LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2004, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     
Default Handling the Greenies?

While sitting here at work, enjoying the "The Morality Police" post, I got into a discussion about cars and the environment with a fellow employee. He was appalled when I told him of the proposed 7-10 mile per gallon, no smog equipment toy that I have been slowly building myself. I explained that I had done all I could to protect the environment within reason; msd box, hot plugs etc.. This doesn't seem to have helped. I'm glad I never mention the minimal safety equipment. This conversation started to get me pretty wound up. The general perception seems to be that if it was not federally regulated and made by a major manufacture, it's destroying the environment. I was reminded of a meet at a local diner two summers ago when I had my Vette. A women (old) in the lot walk by my Vette and was telling her husband how it was a shame that "Cars like these are allowed on the road" and "the damage that they do". Then she hopped into her Subaru Outback and drove away. I was dumb struck by this. If you are so worried about the environment, why the hell are you driving in the first place. Damage is damage. Sorry for the rant there. Guess I'm still angered by this. It’s my money and time and I pay to have these privileges. I get worried when I hear talk like that because someday it may lead to the end of our hobby (Read between the lines: Freedom). Has anyone else had these discussions?

--Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

You'll never win an argument with anyone who's understandings are based in faith rather than fact.

Who is John Galt?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I personally feel like we should use up our petroleum resources as quickly as possible so we can accelerate the development of alternative energy, and have a foreign policy that is not influenced by oil.

I'm a getting my Cobra for the good of humanity! Besides... ol' Shel is working on a hydrogen Cobra...

-JT
Old 02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm a getting my Cobra for the good of humanity!

I am on the floor. The greenie has left the room in horror! Bravo!!!!

--Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Mike,

Your discussion sounds all to familiar. Several around here think the 8 to 10 Cobras are destroying the whole environment and their big SUV's with the smog equipment disconnected until time for it to be inspected is ok. One even had special pipes made so he can take the Catalitic convertors off his car between smog tests. All the Cobras and street rods around here put together are driven less in a year than any of these people drive their big tanks in 3 months. I just walk off when they start as I don't like arguing and especially about something that is as asinine as this. It is a no win situation as we are the enemy and must be stamped out by whatever means they can use. So, best to just go off and sulk in silence than point out that if I called the smog inpector and told him they had their cats. off, they would be in worse trouble than we are.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron61,
I couldn't agree more. However, I do worry about the future. Not just for Cobras but any and all hot rods or interesting autos. We could be quickly made to delegate our rides to simple showpieces without ever getting to enjoy them the way they were intended. The truth is, I think they are pissed that they don't have one or something like it so they don't want the rest of us to have one either.

LURK,
I know about Shelby's hydrogen project. I think this is the way automotive energy will go in the future. I keep an eye on all things hydrogen. Mainly because my wife is a scientist for GM's hydrogen fuel cell program here in N.Y.. Can you say Hydrogen powered Cobra hop-up parts?! Sounds like a future business for me.

--Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Opinions are like as$holes, everybody's got one. It's a shame that National air quality standards are based on one citys' unique geography (L.A.).

And bad air in the summer because of industrial air pollution is blamed on automobiles.

In real life, I've been in the Environmental Profession for 30 years, a Hot Rodder for 45 years, and a Cobra owner for about 3 years. Well maintained, and properly tuned musclecars don't pollute. The engine efficiency required for HP output is not consistent with engine inefficiency which causes pollution.

And most Environmental Professionals share a distain for so-called environmentalists collectively referred to as "Tree-Huggers".

"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they speak."
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Peatie K. - I'm praying for you.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well maintained, and properly tuned muscle cars don't pollute. The engine efficiency required for HP output is not consistent with engine inefficiency, which causes pollution.
Jack21,
I agree, that is part of my argument. If you are going to spend tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your ride, then it will run clean. This is because of the points you outlined. You just can't get that fact to hit home with the "Sierra Club" types.

--Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Jack,

I am very happy to see an enviromental person here that doesn't think hot rodders and other classic car owners are the whole reason for pollution. As you stated, these cars are well maintained and kept tuned. Much better than 90% of the newer ones are. I have people around me that complain because I change my spark plugs to often and that adds to the land fill problem. Their cars can go 100,000 miles without having to have any maintenance on them. My best friend owns a garage and he has changed about 10 motors in the last three years that were burned up because of the no maintenance for 100K miles. The fools thought that meant no oil, water, or anything else until after the 100K mark. And they just ignore the fact that the Cobras are not a Winter car and a lot of days in the Summer it is to hot around here to go out driving until late in the evening. For every 100 miles I drive mine, the other people around here drive 10,000 miles, most of it up and down the street for 6 blocks at a time.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-03-2004, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Tony, my point exactly! It's a religion to the greenies. You cannot win an argument when the person you are arguing with bases everything in faith rather than fact.

Who is John Galt?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

I find this discussion too interesting to pass up. My daily driver is an '87 Corvette (Brand X - 210K miles, never had a head off, 26+ MPG on road, runs clean and strong, although I might be in the market soon for the new Ford Hybrid *small* SUV) but my fair weather machine of choice is, of course, my Cobra. I've been a hot rodder since I learned to drive, drag racing my '50 Olds D Gas coupe, then learning the joys of turning corners by autocrossing my '64 Plastic Chevvie convertible many years ago. I am currently preparing my Cobra for some serious autocrossing when the rain goes away. And when I drive it on the street all I get is smiles and the ole thumbs up. I am also a Life Member of the Sierra Club. And I *did* hug some huge redwoods last New Year's Day in Guerneville. I guess I'm a bit of a paradox, but I think one can balance the love of high performance and the environment as well. In fact, I recently became a member of Alcoholics Ananimous, a group dedicated to the use of alky (ethanol) as an alternative fuel, to help get us off the old fashioned petroleum bandwagon. There are still issues to be resolved, but the potential (even for the short term) is very good. If you have any interest in this, you might check out their website http://secure.permaculture.com. Peace, Rich.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

LURK I agree with you 100% I say use the petrol and use it fast so we can get on with the show.

My Cobra gets 7.5 miles to a gallon, my SUV get 9.5 miles to a gallon, I've been asked how I live with myself, I simply say I'm an Eco-terrorist and proud of it. I use gas and create jobs, don't thank me, just love me!

They usually walk away

The Spitz
Old 02-03-2004, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am also a Life Member of the Sierra Club
badrich,
You must have one heck of a time with some of the Seirra Club members or do you hide your ........ alternate life style?

I guess I am a bit of a paradox too. Look who I married.

--Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to leadslingndaddy
Not Ranked     

But yet I can drive my 15mpg F250 SD Diesel and never have to worry about an emission test! Go figure....I love getting next to a KIA with the window down and see the disgust of the driver..(yea it's loud)..That's when I hit the throttle and leave a big black soot cloud in their interior area!

I'm sure soon they will be lobbying to get the diesels in on the rollers....Just more money for the states....
Old 02-03-2004, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Hey Badrich, Keep coming back. It works if you work it We "Type A'''s' bring our other addictions along with us.

Goes with the territory, I guess.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I take offen offense at the tone of many of the above messages. There is nothing wrong with wanting to preserve the environment. It sound like many owners are proud of the fact they get 8 MPG. Take your heads out of the sand, everyday there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and less oxygen.

Remember there are now 6 billion (6,000 million) of us sharing this space capsule we call earth. There is only so much of everything to go around. The carrying capacity of this planet is finite!

Bob

Bob
Old 02-03-2004, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob In Ct,
First let me say, please take my comments and this post with a grain of salt. We all care about the environment. However, this is also a question of freedom. If you read carefully, there are many good points laid out about maintenance and emissions. Future technologies will make it possible to enjoy our hobbies cleanly. However, that time is not now. Environmentalists should understand that we are trying to do things better. For instance, when I was a kid, my parents threw away everything. Now, I recycle everything I can. All of my vehicles are always kept in top running order and I do try to conserve fuel. As for efficiency, it's my money. I can burn as much of it as I like. Now for my next comment. Please take this in the spirit is meant and not as a verbal chastising: If you are so concerned with the environment, why are you driving your Cobra? I am just looking for a little consistency. As badrich said "I guess I am a paradox". I guess I am too.

--Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default Just a Thought......

Bob:

Why be offended? I don't think that was the intent of the posts. Although, I would not put it past these guys to jerk your chain a bit.

Environmentalism is based in beliefs, somewhat similar to religion. There's nothing "wrong" with having strong beliefs related to our environment, just like there' nothing "wrong" with being a Christian, a Muslim, or a Hindu.

The problem arises when people who hold these views try to impose their "agenda" on others. When this happens, it is only natural that there will be resistance. The resistance will be directly proportional to the perception of how the imposition of such an agenda would impact their lives.

Be green to your heart's content. But, if you expect everyone to agree, it ain't gonna happen.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 02-04-2004 at 06:25 AM..
Old 02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The problem arises when people who hold these views try to impose their "agenda" on others. When this happens, it is only natural that there will be resistance. The resistance will be directly proportional to the perception of how the imposition of such an agenda would impact their lives.
Um.....Yeah....What he said.

--Mike