) but you have to reserve it before 1 Jan with a 5K deposit. In my opinion backdraft is the best bang for your buck. Good luck and happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W
Not Ranked     

Kevin, the Backdraft and the Venom are very similar cars. I have just completed my Venom. I can't tell the difference between the two. Both offer the turnkey plus packages at an affordable price. All you add is the engine and transmission. I think both are optimized for the Ford small blocks. However, both have motor mount perches and pre-drilled holes for all size motor mounts. I found all Cobras have limited space in the engine compartment.

With all purchases like this, you want to consider price, quality, and customer service. I have found Team-C-Racing to meet all my expectations in this area. I suggest finding dealers for both the Backdraft and the Venom. Go visit them and look at the cars. Meet the people you will be dealing with after you purchase the package. Choose the one that you feel more comfortable with.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Purchased a Venom from Team-C- in July. Love the car. Have put 1000 miles on so far. Brain and Mike at Team-C are great guys to work with. Took it for a quick ride today here in Ct. Any questions feel free to email me. I would buy another. As stated before, for the price you can't beat it. Also, everything is new. Workmanship is excellent. You can spend 10-20 thousand more with big block etc, but for pure driving and not racing fun the 351w's run great and won't overheat or cook you in the car. And no worry about what type of used parts are in your car.

Joe G.
E-mail--- JOEPASSION@AOL

Thinking Of Stealing my Cobra
I Killed Once Before
The Second Time Will Be Easier
Old 12-27-2003, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Performance Cars (Durban, South Africa) 351W w/405hp (from Jasper Engines)
Not Ranked     

Kevin - I purchased a turnkey Venom 427 from Team-C-Racing back in March "03, and I can tell you that Backdraft's car is the exact same thing purchased from Performance Cars of Durban, South Africa (where Team-C's are fabricated). Every place you look from the BMW suspension & rear to the interior (w/VDO metric gauges), to the engine compartment w/all the stainless it says Performance Cars of Durban. Very decent vehicle, nice handling, fit and finish outstanding, but prep was not acceptable back then. Team-c is lucky they have Mike & Brian now, cause my vehicle was definitely not ready to drive. I see Joe G. purchased one from Team-C, find out from him who installed engine and trans ? I put my own in (351w from Jasper engines w/405 hp)
probably was best thing to do - this way you know what you're getting. If you run even the 351's hard you will need an oiler cooler (trust me). Cruising w/o seeing any 5-6k shifts your oil temp will stay between 180-200 deg. - horse it abit and you can bet on that oil temp. going up to 230-240 deg. Under hood temps are still quite high w/ the 351w. If you're going to do it go with Team-C, in my opinion it's the best bang for the buck, but get your own engine from Jasper, Roush, Southern or Ford.
Mine is dark indigo blue w/white stripes w/black leather interior.
Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: wannabe
Not Ranked     

Guys,
I really appreciate all of the feedback. As luck would have it, I got a chance to see and drive a venom (351w-T5 equipped) this past weekend. A local owner was kind enough to show me his car and spend an hour or so going over it.
I am going to try to arrange a visit to team-c this winter to check out the cars that they have in stock. I'm leaning towards silver,dark blue or wimbledon white and I think I've seen at least the first two in their pics.

Thanks again, Kevin
Old 12-29-2003, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

The Captial Area Cobra Club meets every Saturday (arrive at 0730-0800) at the Vienna Inn in none other than Vienna. I know one of the members has just purchased a BDR and he looked closely at the Venom. You may want to come out to the meeting and pick his brain. Plus, the group is a great source of help. Check out the site: CACC