Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2003, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1498, 351 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default 2004 Ford GT

Anyone out there seen one of these in person? Or have one on order.

I have seen a bit on the internet on these cars and they appear to be something special. The price is something I cannot get a handle on. Sometime I hear $100K sometimes $150K
Old 09-27-2003, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have seen one and they are gorgeous. A number of people I know are trying to order them. The latest plan as I understand it is that they will be allocated to the dealers in the US who win the Chairmans Award with some sort of lottery for the remaining ones. The price is projected at around the level of a 360.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default GT $

The first one sold by Ford at the Montery event. It was auctioned. I heard over 500k. I can't imagine a dealer that gets one not cashing in on it.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

an early september 2003 article in Automotive News magazine said Ford will build approx 1500 cars per year and has 3800 dealers. it said not all dealers will get one during the build of the car. top rated dealers who win the Presidents Award in 2004 will get ONE GT to sell. typically the article said, about 10% (or 380) delers win this award. the rest will be distributed among high volume dealers and to winners of a lottery. specifics of the dealer allocation plan will be given to the dealers after jan 1, 2004.

they further said that some dealers will receive more than one GT and fewer than 1000 may not get a GT at all !

in other publications i saw total volume numbers to be prox 4500 or so during total build expecting to go thru or into 2006, but dont know if that is guessing or fact on part of the writers.

the half million dollar plus car that sold at monterey was a charity car, dubbed the first production car for the public that ford will sell (car number 11 as i recall..the other 1-10 serials destined for ford's usage/sale/ or whatever..expect to see some ford family members get one i would suspect) . the amount paid for the auction car over the value of the car would become a tax write off i am sure and price estimates in other publications suggest a price somewhere between $135K-$150k. to my knowledge ford has not yet announced their final msrp price. however, with so few dealers getting so few cars you can count on significant dealer mark up, at least early on ...and expect hoarding by some dealers, ie, their car will go into their own hands not to be sold...nothing new there, happens all the time with a hot product where initial demand outpaces supply. over time the dew is off the lily and the car becomes more available and price falls to msrp, or lower...as was the case of the new thunderbird as it was first available/introduced to what it is today. with a 1500 per yr build for only 3 model years this car may never get cold, just not as hot perhaps over time vs intro time, but not cold.

with the lottery and with the presidents award many small volume small town rural dealers will get an allocation for a car that otherwise they would not get. now, try to find one and nab those cars that will not have a market in the middle of no-where, usa , before they 'sell' or 'auction' off their quota if not kept by the dealer or sold locally ! good luck.

you can rest assured that eBay, Autoweek and Automotive News will have their share of early profit makers, be it the dealers getting the extra mark up or an early lucky customer turning his new car for a buck....dealers allocations may even be offered for bid,ie, over msrp as it was with the thunderbird and some select mustang models in last couple of years. it will be interesting to follow the evolution of price and availability during the full cycle production build into 06 or whenever they shut it down !

the car in the flesh is great, i have seen the first 3 built for the 100th anniversary several times and stare in wonderment each time i see one ...early reports by auto analysts that have driven the car are overwhelmed with it... a friend of mine rode in one at the ford test track , driven by one of their hand picked test drivers and he said 'outfrickingstanding' car, and he is an experienced high performance car owner. it will be a nice car to have for the fortunate few that can get their hands on one ! bill

Last edited by Bill Wells; 09-27-2003 at 02:30 PM..
Old 09-27-2003, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

As a lifelong Ford fan, and a fan of the original GT 40, it is exciting to see this reincarnation of one of the most exciting cars I believe has ever been produced.

It would be much more exciting, however, to see Ford develop and market such a car priced somewhere more in the vicinity of the competitions offerings, namely the Corvette (still an incredible value) and the Dodge Viper (expensive, but still under $100K). While creating a firestorm of publicity in the automotive press, this car, while it may fill a void in a few affluent enthusiasts collections, will most likely do nothing to help reverse Ford's declining fortunes.

As a long time shareholder, I am disappointed in Ford Motor Company's inability up to now to field a world class sports car, passenger car or a true hybrid that will compete with Toyota, Nissan and eventually, GM. To survive over the long term, Ford will need to deliver, and a limited production $150,000 exotic, while neat eye candy, is not going to cut it.

My .02 cents worth.

Bud
Old 09-28-2003, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     

Bud Man,

I feel the '05 Mustang fills the bill for an attractive affordable for-the-masses type sports car and I bet Carroll Shelby's renewed partnership with Ford will spawn a modern Shelby GT350 or GT500 that most of us would consider owning.

The Ford GT is an image car built to celebrate Ford's 100 Anniversary and Racing History. I went to two dealers to see if I could be put on a waiting list. They both told me to go to hell. They said the dealership owner was keeping it for himself. I was fortunate enough to at least see the car up close in Monterey, even sat in one. The build quality was up there with the best of Italy and the retro look of the styling both exterior and interior is smashing. All this with A/C and power windows. It makes the Corvette and Dodge Viper look cheap, really cheap. I also took a good look at the rear bumper where the exhaust exits through. The Ford engineers have made it easy for removal of the bumper so that the clean lines of the body can be fully appreciated. If I can get one I would definitely remove it. Comparing the cars in the same price range, like the Ferrari 360, Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston Martin DB9, Bently Continental, and CSX4XXX the Ford Gt is a welcome addition to the group. I for one commend Ford for having the guts to build the Ford GT in such a short time from the prototype, and I look forward to seeing it on the road soon. And who knows, there may be a Shelby edition in the future which may be even more expensive and exclusive.

Shin

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 09-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have seen the new Ford GT and the pictures do not due it justice, also got to see the 05 Mustang all on the same day. Did speak to a Ford dealer today and he claims that he has been alloted 7 GT's over the next 3-5 year period. This dealer is also the #1 pickup (Ford) dealer in the country. Also thru his other dealerships he is the the #1 Viper dealer in the country not bad for a guy in Nebraska. Just have to wait and see what happens alot of dealers will come and go over that time period.

Jim
Old 09-29-2003, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jackie Steward drove one around Indianapolis Motor Speedway prior to the start of the F1 Grand Prix. Nice car, but I could have a Cobra replica and a Noble for the same price.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Chief Design Engineer

At Monterey / Concorso Italiano they had the first White/Blue car there with the Team Leader / Chief Design Engineer present.

The Design Engineer (seemed to be a young guy, late 20s/early 30s) had a chance to speak to the crowd with the car up on the show podium. It was preceeded and followed by some very exotic Lambos. It was interesting to hear this guy talk about the experience of developing this car from the start, and when he was selected to do the project. He said when they first started the project, and selected him to head it up, they sat him down in front of the decision makers. They brought in an original GT40 right in front of him and said "okay, so now, how are you going to improve on that?". He knew then it was going to be a challenge. Then commented to say the project was exciting and challenging trying to come up with something that kept all the original lines and shape, same doors and entry approach so you wouldn't hit your head getting in (as Ford originally designed it for Lemans). So, they decided to make it a just a little longer, wider, taller, but did not want to stray too much from the original car - ONLY making upgrades and technology changes where it made absolute sense.

In comparison, it sounded pretty quiet and tame with the stock exhaust compared to the 64-Valve Lambo right behind it. When you rev it up, it has that unmistakeable GT40 type exhaust note.

Nice to see some real effort and thought put into this car. I wonder how it will do against the Vette and Viper on the road race courses in the future ?????
Old 09-29-2003, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Ford GT

I got to see the Ford GT setting beside the '05 Mustang both in red at the Ford Performance and Shelby meet here in Tulsa in June. Huge wheels on both cars but the GT was very impressive. Just looking in the back window at those curled up snakes gave me goose bumps. I want one! Any color I just want one.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-25-2004, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Birdman93
Not Ranked     

I have had a GT on order since the announcement that they would be produced.

As far as the GT "not going to cut it", There are two teams set to run the GT in Le Mans, a team from Australia and one headed up by none other than Dan Gurney/Sir Jackie Stewart. Both teams plan on running at least two cars.

I'm having my GT retuned by Kenne Bell-computer simulations show we should see about 650HP, 700lb-ft with the upgrades.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 351-c
Not Ranked     

I, too saw the new GT at the auto show in detroit, and it's stunning! Even had my color choice on display, silver/ gray stripes. The 05 Mustang is also a fine car. They really got it right, while not in the same class as the Corvette, it's a fine sports car.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:20 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

>http://www.magiccitymustangs.com/ima..._TheOne_Fl.wmv
Old 01-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

great commercial......Ill take one .......or should I wait for the "Polish " version...
Old 01-25-2004, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Me too.....especially if it's a $39.9K roller.