Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Hemi-Snake (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/49467-hemi-snake.html)

orionlearn 01-20-2004 06:30 AM

Hemi-Snake

I am seriously looking at building a 5.7 hemi engine for my FFR Cobra. I am wondering if anyone is thinking about the idea, building one and what are the barriers you are discovering.

On the surface, the hemi width and length with e five-speed auto would seem to work.

Interested in input!

Regards,

Bob

rdorman 01-20-2004 06:34 AM

Blasphemy:D
Rick

orionlearn 01-20-2004 06:58 AM

"On The 7th Day God created the Hemi?"

Rick, I was deemed a heathen when I painted the Cobra orange and named him Ozzy! On the other hand, I have not added low-rider airbags, ground lights or strobes!

B
:JEKYLHYDE :LOL:

Tongue Pirate 01-20-2004 07:02 AM

Wouldn't the hemi be worth more than the car?

I say you buy a shelby & ask them to install.:LOL:

PSB 01-20-2004 07:15 AM

When I read some coverage of the last SEMA show and saw that Mopar is selling the fuel-injected 5.7 Hemi as a crate motor, I wish they would have offered that a few years ago, before I started my build. I'd do if i were starting now!

Do you know how much they're selling it for? I did a google search, but couldn't find anyone selling them yet.

Pete

rdorman 01-20-2004 07:23 AM

Re: "On The 7th Day God created the Hemi?"

Quote:

Originally posted by orionlearn

Rick, I was deemed a heathen when I painted the Cobra orange and named him Ozzy! On the other hand, I have not added low-rider airbags, ground lights or strobes!

B
:JEKYLHYDE :LOL:

Ozzy works for me:D

If my daughter had her way, air-bags, strobes and lights would already be on my car. Cool thing about building these cars. Build it the way you want it.

Rick

CobraDan 01-20-2004 07:26 AM

Go With Chevy

ZZ572/620 GM’S LARGEST MOST POWERFUL STREET ENGINE

The new ZZ572/620 is built around an all-new Gen VI tall deck Bow Tie cylinder block. This all new race block is filled with a forged 4340 steel crank with 4.375 inch stroke, shot peened forged 4340 H-beam rods, and forged aluminum pistons with full floating wrist pins. Hard core race parts for hard core long term durability!

The redesigned rectangular port aluminum cylinder heads result in a pump gas friendly 9.6 to 1 compression ratio. A hydraulic roller cam with 0.632 inch lift actuates the stainless steel valves. And, of course, hardened chromemoly retainers, roller rocker arms, and dual valve springs are used to complete the valvetrain.

A new GM tall deck single plane intake manifold and 850 CFM Demon carburetor deliver enough air and fuel to make the 620 horsepower at 5500 RPM and 650 ft.lbs. of torque at 4500 RPM. Ignition is handled by a GM HEI distributor.

Pump gas friendly, massive torque and horsepower, all from GM, the ZZ572/620 is for those who consider excess to be barely enough.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...Z572_large.jpg

orionlearn 01-20-2004 08:03 AM

5.7 Crates

Street & Performance has the 5.7 Hemi. They also have a couple of build projects with the 5.7. Check out their web at http://www.hotrodlane.cc/indexhome.html.

The other option to buy the Hemi is from your local junkyard. It seems that a lot of RAM 1500's are being wrecked...I wonder why?

Also, the rumor is that Dodge will compete the engine next year in NASCAR. Lot's of stuff becoming available.

With a paddle shifting 5-speed auto Tremec, ported heads, Weiand intake and a 750 cfm double pumper, the virtual dyno says 650 Hp. I think that sub 4:1 weight to Hp, the paddle auto combination is a must.

I am looking at a high rpm build at >7000. All of the 5.7 specs point to that number as very doable.

All said, I am still not sure, but if one comes along from the local junkyard search or e-Bay, I maybe tempted. A little too rich for my pocketbook as a crate.:CRY:

B
:3DSMILE:

Cal Metal 01-20-2004 08:28 AM

Remember the resale issue with non Ford powerplants in Cobras. Chances are you won't own this car forever. The Hemi does sound interesting, I will have to admit.

PSB 01-20-2004 08:34 AM

orionlearn,

So what does a 5.7 Hemi crate motor cost? I couldn't find any prices for it on the Street&Performance page.

Pete

clayfoushee 01-20-2004 08:37 AM

I know Onion (another CACC guy) and Ozzy, and you have to meet them to understand. Ozzy has always been purposely "different." But, Ozzy is a great car and Onion is a great guy! As a "period-correct guy," I'd love to see that Hemi in Ozzy.

Speaking of the importance of authenticity, it all depends upon the perceiver/judger. Ozzy and my car were entered in a fairly big car show last Sept., with a number of Cobras. Mine is virtually all "period-correct." Ozzy won the Kit Car Class, and I finished 2nd.

orionlearn 01-20-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PSB

orionlearn,

So what does a 5.7 Hemi crate motor cost? I couldn't find any prices for it on the Street&Performance page.

Pete

Pete, The engine without computer, pumps or alternator is $6500 for auto or $6700 for manaul. I had a line on a wrecked RAM 1500 that sold for $7500 complete vehicle. So, my decision to build will be based on getting the motor and trans for $5k or less.

Regards,

B

PSB 01-20-2004 08:59 AM

That is a bit steep! OK, I'm back to being happy with my 408W ;)

Pete

Unique580hp 01-20-2004 10:03 AM

Tremec makes an automatic 5 speed??

orionlearn 01-20-2004 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Unique580hp

Tremec makes an automatic 5 speed??
I am only going by what I have read in a couple of places that the Hemi auto is made by Tremec. No other facts then that!

Anybody else know for sure?

B
:)

flipper35 01-20-2004 12:28 PM

Other than the headers and motor mounts it sounds like a nice 'different' setup to me. But if you got the whole truck,why not use the complete fuel system? If you are talking about the new automatic, it has two separate gear ratio's for 2nd gear. One is used while upshifting and the other is used when downshifitng to pass.

You may want to measure the tranny first too. My a833 is long for a manual and makes a very short drive shaft.

CobraDan 01-20-2004 03:27 PM

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

408cobra 01-20-2004 08:05 PM

hemi

Just read an article in Popular Hot Rodding on the 5.7 hemi. Nice motor. They got pretty impressive flow numbers with a little work on the heads. Only problem is parts (Cranks rods pistons) are not out for it yet. It said in the article it probably wont tolerate overbores. Plus you will need to fabricate headers/tranny fitment and god only knows if it will fit between the fenders. I dont know how the plastic intake will look in a Cobra. It you got the stones go for it.

Cobra75 01-20-2004 10:09 PM

Ok Bob,
We know you're not happy with Ozzy's HP numbers, but that's no reason to be putting a Mopar in a Cobra. ..."Mopbra"? We may just have to ban you from the CACC and refund your membership dues. Please don't make us do that.

I suppose this one will be RH drive too?:JEKYLHYDE

http://www.kitcarmag.com/kitcar/even...ingweb15_s.jpg

Excaliber 01-20-2004 10:27 PM

Better Hemi than Bow Tie anyday!

Ernie