28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Default [CA DMV] Marching toward #500.....

I saw this note on the CA DMV website over the past weekend "As of February 6, 2004, 407 sequence certificates have been assigned." Being that I had an "appointment" for March 1, I immediately went but had too busy of a work schedule to make time. My heart told me that March 1 would be here soon enough and all 500 numbers would be accounted for.

Well, I got a huge unexpected break in the work action this morning, so I made a beeline for the nearest DMV (paperwork in hand), and after 4 hours I now have sequence #2004-395 in my hot little hands. Now I just have to wait for the certificate in the mail, get over to BAR, and then I should be able to finish this exercise once and for all.

Words for the wise....the DMV is a whole lot smarter these days than they used to be. I tried to back door my out-of-state purchase registration through AAA, only to have it flagged at DMV for a VIN discrepancy and they pointed my azz straight toward the CHP. Right then and there I knew it was going to be by the book from here on out. The CHP office removed all the VIN tags and riveted their own to the frame. The officer was nice enough to let me keep the firewall tag (the Superformance tag with the Cincinnati, OH designation and COBRA insignia), though he was admimant that it can't go back on the car. Okay.....sure.

The website now states "As of February 10, 2004, 428 sequence certificates have been assigned." I still don't get why so many on this forum (including myself) have received sequence numbers below what the stated allocation has been posted as. They must be acorn stashing a few for the Boyd Coddingtons of the world.

-Deano

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 02-10-2004 at 04:12 PM..
Old 02-10-2004, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Deano.

Going to the DMV is an unpleasant ordeal for anyone. It took me 45 minutes just to go rnew my license even though I had an appointment. The Post Office and the DMV must have some criteria to employ those who are not motivated. For them, taking abreak is more important than taking care of their customers no matter how long the line.

Have fun with your Cobra

Shin

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 02-10-2004, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's todays quote from the DMV site:

As of February 10, 2004,
428 sequence certificates have been assigned.

you can check at: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDEAMON

The Post Office and the DMV must have some criteria to employ those who are not motivated.

Shin
Shin, years of negotiating skills in the workplace helped me through this ordeal. I was cordial and soft spoken to the lady I was assigned to, and I kindly explained to her (with DMV web site printouts in hand, which she used) what the whole SPCNS program was about and that "she would have to have a supervisor contact Sacramento." Having the printouts was HUGE, because it convinced her that I knew more about the program than she did. She even admitted at the end of the process that she had never processed one before, and she referenced a procedures manual about 5 inches thick (no lie!) and took photocopies of the procedure for her reference. She even stopped 3 or so times during the keying process and checked with her Supervisor to make sure she was going about it correctly.

I think she knew I was serious when she told me that they were having trouble getting through to Sacramento and I politely told her "That's okay...I'm prepared to stay here the entire day until this process is completed."
Old 02-10-2004, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     

Deano you're right, loosing your cool will land you at the same level as these employees. BTW with a name like Deano and red barchetta, you should be driving a Ferrari. 'lei Italiano?

Buona notte,

Shin

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 02-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDEAMON

BTW with a name like Deano and red barchetta, you should be driving a Ferrari. 'lei Italiano?

Buona notte,

Shin
LOL!!!! Ha! Well, the real name is Dean but my friends call me Deano. I'm among friends here, so that's why I use it. As for that Ferrari, I absolutely adore the lines of a 1958 Testarossa (very sexy and similar to the Cobra, ironically). I would love to see someone reproduce that car in kit form....I'd be all over one in a heartbeat.

The Red Barchetta reference is simply from the song that the Canadian trio Rush produced. It became my inspiration to someday own a red Cobra....dreams do come true if you work hard enough.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I went to the DMV this week to get my license renewed. I didn't realize it expired 3 months ago. Thought it was good until this year. Made an appointment and the whole thing only took about 15 minutes. I asked the lady helping me if she had processed any SB100 registrations. She said she had done 2 of them in January. Claimed it was really pretty simple once you know how to do it and the only difficult part is getting the morons in Sacremento on the phone.
Caught me off guard by having a sense of humor.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

["She.....claimed it was really pretty simple once you know how to do it and the only difficult part is getting the morons in Sacremento on the phone. Caught me off guard by having a sense of humor.

You hit the nail on the head....Sacramento. I walked away from the Fullerton office yesterday convinced that the training they (Sacramento DMV headquarters) hand down to the satellite offices is below standard and they have not communicated this program properly to the worker bees. It's always about the communication.....
Old 02-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI.

"As of February 13, 2004, 435 sequence certificates have been assigned." - Source: CA DMV web site

At the current burn rate, MARCH 24 (accounting for holidays) is the date when the crystal coach turns back into a pumpkin. My hunch is much sooner than that.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As of February 17, 2004, 452 sequence certificates have been assigned.

Scratch my previous estimate of March 24.....we'll be lucky to get through the rest of the month. FWIW, received my cert and have an appt with BAR for March 1.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As of February 18, 2004,
454 sequence certificates have been assigned.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dang, they just updated. Hourly updates now...LOL!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Here's a note, as of January 2, 10:00 AM, there were already 74 certificates gone. Mine being #74... I'm never getting up early for anything again!
Slithering

Ephesians 2:8
Old 02-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As per the DMV website this morning...As of February 25, 2004, 484 sequence certificates have been assigned.

Tick....tick.....tick.....
Old 02-26-2004, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At close of business on Friday it was 463. I got 475 at about noon on Monday. Anybody wanna bet it doesn't make it to close of business tomorrow?

This artificial limit of 500 is ridiculous. How did they come up with that number? I wonder how long it will be until they do away with the limit, or worse.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let's hope they don't ever do away with the limit. I could see them perhaps doubling it to 1000, but only once the politicians realize how much income can be derived from registering these cars. We're such a pin dot on the bigger scheme of things...not sure if a politician is going to spend time worrying about such a small group like us. It will take another "car enthusiast" in Sacramento to push another bill through committee. All these politicians have to choose their battles.

The good news is that SEMA has a pretty aggressive lobbying effort in California. When you consider all of the manufacturers in California that are hurt by anti-hot rod legislation (i.e. Edelbrock to name just one), you can bet that the impact to the Cali economy is heard on the debate floor. Not to mention the people that assemble and sell these cars for a living, too.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hope you are right about the future trend in this area.

I could be wrong, but we had all the factors you mentioned for many many years and it wasn't until Johannsen(sp?) wanted a car that we got the new program. I am not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I am very cynical about what motivates the politicians.

Being a gun owner and former motorcycle rider in this state hasn't helped my attitude any either
Old 02-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

All gone. Those who need must wait until next Jan...
Old 02-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Rosenberg

All gone. Those who need must wait until next Jan...
"As of February 27, 2004, All 500 sequence certificates have been assigned. No additional sequence certificates will be available until January 2005."

Damn...we didn't even get into March. Simply amazing. And to think I had a March 1 appointment that I decided to ignore, and the time invested standing in line a few weeks back paid off in spades.