Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock Cobra, Ford Cleveland 351-4V
Not Ranked     
Question Cold Start Up

After standing for a week or more, then my car takes a lot of turning over before finally firing up. Once it fires then she is away without problem. I suspect that the fuel is draining back to tank or just evaporating ?? Engine is a 351-4V with Edelbrock #1405 carb, with nothing exotic in the system.

Is there anything to cure this...I would welcome any comments or suggestions etc.
Thanks Guys
Old 02-04-2004, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

You did not say what kind of fuel pump you have or if you have an electric or manual choke.
Can you give us a bit more to go on?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bruce,
mechanical fuel pump and the choke is a manual.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you have a fuel pump gauge in line? How far are you closing the choke? I know more questions.
If the mechanical pump has gone bad they will sometimes suck most of the fuel out of the carb after sitting for a time. Electrics do not do have that probelm. Also if you are over choking the car at start up it will flood out and be a pain to start. Easy thing to check for flooding is black smoke out of the pipes at start up.
The AFB syle carb does not have a power valve that can leak down into the engine on shut down like the Holley so I am sure you do not have a carb leak problem.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bruce,
I use little if no choke on start up, I orginally purchased the car secondhand and was advised that it was easy to flood if too much choke. I am just replacing the in line fuel filter as I have had some "spluttering" at high revs and suspected a fuel flow problem. I will thus try and check out the mechanical pump as well. I do not have a gauge that I can fit but will first look for something obvious. Lastly exhaust colour is good, never smokes and exhaust tail is a nice ash grey in general. Engine was rebuilt some 2000km ago and carb was new at that time, so should be in good order. I will do some checking and get back.....will also try some heavier choke to see what happens!!
Thanks for your advice thus far
Charlieh
Old 02-04-2004, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Charlieh,

No problem let me know what you find.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Charlie - what kind of temps are you working in? (Don't make me jealous now).

I have an Edelbrock carb on my car, stripped the choke right off because it just does not need it, even in sub zero UK temps.
3 or 4 pumps of the throttle before I turn it over gets it every time. Even ticks over straight from cold startup - go figure.

What I do notice is that when I first switch on the ignition, the (electric) fuel pump takes a few seconds to refill the carb bowls - as you suspect, these carbs are prone to boiling/evaporating all the fuel out of the bowls as they stand. I can actually hear the fuel boiling in mine after hot shutdown. One of these days I will get around to fitting an insulating carb spacer.

If there is a problem with your mech fuel pump, track it down quick, as they can (emphasise can) leak fuel into the block/oil sump.

HTH
Old 02-04-2004, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Some of the recent (but not the brand new) Eddy carbs would crack and the bowls would be low or empty. May not be your case, but worth a look. If I find the thread I will post it for you. My Carter is similar and it takes about 5 - 6 pumps with the choke to start. And it never gets cold here. Have never flooded the car.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I owned an Edelbrock Carb a few years back. Great carb to learn on Overall once tuned in it ran really good but developed acc. pump problems about a year in so I replaced it with a Holley. Best choice I made with that car. Overall a better carb in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about setting the choke, Just do it when it's cold & inch it closed in increments until it starts best for you. Unless of course you already know what your doing...Just ignore this post Good luck
Old 03-25-2004, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,
I have only picked up on these latter posts a little late. Thank you for all your input and points taken. I have now tried using some choke (wasn't previously) and that has improved start up time from a standing period considerably. The car starts well even if left standing during the day ie morning commute and then start for the end of day dash home.
Wilf - I note you have an electric fuel pump, my feel is that this would be a big improvement but will research some more with my local cobra gurus. Have checked the sump oil and no signs of any filling or oil contamination, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again guys and great pointers.
Charlieh
Old 03-26-2004, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

What's your cold start preocedure? Just turn key and wait for it to fire off?

Mash gas pedal to floor once, let it return to closed throttle, then crank the starter.