26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Hawaii Senate Bill 2021, (the Cobra Bill)!

I am pleased to announce that Hawaii State Senate Bill 2021 will be submitted to the legislature for action by Senator Kawamoto (D). We expect it to go all the way to the Gov's desk, where it's fate remains uncertain at this time.

The bill basically expands on existing law that allows 1948 and back "hot rods" to be legally registered here all ready. We have added a "seat belt" clause and changed the applicable year to 1967.

Public and written testimony is tentativly scheduled for early February? We expect a good turn out and have some great "grass roots" support.

I have a .DOC file of the bill should anyone wish to see it. Just e-mail and ask! Hawaii Cobra owners getting ready to come out,,,,, of the garage!

PS: A grand time was had by all at the recent fund raiser\dinner for Sen. Kawamoto! Ron showed off his VERY nice Contemporary with the 428 and WEBERS! Looking "REAL" good!

Ernie
Old 01-28-2004, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Good luck Ernie.

If the bill passes and is signed by the gov, will you again sell your Excaliber (and then ship over your CR)?

Who is John Galt?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Ernie - I continue to be amazed that "new" law has to be inacted to eliminate old bad law. New law should NEVER, I repeat NEVER, be retro-active to the time it is inacted. And that was the folly with your old law. Congrads on your hollow victory if indeed it becomes law. You guys shouldn't have had to deal with such things in the first place. Sounds like Sen. Ron may be one of the good guys too. If the new law works well it might be a model for the "enlightened" agenda driven politicians we all forced to choose from though.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 01-28-2004 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-29-2004, 04:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Ernie.....

You've got mail.

- Bill -
Old 02-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

OK, this Wednesday 2:45 pm public hearing\testimony on this bill.

Rumor has it the local DOT is in favor. IF SO, that is huge for support getting it across the Gov's desk!

Bill, you just might be OK when you hit Hawaii with that ride!

Ernie
Old 02-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Up date on the "Cobra Bill".

DOT, as it turns out, is NOT in favor of the Bill and DID show up to testify against in the Senate hearing. In spite of that the Bill DID pass muster and TODAY was heard by the House. DOT, again, showed up to testify against us. BUT, their testimony was "not that bad", it was almost like they were going through the motions but didn't really have the "heart" to kill bill.

Rep. Ito blew us away with his WONDERFUL opinion of the Bill and his 100% support! This from a Representative I personally had NO previous knowledge of! Quite shocking!

He spoke of how these cars are owned by people who spend more time waxing them than driving them. How the cars become a "part" of them. The rest of the committee may not have clearly understood the "passion" but the local Cobra Club guys did!

I tell you, it was totally awesome to hear this kind of talk in the House of Representatives!

I'm just SURE it will pass the House, then onto some "committee" and finally the Gov's desk. We (local Cobra Club) have requested a personal meeting with the Gov to discuss the matter and convey our "passion".

Keep your fingers crossed, this is gonna be BIG.

Ernie
Old 02-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

He spoke of how these cars are owned by people who spend more time waxing them than driving them.

Ernie [/b]
I don't know Ernie, looks like you have a legisaltive finding that all Cobra owners in Hawaii are waxers. You should have kicked his a$$ for insulting you like that.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 02-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the sound of wax WAY better than "race" when it comes to this Bill.

Ernie
Old 02-12-2004, 05:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ernie,

Congratulations on the bill getting this far. Now when you go to meet with the Governor, be sure to take several types of waxes and polishes so they can see that what you are WAXING your car with isn't harzadorus to the environment. Since the bill is this far along, why not have the car sent to me and I can keep it here for you until you are ready to take it home. Heck, I could even drive it and see if any little bugs show up.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 02-12-2004 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ha ha, Ron your to kind!

March 5th, 9:30 am a conference with the Gov HAS been granted. There will be about 8 of us in attendance (names have been submitted for pre-approval).

Ernie
Old 02-12-2004, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excaliber,
Do you still have a Classic waiting for you?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, I have one in Ohio. It currently is for sale. Pending a resolution with the current bill it's "fate" remains uncertain. IF the bill fails I may well look into buying back my Excalibur (for the THIRD time).

If I do buy it back I will name the car, "Yoyo",

Ernie
Old 02-12-2004, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427 SC blueprint engines Chevy
Send a message via AIM to ccoe Send a message via Yahoo to ccoe
Not Ranked     

Ernie, Just a collective THANKS for you're time and effort spent working on this! Not too many people will take the time away from their "Hawaiian Paralysis" to do all that work! I'll be certain to inform the guys [Garden Isle Racing Association] of your efforts!Please e-mail a copy if possible!
P.S. Could you mention the repair of the potholes on my test track to those big shots? [the wax falls off when I hit 'em...]
Thanks again, Jagubra
Old 02-13-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Ernie....

If this bill passes, I owe you and your club big time! Thanks for the update.

- Bill -
Old 02-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

NOTE: I am but ONE member of a great group of people pushing this bill through. It IS a "club" effort.

The latest news on the bill is "not good", the House has made substantial changes to it. More when I find out just what it all means. COULD be good, may be bad.

A conference with the Governor HAS been granted (cool)!

Ernie
Old 02-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ernie,

Sorry to hear that they are already messing around with the bill. Before they get through you may have something like we have. The original bill here by Johannessen had no limit and none of the crap that SB-100 makes you go through. Any truth to the rumor that your Governor is consulting with the Calif. state Govt.?

Good Luck

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, heres the latest, and it looks like GOOD NEWS!!!

The House (being pissed at DOT) made sweeping changes to the Bill and wanted to "eliminate" the State DOT "recon" people entirely. We felt this was SO radical the Gov would veto for sure. SO, yesterday at a hearing for the Bill the "Club" WAS successful in getting the Bill BACK to it's original wording.

Essentially:
NO "re-construction inspection required for cars 1967 and back."

It gets better! A "deal" has been struck with the DOT boys! They will NOT PROTEST the Bill IF we limit the number of cars to 100 per year. Hmmmm,,,,, you think they been talking to someone in California?

At this point it appears there is no one left to protest the Bill. The scheduled meeting with the Governor (was this Friday, 9 am) has been cancelled as the Gov's advisors indicated they WOULD recommend the Bill when it got to the Gov's desk. Thus, there is nothing left to "argue".

This is not totally a "done deal" there are a couple of "committees" or "hearings" still scheduled on the matter. Anything could happen between now and then. BUT, it sure looks good, I think it's a GO.

Ernie
Old 03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Does this mean you get your car?

Do you still have the Cobra on order @ Jay's shop?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Way to go Ernie--glad you stepped up and went the distance---wish you and your "club" the best hope it passes for all the rodders there.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
Don't even!!

100 in the islands woul br like 10,000 in California. What is it?..35,000,000 or so here.

Be happy!