Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Sunburst wheel on eBay

There's a sunburst wheel on eBay for anyone looking for a replacement...or erase the autograph and add 3 more and you got a set

Never saw one available before, so thought I'd let everyone know.

NOT MY AUCTION so please do not ask me questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34209
Old 02-08-2004, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Someone with the ability...please buy this wheel, make a mold, and start producing them for use with Trigo adapters...I don't even have a car I can use them on right now, but put me down for a set...
Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

All of the sunburst were I think 15" x 7" or 7 1/2", as the front and the rear were the same size. I know there was clearence issues with these wheels on a CSX4000 car, as it had the S/C brakes which were bigger than the street CSX3000 cars, andf a spacer had to be made for the wheels to be able to fit over the bigger girling S/C brakes.

I don't know what the demand for these wheels would be like. Personally, I like the FIA wheels better, maybe even more than the standard halibrands.

I think Trigo makes a limited run of the FIA wheels now and then.

PS engineering makes a 17" halibrand, but they are expensive, I think over $2000, and I have heard of some quality problems with their wheels.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-08-2004, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default makin' them's the easy part

Bob, I can make 'em, problem is, the liability insurance on wheels. Ever wonder why most of the custom wheels are made offshore?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Good Point Mr. Bruce:

The large diameter wheels (20's, 22's 24's) that are the trend currently are often made overseas. I look at the various styles and designs and cringe at the thought of someone flinging one of these heavy vehicles around a turn and having the center break out of the wheel. Recently I actually saw an SUV (Chevy Suburban) that was stopped on the side of the freeway with the center broken out of a wheel of this type. Driver was on the phone.

Recently Ford Motor Company agreed to pay a huge 30+ multi-million dollar settlement (largest in history) for an older Bronco that had rolled killing 4 family members. It may of had nothing to do with the wheels but seeing these added to vehicles makes me concerned of safety.

Rick
Old 02-09-2004, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default $100K for a set of 4

Rick, exactly my thinking. Also ,the reason the Sunburst wheel was dumped in the first place ,was the centers were braking out. but they do look nice.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Self Built, 427 USRRC, 427FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default GT40 or FIA...

Why..,
Pay 2000k when you can buy the FIA style centers for in White and med Grey to add to street wheels for a fraction of that. DOT and Safety approved wheels behind em, by a MAJOR manufacturer, without the liability or knock-off issues.
grumpy
Old 02-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

For the cost of Trigo's or Halibrand's I was looking into the possibilty of wheel blanks to machine Sunburst's from and finished up pricing billet. They look great and are the perfect touch for a street car. There are other threads on how popular this version is becoming so it is just a matter of time before someone makes them. I am interested in any history on the Sunburst's like their weaknesses on design, casting methods or material selection. I'm thinking a set of those in SC sizes are just what I could be inspired to write a program for!!!