9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     
Default ERA "S/C" rear fenders?

Has anyone here that owns an ERA ordered their car with what ERA calls the optional S/C flare? I have studied the photos on ERA's website but honestly they are not very good. I've always liked the wide hipped versions on the real cars and was wondering just how ERA compares as I might want to change mine when it's time to repaint. If any of you ordered the S/C flare on your car could you please post a photo so I could have someting to compare with.

Thanks,
Gary
ERA #291
Old 01-29-2004, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Gary,

Like you, I was confused about the 2 rear fender flare options when I ordered my ERA. From their website I was under the impression that the difference between the two was essentially how wide the lip was. That is, how far did it protrude out from main body. When I went to ERA, they showed me the difference and from the outside of the car there was no difference to my eye. The difference could be felt though when you felt the edge of the flare. The edge of the optional flare was much thicker and felt kind of like it was rolled under. In summary, I'd say the difference is the thickness of the rear fender flare edge rather than how much it flares out. I did end up going with the thicker optional flare. Pictures in my gallery but you can't see much from the photo.

Chris

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=11198
Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Where's Bob Putnam when you need him?

Chris,
I think you're right. I have the standard flares, and comparing them to your pictures, they look the same.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     
Default Chris --- Wheels

Chris,

What brand and size of wheels and tires are on your car? Do you have a good shot of your car from shows more of a side view coming from either front or back of car?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Jamie,

I bought the wheels from here: http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/

The fronts are 275/40/17 on 17x9.5 inch wheels. The rears are 335/35/17 on 17X11.5 inch wheels. I do have some other photos but they're prints and not digitals. If the weather clears up this weekend I'll take some new ones and post them.

Chris
Old 01-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

As I recall...my understanding is the body width is the same between the two bodies, however if you want the more pronounced lip vs. standard wide flare, material is slightly added to the inside and material is removed (cut away) from the outside until the lip becomes more pronounced. Its sort of cut in so to speak. Look at the pics again & compare how one is cut in more agressively while the standard is sloped gradually with no lip.

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/blue.htm

Last edited by decooney; 01-30-2004 at 01:33 AM..
Old 01-30-2004, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

My ERA has the S/C flare, but this is the best view I have amongst my photo collection. Still, the highlights show the lip a little.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 01-30-2004 at 01:56 AM..
Old 01-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Chris,

Thanks. I think those wheel look great.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

I think I get it. What ya'll are saying is they build up the inside of the fender and sand a more pronounced lip into the outside? That makes sense.....I've just been looking for an ERA with what I call the "wide hipped" flare I have seen on some originals which really sticks out. Thanks guys.....now I have to start paying attention to the ERAs I run into. Love the pictures as I can never get enough ERA pictures.

Thank you Sirs,
Gary
ERA #291
Old 01-30-2004, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I've always understood them to constitute a more defined "lip" around the flare, rather than a flare that was actually wider. They look great either way. Chris, beautiful car.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Snakeeyes: Right, the lip is wider on the S/C.

To quote ERA, "The left-side picture shows the SC (competition) rear flare that we offer. The right picture has the standard flare. The difference is subtle but noticable to the "trained eye". The comp fenders don't, however, have any more room than our standard flares for larger tires."

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 01-30-2004 at 09:49 AM..