28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     
Exclamation CSX Clip on eBay for sale with title?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2458130625 I believe this is/was a 289 car?? I wonder what the Registry says about this car? someone should get this VIN and keep an eye on it. Real good Chance of future fraud. Interesting story as well as a nice piece of History.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:48 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I have the original door dataplate for a 68GT500KR convertible that has long been crushed (SAAC already has it in their records). Should I put that up on Ebay .

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Exclamation In Branson Missouri...?????

....Quote Bart Simpson: "Branson Missouri, It's like Las Vegas if Ned Flanders ran it..."

Can't wait to see this show up at Barrett-Jackson next year...

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-02-2004, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like it has a partial frame. I think I could "restore" it. Maybe I should get me a Kirkham FIA.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     

The hole in the center of the rear panel indicates it must nave been a competition car and may have crashed and separated from the front part of the car. I wonder if the VIN is at the left top. Hard to read, though.

Shin

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 02-02-2004, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default "The Holy Graile Says"

The car is represented as COX6004 by the seller who E mailed back to me.

From the Holy Graile vintage 1997 I quote:

" Vineyard Green/Beige interior. (a little faded huh?) Built by AC Cars to RHD specifications. 6004 was consigned on 11/13/63 to Lord Cross (Sussex, England) Cross raced the car, registered with the tag "4141 PE," and fitted it with widened flares, a full width roll bar, a hood scoop, and an oil cooler/scoop. Although the car was raced with its original 6" wires, these eventually gave way to wider rims. 6004 was treated to a full restoration by Nick Green (ENG) in the early 80's, at which point the flares were widened further. The car has remained green with beige trim and has been equipped with a racing screen and Webers. An early round Cobra badge has been installed on the car's trunk just above the AC emblem."

Rick
Old 02-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

you know the add posts COX 6004 but if you look close at the title its COX6002...wonder what thats about? Typo?

Matt
Old 02-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by 427Aggie

you know the add posts COX 6004 but if you look close at the title its COX6002...wonder what thats about? Typo?

Matt
well, we know COX6002 hasn't lost its rear clip...
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Yea thats apparently the problem..I know someone that was looking into purchasing the clip..it is COX6002 and apparently the history is very shady and this clip is known in the registry and not viewed as a valid COX...the actual car is suppost to have never left France.

Matt
Old 02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank God for the registry! Can you imagine how many original cobras we would now have if not this documented history?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

The Registry is very clear on this VIN and makes specific reference to the fact that COX 6002 has never left France, hence there is no way it could have a title in the US. The manner in which a title was fraudulently acquired is also covered - it can be traced back to TN when the owner of the junk recently advertised on eBay claimed it was the remains of his former car. It was not. No doubt the seller of the garbage on eBay mis-identified it as COX 6004 to minimize the number of people who would read in the registry that what he has is (a) junk and (b) fraudulent junk at that!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     
Default "Clip" now no longer for sale....

At last check, the item is no longer for sale. makes you wonder if some fool (Or CRiminal) bought it. or did this guy get so much heat that he just gave up?? time will tell.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Sometimes it seems that original Cobras (and GT40s, as well) are a little like the flatworms we used to learn about in high school biology class...cut one in half and each piece regenerates into a complete new one...
Old 02-05-2004, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As someone who is not new to this forum, but also not very knowledgable on the topic of Cobras, I have a question. If it isn't COB XXXX, then where did it come from, and also, is it worth anything?

Rich
Old 02-05-2004, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

I also was wondering were the piece came from. It looks pretty authentic! What happened to the front? It seems like it was just sawed in half, because the reart section is pretty complete.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snakeeys,

We go together 50/50 and buy a 289 car , cut it in half , then we buy a Kirkham , cut it in half , reweld , .....voila! two genuine Shelby cobras.......

KK
Old 02-05-2004, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I'm with you, Karl!

Er, can I borrow the money to buy my half? I'll pay you back after we sell the cars, promise!

Anyone for "Club Flatworm?"
Old 02-05-2004, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SVM7688, 427 FE med riser, doug nash 5-speed, 3.54 9 inch locker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by 427Aggie

Matt
The title reads COX6004 Matt, I had it in my hand last Nov when I turned it down.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

The rear clip in the eBay auction was offered for sale in one of Gordon Gimbel's newsletters back in the early '70's for, I think, $600. It came from a wrecked 289 race car that was rebuilt using the original numbered front sections of the frame. The rear section was too torsionally twisted to be economically repaired. It had NO numbers on it. The bogus "title" that was attached to this clip resulted from a former owner of CSX 2186 reading that his car had originally been planned as a show car for Europe and was numbered COX 6002. Later, at the AC factory, the car was re-stamped CSX 2186 and another car, also white with red leather, was numbered COX 6002. This former owner bought the junk rear clip, told the DMV he had owned both 2186 and 6002, and swore this was the remains of 6002. B.S. The fraudulent title which accompanies this rear clip reads 6002, even on the eBay auction site, and if it read COX 6004 that would be doubly dumb, as there is no such car. 6004 was a right-hand-drive car and has always had a COB chassis number and title. In addition, 6002 has always been in France, where it remains today. COX 6002 or COX 6004 - it doesn't matter: the so called "title" is a fake and has no value other than as a fire-starter. But in the event some poor fool wants to buy this junk and spend $100k+ to create what he hopes to one day pass off as "a real Cobra" - well - lots of luck, bubba!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default and here's what the British say...

from the British website for CobraOwner'sClub

cobrabob

1 Posts
Posted - 31 January 2008 : 16:39:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone across the pond. I'm new to this forum, but I've owned CSX2186 since 1980. One of the first things I learned about the car is that it started life as COX6002--all the usual serial number spots are numbered 6002 rather than 186, and the frame has COX6002 overstamped with CSX2186. We have since learned that the COX6002 in France, which has been rebodied as a Daytona coupe, was probably originally mumbered CSX2186. My questions are two-fold: does anyone have any knowledge as to why the two cars were switched, and does anyone know which car actually appeared at the '63 Paris Auto Show? The only visible difference in the cars was interior color--my car has a black interior and the other car had a red interior. My car (the present CSX2186) has a positive ground (earth) which is manifested in the clock and Smiths electric tachometer. and doesn't show any evidence of an AC badge on the boot lid.
If anyone has any knowledge that would help clear up this mystery, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Trevor Legate

United Kingdom
143 Posts
Posted - 01 February 2008 : 16:55:58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bob

I very much doubt that any further light can be shed on this issue - I guess the entries in the last SAAC World Registry cover the matter pretty well. If it makes you feel better, yours is not the only car to suffer from this 'problem'. CSX2354 was pulled off the so-called production line, turned into COX6012 and sent to the 1964 Geneva Motor Show, still with 2354 stampings on the hood latch and elsewhere, and an mixture of parts for both the American and european markets. Another chassis became 2354 and was sent to SAI in the usual way. Both cars still exist, in Germany and New York, but by a weird twist of fate are (were) both owned by people with the name 'Otto'. All helps to confuse!! I suspect AC simply altered a cars ID to meet the most urgent demand at the time, either from SAI or a dealer in Europe.
Back in the period, nobody at AC was too bothered about chassis numbers or what was stamped where - they would be very amused by the manner in which people get over-excited by such matters today....but obviously in your case its nice to know as much as possible.

(Incidentally Trevor Legate doesn't reveal in his note that he is a famous Cobra author/researcher, which might not matter re his comments)