Ron,

And the less travled the better.....

KK
Old 01-31-2004, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

There is so much B.S. in that description that I wouldn't buy it on principle alone.
Steve

"The only difference between this and Carroll Shelby’s original, other than the pedigree, is that the body is fiberglass"

"It is mounted on a powder coated tube frame exactly like the OEM original."

"Contemporary is considered by most to have been the premier quality builder of reproduction Cobras, producing cars that have the closest accuracy to the original cars."

Give me a break.

Last edited by Steve R; 01-31-2004 at 11:02 PM..
Old 01-31-2004, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Genuine original Unique MotorCars 427 S/C, with a Genuine original Ford 427 Side-oiler.
Send a message via Yahoo to Cobranut
Not Ranked     

In it's day, before Burtis took over, Contemporary was one of the top manufacturers, particularly with respect to authenticity.

It's impossible to tell from the photos, but if that car really is of the quality described, it could easily be worth over $60K.
Heck, the engine could cost you $20K, if you can even find a good block anymore.

I agree, the description is a bit sweet for my tastes.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

Buy it and put white stripes on it. It will cost a couple grand to do it right, but you'll have one hell of a car.

As posted above, the car is a good buy at 60K. Never mind the guy's prosey sales pitch. If what he says is there, really is, then it is more than worth the asking price. It is well worth going to see the car or send an expert to look it over.

And yes, Contemporary was the most authentic kit in it's day and in the time period in which this car was built. ERA was a very close second in that regard and only because they used some suspension pieces other than Jag on the front end. Contemporary's front A arms were very close to original and used Jag spindles instead of GM.

Karl is absolutely right. It ain't the basics that cost the bucks. It's all the goodies that go into making it "perfect" in the eyes of the owner. Every hotrodder who ever started out with a 30K budget and wound up 100K into it after the painter, the chrome shop and the suspension gang got done can tell you this.

Like I said above, those polished Halibrands alone are 800 bucks apiece without tires. If the rest of the car is at that level, 100k is quite probable when someone else does the work, instead of the owner.

Al
Old 02-01-2004, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Searching
Not Ranked     

Hi all:

Just traded info with the owner on this car. He has some unique ideas as to the value. Here is the summary:

1) He claimes he was offered 40k for the engine alone.
2) a former cobra salesman told him to not accept anything less than 100k for the car. He may be willing to go a bit lower though.

sounded like a bit more of the sunshine in his e-bay ad to me.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sunshine? You sure it aint bullshine? ha ha

Ernie
Old 02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

I gotta find out what he's got in that pipe of his.

B.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good one Ernie.

Gregg
Old 02-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even as a proud Contemporary owner, i must say ...Da guy is smokin "da kine"
Old 02-01-2004, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

karl

Why don't you tell him. Save the poor guy the disappointment of seeing his auction fall 40k short of his goal.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"It's impossible to tell from the photos, but if that car really is of the quality described, it could easily be worth over $60K."

For that kind of money, it could have at least been equiped with a proper fan shroud.
Steve
Old 02-01-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Genuine original Unique MotorCars 427 S/C, with a Genuine original Ford 427 Side-oiler.
Send a message via Yahoo to Cobranut
Not Ranked     

Whaddya mean???
I can't really tell much about the grille area from the photos, but it does appear to have aluminum around the oil cooler and radiator. It doesn't have the original pusher type fans though.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

The pic's are not comprehensive, but enough is revealed to point out that it is only an "above average "build.

Front suspension is the coil over type but does not have the available billet pieces,rotors look stock, does not have a significant brake upgrade , rear suspension looks quite stock (a lot of room for improvement ) does not have the aluminum lined hood or trunk compartment.does not apear to have a defrost/heater, from what i can tell the car is not fitted with.... halon,pre-oiler,dry sump,or any other super bells and whistles...

It is a very nice car.......maybe high 50's... tops

KK
Old 02-01-2004, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

David, Karl,
Don't mind me. It does look like a very nice car. I just DO NOT have any time for bull$hiters. All I can think of is some poor slob that sees that ad and thinks he is going to get a carbon copy of the original.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-01-2004 at 08:06 PM..
Old 02-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

I hear you, I cant tell whether he is a con man or just sloppy and clueless......hell maybe HE paid a 100 for it....

buyer beware......always..

KK
Old 02-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Ok. At 40K if the car is "as advertised" its a good buy at $40K. At 50K to 60K you start getting into new ERA and SPF territory. At $65K to $75K you start getting into KMP and glass CSX territory (finished).

Anything beyond $45K I would start looking at other options.

Has the "seller" of that Contemporary seen the sale figure for the nice Contemporary ($23K) at the BJ auction. That may provide a little cold water for his bravado.

Karl: Well turned out ERA's from the factory "turn key" with nearly every original detail from pin drives, girling reservoirs, top and tonneau could be built turn key for $55K to $65K in the time frame when this Contemporary car was constructed. I have a hard time believing the original owner put $100K into that Contemporary. I would put ERA and Contemporary on par with each other and their initial cost from the factory in pure kit form was equivilent. They were truly the Lincoln and Cadillac of the glass Cobra replicas in their day. Probably still are.

Last edited by REAL 1; 02-02-2004 at 03:42 PM..
Old 02-02-2004, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would never mention any brands here for fear of offending someone. But well built Contemporaries (not mine) are a hell of a lot better Cobra replica than some of Today's name brands.

This guy is not trying to sell his Cobra to the "experts" at Club Cobra, he is trolling on E-Bay to see what his car will bring. I am sure the salesmen here on Club Cobra know all about reeling in customers.

Cranky
Old 02-02-2004, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Looks like a pretty nice piece to me, I would say 45 - 50K should do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by REAL1

Has the "seller" of that Contemporary seen the sale figure for the nice Contemporary ($23K) at the BJ auction. That may provide a little cold water for his bravado.
Evan,

I don;t think the 'average car guy' is buying many cars at B-J, especially replicas. Buying a replica at B-J is a good deal for the buyer, but it is not representative of the market conditions.

I think your other statement regarding ERA, SPF, KMP was more on the mark.