23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Anxiously awaiting my A&C w/ modified 351W
Not Ranked     
Default A&C door mounting issue(s). Any resolution?

I saw another thread on this topic (still up on the board) but I from reading it, I can't really tell if there's been a succinct resolution (By the manufacturer).

Does anybody know - Has A&C (Antique & Collectible) fixed their door mounting issues? Both of the A&C cars I have personally seen up close (I've seen other A&Cs, but not with the doors on them), have a passenger side door that doesn't fit/line up.

I like their Kit - but it's a little disconcerting spending a decent amount of money on a kit with this kind of issue. It really stands out; it was obvious to me in the first 30 seconds of viewing the car(s).

I was actually told by one builder "there's nothing you can do about it." "I doesn't fit and will not fit correctly, plain and simple."

Others on the forum, have said they have had to modify things a little and then they can "make it work" but I would think this kind of basic issue would be addressed by the manufacturer
(I understand about tolerances and having to adjust things possibly a number of times within reason to make them fit - but it sounds like there may be a fundamental issue that in some cases has prevented some people from EVER making it fit, no matter what their efforts are.

Any recent experiences out there? Looking for an update.

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2004, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default A&C Doors

I built my A&C last Summer and had no major problems getting the doors to line up. I will admit that to get a really good fit I used spacers/shims behind the door hinge where it mounts to the cowl bar.

I have heard that A&C has two versions of their kit, an older one that is no longer in production and the newer one. I don't know the exact differences. I do know that they improved the hood scoop and went to a larger one, i believe to accommodate the oval air filters.

Maybe some of the other A&C owners out there can chime in with their experiences.

Tony
Old 01-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Kanobe: I have one of the older ones. Got mine in Jan '01. I had a difficult time with the passenger door. Walked away a couple of times. They have made the door fit better on top where it meets the cowl area of the body. Mine has a drop of about 1/4". The door fits fine around the opening though. I had a gel coat body. Some people with painters actually cut the back of the door and bend the glass to fit better and reglass the back. With a gel body I was afraid of the Gel coat cracking.
The newer bodies do fit better from ones I have seen locally. The larger hood scoop is for more clearance with the bigger motors like the 460. I have the shorter scoop and I like the size.
There are always problems with every build from what people say about all the different kit mfg's. I have no regrets going with A & C. The bodies I believe are far better than others. The really lay the glass on thick. As a matter of fact, I had to go and get different fasteners because in some cases the glass was so thick the ones provided in the kit were too short.
Getting back to the cowl bar, some guys said they cut it and made it narrower, becuse it simply does not have enough space to move it about centerline of the body. Others even had the door in place and welded the brackets instead of bolting.

Maybe we should have our own thread on this site. What do you think Brent?

Comon' other A & C owners, lets get Brent to give us our own area.

Good luck with the build and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Jim
Old 01-23-2004, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Well I can definitely shead some light on this. I just finished the Antique & Collectible doors last week. The driver door went on and lined up perfect in about ten minutes. The passenger door took two days. I had purchased the "paint" body so modifications to the glass were not a problem. I had to shave the bottom of the door toward the back as well as the striker plate area a little. The general up and down and side to side alignment took several tries to get right after that. The hinge plates were shimmed on the passenger side as well. Slight adjustments with a file had to be made to both doors to allow them to open fully without touching the front fenders. The doors now fit and work perfectly! It is completely flush at the top and down the side as well. If you have the "high luster gel coat" body you will be screwed, unless you make the mods and then take the door to a boat shop to fix the gelcoat. The old bodies seem to be harder to align and don't seem to be as strait as the new ones. The other problem is that fiberglass dosn't always cure the same way. I will have door pictures in my gallery in the next few days. Let me know if I can help.

--Mike

Quote:
The bodies I believe are far better than others. The really lay the glass on thick. As a matter of fact, I had to go and get different fasteners because in some cases the glass was so thick the ones provided in the kit were too short.
--Absolutely, and the quality of the gelcoat is excellent!

Last edited by mj_duell; 01-23-2004 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-23-2004, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 460
Not Ranked     

Had same problem as mj. the solution in my case was very simple, after 3 days of scratching my head. The hinges were made for a door the same thickness as the drivers door, however the passenger door on mine was almost 1/2" thicker. Made the adjustment to the hinge (cut and rewelded) hung door in ten minutes! My kit is older and the top of door at dash was also low.
Gman
Old 01-23-2004, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default A&C Area

Hey PNJSNAK,

I agree, let's get all the A&C guys together in here.

Tony
Old 01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Hi Tony!,
I agree. We need our own place. You never here much about A&C yet there are a good amout of cars out there.

--Mike
Old 01-23-2004, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up A & C area

Here is another vote for an A & C area! I have an A & C I just started in November, I constantly check here for threads. It would be great for us owners to share info and tips!

Hi Tony!

Jerry W
Old 01-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay!! We need a volunteer to contact Brent and ask for a show of hands (Poll) or just what it takes to see if he will provide us a board.
Jim
Old 01-23-2004, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 351 windsor bored and stroked tko tremec
Not Ranked     
Default A&C

hey guys i agree we need more A&C guys also my doors seemed to go on just fine i picked my body up in august and i think the car body is awesome the fiberglass is wicked thick and very rigid. if i can be of any help please contact me thanks Neil
Old 01-24-2004, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Well I did my doors in a full day. The passenger door gave me the most headache but it fits fine with one small problem. It would hit the quarter panel when fully opened. I simply put a little stop to prevent the door from opening that last inch and it's fine. Let me add that I got the body in 99.

I asked Brent awhile ago about an A&C forum and he responded that he would need permission from A&C to do it. I emailed Sonny and Joe but never got a response. I'd be glad to monitor it if we ever get it up.

Roscoe
Old 01-24-2004, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     

My body is one of the earliest of the new ones. I took mine to a body shop to hang the doors, as my monkeying with them was going nowhere fast. They had no issues, but did cut and re-weld the hinge plates to make the doors hang and operate flawlessly. I paid them 1.5 hours labor and couldn't be happier with the results. This was the only area I threw in the towel and got help with.

I don't see it as a kit flaw, as mass produced cars are shimmed to align body panels -every last one of them.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys: I just emailed Joe T. at A & C to see if he is willing to do what is necessary for Brent M. to create us a Forum.
Jim