14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-01-2004, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold a SPF
Not Ranked     
Default recommnedations for garage jacks..

Group: I have a question relative to garage jacks and one on getting towed during an unfortunate breakdown.

I imagine I will need a good floor jack and 2 jack stands. Do I need a low profile floor stand? I saw an all aluminum one at Sears. Do you recommend any brands and models?

In a breakdown, I assume one would select to a have their cobra hauled away on a flat bed. Can you provide me with a understanding on what my options are in the order of preference?

Any other cobra specific tools you recommend?

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2004, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Costco sells a low profile floor jack that will fit under a Cobra for about $70. It works great, and is half the price of the aluminum race jacks you see everywhere. My advise is to get 2 floor jacks and 4 good jack stands. You won't believe how many times you will wish you had one more jack!

The race jacks just lift the car quicker, no big deal if you are not in the pits at a race.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Sears has had a 3ton jack kit w/2stands, seat creeper, 4-bar lug spinner, fender cover for about a $100--wife gave this kit to me for Christmas--so far works great for me. do wish at times I had another floor jack but manage without just fine--and I have no problem getting the jack under my car.
FWIW
Old 02-02-2004, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

I just purchased four stands that have a square plate and four wheels attached.

They are adjustable and the car can be moved once on the four stands. I am sure that I have seen similiar in Kit Car Magazine.

Can Post some photos if you want to make them yourself although I think you will buy them cheaply. I paid $120 for the four - $65 a set reduced for the two pair.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-02-2004, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks....good info..
Old 02-02-2004, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

AC Hydraulics makes very nice jacks and stands. The jack is low profile.

I'm no expert.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     
Default two questions:

Bernie - can you provide a website or retail outlet name where we may be able to find the stands/manufacturer?

#2 - real rookie question here, but why two jacks...?

Thanks,
- Snak Iyz
Old 02-02-2004, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

I personally don't know why you would need two foor jacks. The aluminum racing jack is available at Harbor Freight, and Sam's Club for about 139.00. Sear's has a nice aluminum jack for about 189.00. The Sear's jack is a little lower in profile and has some nice features but both will do the job. I would recommend 4 good jack stands so you can get the whole car off the ground. You can do a search on floor jacks and this subject has been covered in length.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is it necessary to get the car totally off the ground for routine maintence work?;
Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

The reason I like two jacks is for convienience. On your daily driver, you can rotate your tires in a fraction of time with two jacks. It is also easier to put both sides of the car on jack stands if you can pick up the whole front or rear at the same time. Some cars can be lifted by one jack underneath the center of the car, and others need to be lifted from the outer edge (most unit-bodies). It is just a matter of preference. Also, one day you are going to blow a seal in your jack and if you don't have a spare at that moment, you will be hating life.

For what they do, jacks are cheap... buy two!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

got it..and thanks