9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

WHAT WAS THE QUESTION?????? HUH? WHAT????

deef SB owner.

I had another set made up for my 289FIA without baffles, haven't run them yet, but it'll probably be louder than Cranky's due to the full length and narrow pipe!

Last edited by John McMahon; 01-08-2004 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-08-2004, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wanted open pipes for track purposes and like others have the slip fit type at the headers so I bought unbaffled headers (extra pair) but have yet to fit and weld the hangers on. In the mean time it makes for great Cobra garage art.

BTW, I too also looked modifying my existing set and couldn't come up with a cost effective solution. My extra set was @ $550 ordered without baffling.

Since I haven't run them yet can anyone attest to the increase in pitch or higher sound with open pipes?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

I've built 4 sets of pipes and a second set of headers with components from Speedway Motors. Straight-thru mufflers were sourced elseware. Sidepipes w/mufflers cost around $200/pr.

IMO the best sounding open pipes are a collector with short turnout. Much deeper sound than the full length open pipe. They allow you to feel the concussion in your chest and legs when standing next to the car. They made the most power too.
Scott
Old 01-08-2004, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- smallblock grenade w/ the pin pulled
Not Ranked     

+20 hp from 3.5" muffled pipes to 3.5'" straight thru. Now who couldn't use 20 more horseys.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

JM,
You forgot the HP factor, you'll need another 100 hp to make as much noise as the Turd.

Cranky

BTW, Making your own open sidepipes.

The least expensive way to go open pipes is to cut your existing muffler off just at the end of the collector. Buy 3 sets of 3 1/2" weld on flanges from Hooker. These are a perfect fit for most Cobra sidepipes.
Weld 3 1/2" collector flanges to muffler and collector.
Now you go to the electrical supply house and buy a 3 1/2" EMT 90 degree sweep. Also a perfect fit. You use a power band saw and cut this 90 into two short dumps and weld on the 3 1/2 " flanges. Makes a perfect short dump with a turnout.
GUARANTEED TO BLOW OUT YOUR EARDRUMS

Here is a shot of mine.

Last edited by RACER X #99; 01-08-2004 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I have two sets of sidepipes, one muffled and one open. I run open pipes on my 351W powered car at track events that allow them. They are so loud that I wear hearing protection taking the car to and from the trailer. On the track, with a helmet on, the open pipes don't seem any louder than the muffled pipes without a helmet. ... During the last track day for our Cobra Club, we ran at Gainesville, a track where the most distant part of the track is separated from the pit area by a forest. When I came back after one session, several people stopped by to tell me they loved the sound of my engine echoing back from the far side of the forest. Apparently, my engine was noticeably louder than most.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 01-08-2004 at 02:45 PM..