Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     
Default Any 289FIA owners out there?

As I get closer to actually purchasing a Cobra, I want to make sure I get what I want. So, with that in mind, I'd really like to chat with some 289FIA owners about their cars, be it ERA, Unique, or Shelby.

And, if by any chance some of you 289FIA owners are in the SF Bay Area (or Northern CA), I'd love to check out your car.

I was planning a BB 427 S/C, but am beginning to question (again) if that is the direction I want to go. What I'd really like to do is compare a 427 S/C and a 289FIA side-by-side...

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
Doug
Old 01-06-2004, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Doug...I have a Unique 289FIA. You can see it in my gallery. I love it. Two reasons, there are only 3 fia cars in Arizona which means I don't look like everyone else and I love the race history the FIA cars have.

If your looking for a great car look at Jeff Karnitz car that is for sale. You can't build that car for what he is asking...RR

Last edited by Randy Resetar; 01-06-2004 at 09:36 AM..
Old 01-06-2004, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I second Randy's comments on Jeff's car. Unless you are dead-set on the build experience, Jeff's Unique is beautiful, fast, and detailed to the "nth" degree--
Old 01-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Have to agree with both guys, Doug. Jeff Karnitz's car is brand new. You would have a hard time building this car for what Jeff is asking. As a matter of fact, I would bet it would take $5-$8K over and above what he has in it.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Dave,

We have both a CSX 4000 and 7000 FIA, the FIA will not be in Norcal until late next month. You are welcome to see both.

Allan
Old 01-06-2004, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

http://erareplicas.com/differ/index.htm

Try this site to get a nose to nose comparison on body style...

and you'll find out that there is no doubt as to which one to buy

Randy,
Went to your pictures.... What a beautiful car.... Absolutely beautiful.....

Last edited by casaleenie; 01-06-2004 at 09:40 AM..
Old 01-06-2004, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

I've seen several, and I have to agree that the Unique FIA is a very nice car. Don't know Jeff's car, but unless you're dead-set on building, I think finding a well-built used one is the way to go. I bought an impeccable 98 Unique 427, for much less than I could have built it, not even counting my time. Even though I'm the 3rd owner, the product support I receive from the Weavers is nothing short of extraordinary.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

Clay is correct on the thoughts of a used car.... Used is probably the wrong term to use... Most of these cars were built with the idea that they would never be sold.. More often than not they are perfect builds.... Lots of talent out there....
I'm fortunate enough to own a 289 Unique but if I was still in the market, Jeffs car would be one to look at....
I'm the second owner of my car but the Weavers treat me like family... I'd do the Unique thing again in a heartbeat... I'd say that all the manufacturers who make the 289's all do a great job...
Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them...

At the DVSF last year, I'd bet that there weren't ten 289 cars out of the almost 300 cars at the event...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

The smart guy is the one who buys used. There is no refuting that point.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Dking,

I'm not in NoCal but I do have some pics of my ERA FIA build in my gallery. I try to update it often as I progress. Good luck on your decision it can be gruelling
Old 01-06-2004, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

DKing:

I also have an ERA 289FIA. Pictures are in my gallery also. I agree with the others.

Also the reference mentioned above to ERA's website comparing the difference is a great place to look.

I actually prefer the lines of the 289 and find it to be a great car to drive on tight twisty long roads.

Any help I can give you, let me know. Otherwise, good luck in your search. I think you will be happy with any of the makes you mentioned.

jim
Old 01-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

I am a big 289 fan. I like the body style better than the 427 and it is appropriate for the SB Ford. Maybe one day soon I will make that change from TBA to ERA XXXX. Until then...

He hasn't piped in, but Greg Kulp has an ERA 289 beauty. Check out his gallery. If I'm not mistaken it was a self build.

Good luck in your search. When you have had that side-by-side comparison and test drive let us know what you thought. I''ll be waiting for your .02

-John
Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     

Took a look at Jeff's car. Very nicely done. Not sure that I'm in to red, though. Prefer black or viking blue.

I'll take up a few discussions over private messaging so I can ask a few (sensitive) questions. CC threads can get a little dramatic sometimes...

I like the idea of building a car from a pallet kit, but not stuck on the idea. If I found a good, used 289FIA at the right price and right time, I'd go for it.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John (Fox),

Gee thanks for the compliment! It really is appreciated.

Doug,

Unfortunately I am on the right coast, but...

I'd certainly be willing to talk with you about my experiences with ERA, the build process, and the reasons I like the ERA FIA car over all other FIA cars (there are some subtle and not so subtle differences.) You can PM me and I'll get you my phone numbers if you like.

I too started out with the idea of a 427 BB car, but the more I learned and saw the more I wanted the FIA small block car. IMHO they are simply more athletic looking and performing.

Have fun.

America. Home of the free, because of the brave.

Last edited by Greg Kulp; 01-06-2004 at 02:46 PM..
Old 01-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 289 FIA

DKing -

I also have an ERA FIA car. Mine has a "big" small-block - a 351C with Webers. There are lots of pictures in my gallery.

I have always been a "small-block" guy, and always liked the more svelte lines of the 289 FIA versus the testosterone look of the brutal 427. My ERA gives me everything I wanted - a cut-back door body in glass, full independant coil-over suspension on all four corners, first-class quality, and outstanding customer service. The car and the company are both tops in my book.

Good luck in your search. If you send me an e-mail to:
cobrajeffATcomcastDOTnet, I can send you pictures of just about any part of it you'd like to see.

regards,

Jeff
Old 01-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Doug - Don't overlook the Kirkham hybrid, an FIA style body on their 427 frame. It's the best of both worlds for the look of the FIA body with the advantages of the 427 frame. If they're still selling them for under 40K, it's a no brainer.

Bumpster
Old 01-06-2004, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug and Bumpster,

I agree the Kirkham Hybrids are tremendous cars. But, there are some differences between their Hybrid body and a true FIA body style. The Hybrid cars lack the cutback doors, which is one really significant feature that visually sets a small block FIA car apart from the BB cars, and there are some other differences (shape of the flares, fuel filler location.) There is more to a small block body than the shape of the nose opening. Again, not in any way puttting down the Kirkham Hybrid car, but if you are asking for differences... I haven't asked the Kirkham's yet, but I am wondering if they would build a car with one of their true small block FIA bodies on a coil sprung chassis. That would be way cool.

America. Home of the free, because of the brave.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

DKing:
I bought my Unique 289FIA from it's original owner last summer, and I couldn't be happier. I second what all the other's say about the Weaver's and the whole Unique organization. They have provided me with outstanding customer service, even though I bought the car second-hand. I also consider it a "hybrid" since Unique uses the coil-spring suspension, too.

I saved quite a bit of $$$ buying it "used" with 2700 miles on it, and I've doubled it's mileage in 6 months without incident (except for lots of smiles and thumbs-ups). Runs, rides, and drives like a champ, and is just a bit different than all the other Cobras here in town (40+ 427's in K.C., but only 4 289's).

Beware though. The general public only knows about the 427 Cobra, so everybody will ask you if "it's got a big-block in it"....

Besides, the 289FIA was the car that REALLY kicked Ferrari's ass!!! *****Can of Worms Officially Opened****

Russ

Last edited by Russ Dickey; 01-06-2004 at 05:47 PM..
Old 01-06-2004, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289, KMPS007
Not Ranked     
Default 289 FIA

Doug,

Suggest you come out to BACC any Saturday morning for breakfast. We generally have 2 dozen cars show up and Gary usually has his 289 Unique and Larry drives his 289 ERA with Webers. I have a Kirkham 289 that's not on the road yet. Plenty of people to talk to and get the pros and cons, if there are any.

Look in the "Local Clubs" section and click on Bay Area Cobra Club. I haven't looked in ages, but I'm sure there are directions posted......Athens Resturant in Dublin. 7:00 AM or whatever!

Regards
Bert Brown
Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Russ,

You can't be charged with opening a "can of worms" when you're just telling the truth....
Man I hope I'm on the Unique Forum and not Club Cobra with this posting....