Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NONE
Not Ranked     
Default new member

hello everyone I just joined the club and am trying to figure this site out.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am trying to figure out the best companies to buy a cobra replica from. I have norrowed my choices down to B and B, SPF, and FF5. I like what B and B are offering, but would like to know about your opinions.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Three very different cars. What are "your" requirements? Are you going to build? Race? Etc., Etc..
Old 01-28-2004, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hello there i didn't think i was getting any of my mess. across.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi MoparMadness:
First off, your question is alot like many we get here in trying to differentiate the various replicas from each other. This differentiation is something that the replica builders do not do very well. So we as consumers have to look elsewhere.

Might I suggest that you invest in a good book on this subject?

If you go to my Cobra Bibliography, (Click on the WWW button just under this post) you will get to my web page. Go get a cup of coffee or two if you are on dial up. It is a huge page now with loads of graphics.

In the books section, you will find perhaps one of the most helpfull books on Cobra Replicas. It is titled "Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas, 3rd Edition" by Curt Scott.

Also, for those of you in Great Britain, Ian Stent's Cobra Replicas book, does a real nice job on the English replicas.

However, since I imagine that you are Stateside, the The Curt Scott book is the one that you should get and study. Also read my advice in that review.

Lastly.... you are not thinking of powering a Cobra with a Mopar Hemi are You?

Cheers

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 01-28-2004 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-28-2004, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I want to build my own car. I believe i am very mechanically inclined. I have helped restore a bunch of mopars with a friend of mine in the twin cities.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the site. I had ordered a cobra book off the web site KITKARCLUB and am waiting for that to show up. I had looked at the book you had mentioned and the one i had ordered, and thougth that one which had more in it via what was told about them on the sites.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Hello Moparmaddnes,
Welcome aboard. I'm also in the Bay Area Mid Penninsula Mopar Club.
Bob Faust
Old 01-28-2004, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The SPF car is pretty much a roller. All you need to add is the Motor & Tranny & you're on the road. The other two you mentioned are kits that you can build from the ground up & in some instances, if you choose, have others do the work for you. The FFR car can be very budget friendly because you can use a donor car for your drivetrain & running gear or you can mix in custom parts to your liking. I'm not real familiar with the B&B cars. The Bodies on all three cars are all different in shape.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Again Mopar:

The Scott book, tells you WHAT the 5 most important features of each Replica kit are. That is a novel approach. Of course you alone can only figure out if those features are important to you.

I too am awaiting the KITCARCLUB book. I have not seen it yet. It too is on order. Lets hope it is good.

You should try to find some guys in your local area of the US that have the replicas you are thinking about. Perhaps a call to each replica dealer could provide you with references in your geography?

Good Luck.

And again... are you going to put a HEMI in that Cobra??

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-28-2004, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am somewhat confused about when you say different shapes.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

most manufacturers have a body shape that is unique to that company. Kinda their own version of the "Cobra". Some would argue that some are more accurate than others.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nope not going to put a HEMI in the car, would like to put in a 427 side oiler, but I can,t afford that. I'm going to turn 30 in a couple weeks and just starting a family one son just turned 1. I love mopar and all makes and manuf. Just getting tired of the way the prices of the original cars are going.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I want a car that is as accurate as possible, but doesn't need to be exact to the last detail.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am selling my 71' Challenger to finance the project. I want something nice to drive and be proud of. Was thinking of building a stroked small block with manual, approx. 390 cubes.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by moparmaddnes

I want a car that is as accurate as possible, but doesn't need to be exact to the last detail.
Try ERA or Kirkham if you want it 'as accurate as possible' and build it yourself. Kirkham is an aluminum bodied car and the price point is higher. Both fine cars. For an accurate look but generally less money look at Unique. Just some of the many, but good places to start.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 01-28-2004, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OUt of the three you listed SPF is probably about the nicest, most accurate bodywise. This might start a war though so you didn't hear it from me

Budget is your best starting point. If you have a # in mind you'll have a good starting point. I ended up eclipsing that number a while back & I'm nowhere near done. No regrets though
Old 01-28-2004, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well i was thinking 20,000, but I can do just about everything from putting the car together , painting or have father-in-law, and building the motor.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by moparmaddnes

well i was thinking 20,000, but I can do just about everything from putting the car together , painting or have father-in-law, and building the motor.
So much for Kirkham, SPF, ERA, Unique, etc. To finish a car for 20 you will HAVE to do EVERYTHING your self.

What kind of Challenger is it? Prices on those seem to range from 10 to 80 for a hemi r/t.

I am not that familiar with BandB but you could do FF5 (bare bones and lots of parts shopping). Of course you will have to go the donor route with that kind of budget. At best you will be able to freshen, yourself, the donor parts.

But oh the fun you will have!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 01-28-2004, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like FFR is a good choice. I've seen some really nicely done, award winning FFR cars. Another choice, which is also a really nice car & is close to that is Unique Replicas. Unique was second on my list when I was doing research. They are quality people with a great product. When All said & Done the unique will cost you more than you are proposing but it may be worth the stretch if you are doing most of the work.