Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1968-351 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Dropped floor in SPF?

Fellow members: Does anyone know if Superformance has dropped the floor height to accomodate taller drivers, and if they have, what model year they began doing it. I beleive they have dropped the footboxes, I would just like to know if they have also dropped they seat area. I'm about 6'2 1/2" and the last SPF that I sat in had the rim of the windscreen about an inch above my eye level. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Bruce
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

They dropped the driver's side floor a bit a few years ago. Seat height didn't change. but the adjusters can be removed to lower it another 1-2". I am 6'-2" and never had an issue sitting too high in an SPF, especially compared to some other brands.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

as Mr . Fixit said, series 300 cars and newer had the following changes to accommodate taller folks :

DESIGN IMPROVEMENTS

SERIES 300...
- Floor is lowered 2" in heel area on drivers side (outer frame has also been widened in this area)
- New pedal box 1-1/2" lower and 1-1/2" further forward (foot box changed)
- Dead pedal foot rest pad next to clutch pedal

- Door hinges raised (to clear drivers shin)
- Seat is built with steel tube frame and rubber strap diaphragms
- The seat sliders can be removed and the seats fitted flat onto the floor to accommodate a 6'4" or 250-280 lb. person
- The Latest Superformance cobra interior is more spacious

Bill
Old 02-10-2004, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     

My new SPF, #1857, has a dropped floor for the passenger, padding in the fenderwells and an adjustable sliding rear view mirror on the windshield rod. There are several suspension/differential improvements that have been incorporated as well. I like all of the improvements with the possible exception of the RV mirror... it just isn't comfortable to my eye yet.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

get one of those little clip on convex mirrors, they are great, you can see everything behind you, on both sides. attach to top of windscreen, (you can even see how cool you look while driving your cobra.)
Old 02-10-2004, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Bill: Do you know what year that Superformance released the Series 300?

Bruce
Old 02-10-2004, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Bruce

I'm 6'2 and dropped my SPF seat by removing the seat adjuster. It worked out great.

I removed the adjusters and replace them with 1/8" x 1" strip stock. The strip stock bolts up to the seat as the adjusters did and then put bolts down through the strip stock that will mount through the original mounting holes in the floor. I also put 1/2" spacers under the front mounts to give the seat a little tilt rearward.

After two years and 10,000 miles, I am still very happy with this modification.

Good luck

Craig
Old 02-10-2004, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

I currently have the seats out of SPF887 (changing from hydraulic throwout bearing to hydraulic slave cylinder), so I can show you the floor drop under the driver seat of the newer Superformance cars.
Here is one shot....
Jim Kellogg
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2004, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

.... and here is another shot.
I will post larger images of these for you in my member area. Let me know if I can be of any further help
Jim Kellogg
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by craigayl

I removed the adjusters and replace them with 1/8" x 1" strip stock. The strip stock bolts up to the seat as the adjusters did and then put bolts down through the strip stock that will mount through the original mounting holes in the floor. I also put 1/2" spacers under the front mounts to give the seat a little tilt rearward.

Craig
Craig, thanks! You just outlined my project for next weekend! I've seen the strip stock sold at Home Cheapo....
Old 02-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

sn8ke/bruce...

no , i do not know the year of those changes that started with the dropped footwell. IF series 300 means serial 300 and up, it would probably have been in '97/'98 since my serial 156 was built in 3q 1996. bill
Old 02-10-2004, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen: Thanks for all the info. Jim: Nice photo shots. Craig: Great idea. Good to be a member of such an interested/interesting group of autophiles.

Bruce
Old 02-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Wells

sn8ke/bruce...

no , i do not know the year of those changes that started with the dropped footwell. IF series 300 means serial 300 and up, it would probably have been in '97/'98 since my serial 156 was built in 3q 1996. bill
Bill, the "Series 300" cars started in ( I believe...don't quote me here) sometime in the 600 number build sequence. My #747 was built in the late '99/early '00 range and has all the 300 Series goodies (dropped footbox, footbox ventilation ducts, 4 wheel Wilwood disc brakes and chrome roll-bar).

I know there have been other discussions on this board regarding the same thing, but I can't recall the topic title.

-Deano
Old 02-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deano et al...yep, as I said, i am not really sure when the 300 series kicked in. when in doubt, look at the floorwell i guess. at any rate, many evolutionary changes over time, most of which can easily be retrofitted to older cars (except the footwell depression would be more difficult) . many older cars, like mine, have many of these upgrades already owner installed. a good recap of changes etc of one series vs another is from the Performance Unlimited site, see :

http://performanceunlimited.com/supe.../features.html

Point is...alot of older cars can be good deals as typically at a lower price vs the newer cars but the upgrades can be done and still be in the car $wise for a very nice price. Bill.