26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2003, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 SPF w. Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default Which kit is best? Should I build?

Hi everyone...

I am interested in buying a cobra kit, but I am new to the game
so I need a bit of help. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of each of the kits out there? I know about FFR, B&B and Superformance. I am looking for quality.

Also, is it better value to buy a built car or build one yourself.

Thanks
P
Old 12-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Now is your shot. Pick up the phone, call David Kirkham, tell him you will take one of the ten and be happy in the knowledge that you just got a good deal on one of the best cars made.

DO IT TODAY

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-31-2003, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pgingl,
Much of the answer will depend on you. What is your budget, build capability,what do you plan to do with the car?
I am building a FFR and am very happy with it. I didn't have a lot of experience before building the kit but have learned a lot and enjoyed every minute of it....well there was the battery incident!
The Kirkham deal is truely a great deal if you have that kind of budget going in. and you will have a great car.
I would suggest doing a thorough search here and on some of the other forums. I can tell you that www.ffcobra.com was a big factor in me going with FFR. Those guys are great!
Each kit brings something different to the table. Find out which plate you want to eat from and you'll be happy
Good Luck!

Last edited by Mike Holt; 12-31-2003 at 07:14 AM..
Old 12-31-2003, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Pgingl,

Look at ALL of them, the more you see the more you will recognize what is important in each one to what YOU want. It is different for everyone.

The high end is mostly:

Shelby - has the Shelby name, and is available in an aluminum body - at a premium price.

Kirkham - very authentic, also in aluminum - IMHO a reasonable price.

ERA - one of the oldest manufacturers, great attention to detail, in glass.

Superformance - great quality, glass, turn-key only, through a dealer.

JBL, B&B, MidStates, Shell Valley, Backdraft, FFR also are fine choices. In fact, each are depending what you are looking for.

Building one will save you 5-10K, BUT you may have some trouble with insurance. More and more the insurance companies appear to be discouraging self built vs. turn-key replicas.

How close a manufacturer is to you worthy of consideration, as is how long they have been making them. Visit the manufacturer if you can. Drive one first as well - they are not for everyone. You either get out of it and say "I banged my knee on the dash and the pedals are in a funny place" or you start drooling.

Many states/counties also have mileage restrictions to stay under the emmisions radar. 5K miles/year in PA for example. Others, like CA and some GA counties can be downright onerous.

Many states require them to be titled as "Specially Constructed". Be cautious of title services that allow to register the vehicle as a 1966 model - some of these title services are in legal trouble and their owners may be forced at some point to retitle.

Enjoy the journey of selection - it is the third best part. The second best part is walking into the garage, turning the key, hearing that Ford V8 spark to life and howl through the gears. As Dave Radtke one said - "You will never get out of one without turning back to look at it."

The best part is the people you meet - each with the same insatiable passion for a 40 year old design that makes them feel something extraordinary.

Just make sure it's a small block.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by rdorman

Now is your shot. Pick up the phone, call David Kirkham, tell him you will take one of the ten and be happy in the knowledge that you just got a good deal on one of the best cars made.

DO IT TODAY

Rick
Darn Tootin! DO IT NOW.
Never will you get a chance like this.

--Mike

Old 12-31-2003, 08:35 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Fiberglass or aluminum? Each has its advantages and disadvantages. This has been covered in previous threads and is available for your researching pleasure.

If you really want a Cobra and can afford to take advantage of a great deal on the top-of-the-line aluminum car, do what Rick and Mike said: Send David Kirkham a deposit. My guess, from reading other posts, is that you could take a bit more time to decide on a body style and options, including having the K's build the car for you. If you're serious, this is a great opportunity. You might also look at the Kirkham Cobra on Ebay for an idea of what your $39,900 will buy.

Better value? There's bound to be someone out there who attaches less value to his car than the rest of the marketplace. If cost is more important to you than being to spec exactly what you want (and that's fine), you may find a car that will make you very, very happy at a very reasonable price.

If it's more important to you to build the car exactly the way you want, and want a recognized, top quality car, Jim pretty well covered it. I'll just add that Shelby buys at least some of their major aluminum car parts from Kirkham, so a Shelby is, for all intents and purposes, apparently a Kirkham renamed as a Shelby.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default A&C

I'm surprised no one ever mentions the A&C Kit (Antique & Collectibles). I have one and so does MJ_duell, as well as many other members.

I found it to be a reasonably priced kit that is not a very complicated build for the do it youselfer. Some kits require a donor car and there may be much work needed to be done as far as body cutting, sanding of mold marks & seams, and welding. The A&C requires very minimal body cutting and their gel coat finish is of impressive quality. These factors can decrease the amount of time it takes to get one completed and on the road.

I completed my build over this past Summer and I am very happy with it.

Of course, as was said many times on this post, it all depends what your looking for and how much you want to spend.

Personal preferences and tastes always are the determining factors.

Tony
Old 12-31-2003, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC....1991....302 CU with a 4 spd AOD trans....Turns 1600 RPM at 72 MPH.
Not Ranked     
Default Which Kit To Buy

Jim is correct...keep to a small block.
I've known guys with 427's/428's who are getting about 9 miles to the gallon........
I noticed that nobody mentioned 'Unique Motorcars' out of Gadsden Alabama.
One real nice deluxe pallet kit for about $15 to $16K less than the Kirk Mobile.
Give their web site a try...Uniquemotors.com
Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     
Default Re: A&C

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyMadrid

I'm surprised no one ever mentions the A&C Kit (Antique & Collectibles). I have one and so does MJ_duell, as well as many other members.

I found it to be a reasonably priced kit that is not a very complicated build for the do it youselfer. Some kits require a donor car and there may be much work needed to be done as far as body cutting, sanding of mold marks & seams, and welding. The A&C requires very minimal body cutting and their gel coat finish is of impressive quality. These factors can decrease the amount of time it takes to get one completed and on the road.

Tony
True Tony,
I love my A&C as well. I just wish they had aluminium skins. Don't get me wrong, I believe they have the absolute best fiberglass / gelcoat body in the business. The body is very true to the original as well. I've been watching your build and reading your posts. You are way ahead of me. I can't wait to get this beast done. Anyway, for those shopping around, take a good look at Antique & Collectibles Autos http://www.acautos.com/

--Mike

Old 12-31-2003, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey pgingl
Since you live in Toronto, Canada you would be better off to buy a used replicar FPSB in Canada. If you look around a few come up for sale.

Transport Canada prohibits importation of Kit Cars (complete or rollers) into Canada. Canadians can import car parts only.

There is a Superformance dealer in Concord. I don't know how they get around Transport Canada's rules and regulation.
Bob Wheation in Welland sells Factory Five. There was a Shell Valley dealer in Stratford; however some one posted here that it does not exit anymore ( possibly Transport Canada closed it down). Canam motorsports sells a replicar and they're located Surrey, B.C. and Pigeon is located in Quebec.

For Kirkham, we would need to have the car disassembled, box up the parts, pay taxes (GST, PST and brokage fees), and then have a professional or yourself reassemble the car.

Last edited by Ken Oikawa; 12-31-2003 at 03:40 PM..
Old 12-31-2003, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Get the Kirkham,You will not find a better dealer or car.Remember,if you get the best you will never be dissapointed. chuck
Old 12-31-2003, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Check out the previously owned cars on this site and at www.cobracountry.com and save a few bucks. Most of the used cars out there look and run like new. Consider a Windsor!

Bob
Old 12-31-2003, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

If you've the money in hand I agree! Call Kirkham now!!!! If not the posts above are a good start. I love my ERA, Great car & the build has been a lot of fun so far. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2003, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob In Ct

Check out the previously owned cars on this site and at www.cobracountry.com and save a few bucks. Most of the used cars out there look and run like new. Consider a Windsor!

Bob

Bob is correct in this.... Save a lot of money and get a car that's sorted out and low mileage.. So many great cars for sale and now is the time to buy one....