Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Enclosed trailer - Serpent Express

The vision is now a reality! Brent, I'll be coming for a banner. The web site should be up sometime this week. I need to sell some units. Hopefully the numberous Cobra-related National events will make my product popular. Here are a few pics:
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2004, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Locked and loaded:
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2004, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Easy access:
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2004, 03:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Tony,

Specs and pricing??????

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-08-2004, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

Hopefully I'll have my web site up later in the week.
- 14' steel trailer with 2' beaver tail
- Slide out ramps, 24" wide
- Tandem 3,500 lb axles with electric brakes on one
- Diamond tread plate decked
- Removable driver's side fender (necessary)
- 14" wheels with white spokes
- Canopy is constructed of 1" steel tubing with TIG welded fittings, 5/16" friction locks, interior dimensions approx. 14' deep, 52' high and 78" wide. Covering is 18 oz vinyl fabric, the same stuff used on tractor trailers, gravel trucks and lumber haulers. It's really strong stuff. UV resistant and water proof.
- Weight is around 1,500 lbs though I haven't weighed it yet.
- With regards to price, I'm still negotiating with one of my major vendors. It will be in the $4K range.

The canopy frame slips together (modular) so it can be broken down pretty quickly. It takes one person about 5 minutes to remove the cover. The canopy frame can be adjusted to account for shrinkage and stretching of the fabric. It converts into a standard open trailer in about 30 minutes.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a pic with everything buttoned up. I posted a couple of pics on the Happy Birthday Georgiasnake thread.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Tony, I had posted a question, and had to delete it.

Just re-read your details. I had noticed the fender on the left was not in the pic, and you answer that in the details above. I think the local Atlanta boys may be saying, "I remember when Tony had that trailer idea, now look at him....a yacht, a jet, 3 homes, 10 cobras." I think you may have a winner here in that it can convert to other uses. When I sold my OLD enclosed trailer and was asking I think $4K, my phone was RINGING off the hook. Best of luck on this.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike. It's amazing how much effort I've had to invest in the project so far. Between the design effort, sourcing materials, beating up vendors, incorporating, website/logo design etc. I've had fun with it. I've done exhaustive research on what's available in the market place for our little non-weather adverse toys and it seems like a "hole" exists. I've had fun with it, seeing it all come together. Sleepless nights wondering if I had missed something on the design. We'll see what happens. Atleast I'll be attend some events I would have otherwise missed.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, How wide is the inside (fender to fender), I have a Model A that is wide (low running boards). Looking for a trailer that could pull both.

Thanks

Gary
Old 02-08-2004, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Although I was conversing with Tony about this on the Unique site some time back, I couldn't exercise enough patience, so I bought a conventional enclosed used trailer. I would much rather have this, and it is definitely a winner. Congratulations Tony!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary, it's about 78" wide on the inside. I wouldn't want to load anything much wider than a Cobra. Also, though I can make them virtually any height, I limited the Serpent Express to 52", which as you can see from the pictures provides plenty of head room for a Cobra windshield.

Clay, I really wanted to get it launched sooner, but my progress was limited to the level of cooperation I could get from others. I took a number of paths that proved to be dead ends and required an alternative path. I'm really happy at how it all came out. My first production unit will be refined over my prototype. It should be useable as a Harley trailer as well.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old car with 6 banger
Not Ranked     

This looks good Tony. Looks like your hard work is paying off. I need to check the dimensions of my P car. If you could fit one of those in, the DE / Club race crowd could expand your base.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave, base expansion is good!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Tony:

What protects the front of the trailer/cover from road debris kicked up from the tow vehicle. Is the front of the trailer protected with any type of rock shield that is integrated into the cover or trailer?

If not, can the cover be made with one or with a sloping front design?

jim
Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Tony:

Also forgot to ask, whay type of steel trailer are you using as a platform to build on and I assume you are using a solid deck trailer (hard to tell from the picture).

jim
Old 02-09-2004, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I'm really not concerned with road debris. The canopy cover is incredibly strong. Nothing short of a bullet fired from a gun can penetrate it. It secures solidly to the trailer frame with 1/2" steel bars running along the frame perimeter and inserted in a pocket in the cover-seam. I have added a frame tube across the front, half way between the top and bottom of the canopy (probably not needed, but it makes me feel better. I've pulled it at over 70 MPH down the interstate and the material only bows in a few inches (no where near the car). The frame is structural overkill (doesn't flex at all). The trailer in my pics has 24" diamond treadplate runners running the length of the trailer. I decked the 32" center opening with 1/2" plywood so I could work on my car from underneath. For the production units, I plan to deck out the entire trailer with diamond tread plate. The removable wood deck serves a purpose, but it takes way too long to install it with hinges, weather seal, drilled and tapped fasteners etc. Besides, with the solid decking, it should be useable as a motorcycle trailer as well (possibly two Harleys and gear).
Old 02-09-2004, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Little "T"

Congrats! I've brought products from conception to consumer shelves before and understand first hand the complexities and challenges involved - YOU DONE GOOD as we could say in the SOUTH. Best wishes with project! If it takes off don't try to polish the fiberglass or have it chromed - just buy a Kirham and polish that!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Tony;
I wish you had this trailer for sale a couple of months ago. I brought my Unique back from Gadsden to Virginia just after Christmas, using a vintage, rusty U-haul trailer. On the way back something went down the left side of my car, scratching the fender and dinging the side-pipe. The fender is not a problem, but the pipe was coated, and there's no repair short of a full re-coat. I will NEVER haul my car again on an open trailer, so you'll probably be hearing from me again in the near future. Until then, best of luck on your new endeaver.
Bill Stradtner
Old 02-10-2004, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill, your message reads like a great testimonial. Can I use it on my site? I had a similar experience when I towed my car up to the SAAC convention in Nashville last summer. For me, it wasn't road debris, but since it rained like a banshee most of the way home, I put on my Tonneau cover and took a bit of paint damage. I vowed not to tow mine on an open trailer either. Do you plan on attending the Unique Homecoming in May?