14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Question Master Disconnect Switch??

I have been considering installing a master disconnect switch, one that interupts the cable from the battery to starter solenoid. It would mount on the rear bulkhead and have a removable "Flag Type" key. My intent is to prevent the starter from functioning without the circuit completed with the key, sort of an additional layer of theft protection, albeit inexpensive. Has anyone done this? Your thoughts & opinions?

Rick

Last edited by Rick Parker; 02-07-2004 at 10:23 AM..
Old 02-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

i have seen quite a few done this way. spf has one available as an option located in the trunk, so when disconnect switch key is off or removed and trunk is locked, no juice goes anywhere. my older spf did not have that but has the trunk mounted battery. i got a 'disconnect switch' available from many parts houses that is a green knob on a separate terminal that is added between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post. turn the knob to the left and battery is OFF, turn it to the right, battery is on. or remove it. i just turn it off and lock my trunk. they are priced between $10 and $15 dollars. easy/ quick fix. bill
Old 02-07-2004, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Disconnect

Rick,

I have one like Bill is describing. If you would like, I can post a picture. You can see how the SPF dealers install the switch.

Let me know.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."
Old 02-07-2004, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and collectibles, 351W, 370HP
Not Ranked     
Default battery disconnect switch

Many race tracks require a battery shut off in the cockpit if you have a trunk mounted battery. I said I would never race mine (still under construction) but I went donw to Road America once when a cobra club was using the track and was smitten. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to install the "race ready" stuff during the build than to add it after. I don't give advice on builds since mine isn't compete and I made my share of mistakes, but I will say that I incorporated several things I might not have otherwise based on what Road America (Elkheart Lake) requires. Plus doing it now allowed me to make these things blend in and not look out of place and it left my options for race track use open. Just my two cents

Wayne Z
Old 02-07-2004, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Stepen C:

Yes please post a picture.

Thanks
Rick............
Old 02-07-2004, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hey Rick.....

I'm just about to leave to go to dinner. In fact, the wife is giving me one of those stern "wifey" glares even as I type this. I will post it later tonight when I get back.

Please check back later, I will put it in my gallery and post a link here in this thread.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i now have two battery cut off switches, in fact, if you count up every "switch" you have to activate to actually turn my motor over, it is seven, counting the key! The mathematical permuation must run in the hundreds of thousands!!

Anyway, i have the Olthoff installed one in the trunk, but since many of the track places insist on one being either in the cockpit or outside the car, i put a big amp Moroso one in the left over hole just behind my cockit, from when my rollbar was switched over to a full width bar. So it is "outside" the car, mine is metal, NHRA approved, with the alternator cut off in it, (that part is acutally not wired up yet, as my car won't run at idle off the alternator).

My caution for anyone else considering an outside switch, is to get one with a non-removable key, so you don't come back and have it taken as someone's souvenier, that you get one for big amp flow, and you install it correctly. I had an alternator shop make up my wires for me, my Moroso has bigger than normal lugs on it.

Not hard to do, but something that takes thought and time. there may be a pic of mine in my photo album here, i can't recall, i can put one up there if anyone wants me to.

Here are my switches:

trunk mounted cut off
cut off just behind cockpit
key
lift up aircraft safety switch
trans neutral switch
momentary on toggle under aircraft safety switch.

I guess that makes six.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 02-07-2004, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SPF Trunk Disconnect Switch

Rick:

Here's the link to the image in my gallery. There's also another one there.

Hope this helps.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1

Old 02-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Rick:
I'm having ERA put a battery cut-off switch with removable key in the trunk (rear mounted battery) for me simply for an additional anti-theft measure as the trunk locks.
While I'm not particularly paranoid about theft I consider it to be very inexpensive insurance. Will also have a safety covered starter switch on the dash.
DonC
Old 02-08-2004, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My car was built for Virginia City hill climb in 84. It came with a melal master switch mounted through the fire wall with the lever inside under the dash.When belted in it was unreachable.It was a neat set up with a "L" bracket acting as a buss strap to the starter relay ,all directly above the starter.More than once the difficulty of belting in again or anticaption of just a momentary wait ,I left that switch on .The warm water would collect at the top of the radiator.The electric fans would come on and the battery would be near dead.If I had enough battery to operate one of the electric fuel pumps to put a splash of gas in carbs, almost any motion was enough to pop the clutch and start.Still embarassing.I'm redoing a lot fo aspects of the car.I'm adding a Flaming river switch to the near middle of the dash in series to the original switch.It is accessable while still strapped in or from outside the car.Twist on push off.Big red knob. also has isolating circuits for ingition cut off.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 02-08-2004 at 10:41 AM..