14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     
Default Jag XKE Front End Suspension/Steering

Gentlemen: When I purchased my machine about 1 1/2 tears ago, Jag XKE suspension and steering were included as components. When I had my [rear] half shaft stub axles rebuilt, I found out the rear end was from an MK 10 sedan ('66-'67). I am now going through the front end and steering and would like to know if anyone knows how to tell the difference between the different years. I am using the XKs Unlimited parts catalog's illustrations. It appears as if I have as if I have the later E-Type Series II or III, but it is unclear what year these components might be. Does anyone know of any identifying marks to assist me with identifying steering and front end components? Thanks for any assistance. Rich
Old 02-12-2004, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Badrich,

I hope you had those lower arms reinforced with gusset plates. One of my Mark 10 arms broke and almost killed me. They break at the weld near the yoke.

I cannot answer your question about the front suspension but I know someone who can. His name is Kurt Hamilton. He has a shop in Van Nuys California and his number is 818-943-2323.

Good Luck,
Paul
Old 02-12-2004, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Jaguar suspension

Badrich,

Rallye Snake is very correct about the gussets that need to be added to the Jag rear end lower arms...this is regardless if your design uses trailing or, rare exception except for the Butler and I think? the Unique cars, trailing arms.

Your site moniker describes a KILLER 427, you Must get the best pieces for that engine, stub axles, half shafts, u-joints, outer spindles, etc. whether or not you are drag racing from a standing start...that sort of engine will tear the Jag control arms apart...the only thing you don't really have to worry about is the Salisbury/Dana gears, everything I read is they are bullet proff for most things, if they were sound to begin with.

The front end components, I dunno...but at the CWI, Concours West Industries web site they are building very strong front end arms to fit the Jag uprights and suspension pick up points.

If you think about the braking loads on the front A-arms, the speed that your engine could develope...do you want to run unreinforced 30 year old control arms ?

I have a CWI rear end in my ERA 289 car, my engine is hardly a a big FE...I have a 289 stroked to 357, mediocre cam...but I never wanted to break and screw around with anything in the drive train if only out of shear laziness, if not safety???!!! ha...

I got the gusseted lower control arms, the stub axles, positraction, and something else was beefed, maybe the outboard spindles...

Because I never wanted to rebuild the center section, I got the stub axles...the ventilated 0.875 discs to help with heat in a car that sees lots of open track, but stuck with the Girling rear calipers...could not rationalize the Wilwood's, but if you plan to opentrack/road race your big block car, that may be a good upgrade.

Some one said CWI is out of business...I do not know...I found them on the Web...the phone number as listed is:
360-274-3373, they are in CastleRock, WA...306 Dwight Road, 98611.

A fellow named Michael is the owner, he is English, generally pleasant depending on the last customer he dealt with, but I am happy.

Ther is another Jag rear end modifier, AMP Engineering, the owner is George...they are in S. California, very good shop, I do not know if they have a web site...do a google search.

My CWI rear end has 5200 miles on it, has been no problem at all...wish the hydraulic throw/out bearing was as dependable.

Please post your thoughts and experience after looking into this.

Like Rallye said, you really got to get some good stuff...especially with the super wazoo big block your are going to use.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 02-13-2004, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Good point Pete,

George Petrus has a shop in Torrance. His website is here: http://www.kitcar.com/amp/home.html. He build great custom stuff, but at custom prices, too. Outboard brakes, Watts link uprights, great stuff. If you can afford it, that's the way to go.

Kurt Hamiliton builds Cobras and has a shop full of old Jag parts. If you want to make stock Jag setups work, he will mix and match your parts and his to get you what you need at a reasonable price. He know all about preloads and clearances, bearing sizes and what will work and what will break.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 02-13-2004, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen: Thank you very much for the good input. I've done business with CWI and have heard of the other gentlemen. You can't have too many contacts in this Jag world. You are right; with Mr. Shelby's lovely motor (560 HP, 532 FT LB torque), I need to make sure I can get that power to the ground and not break the driveline and suspension parts along the way. My machine did come with some good stuff: modified front A-arms with coilovers, Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks, HD anti-sway bars (poly bushings), HD chromoly hubs (pin drive), HD half shafts, shortened and braced lower control arms, etc. I did some business with CWI and purchased their billet Cobra tie bar, side bracket tapered seats with ARP bolts, stainless jacking plate and aluminum differential cover. I just installed Bill Connolly's aluminum billet hub carriers with HD Heim jointed Watts linkage to complete the rear end package. I am now making sure the front end is solid, replacing the rubber steering rack mounts with machined aluminum alloy and replacing the last of the rubber bushings with poly. These parts I'm getting from XKs Unlimited in San Luis Obispo. After that it is time for alignment and corner balancing at Custom Alignment. To finish it off, I am going to call Paul (Schmidt?) at PS Engineering and talk wheels and tires [see my link gathering info on autocross tires]. I took a few photos of my suspension and will include them with another message before long. I am really looking forward to doing some serious autocrossing and learning to drive this beast properly! And if I get the nerve up maybe some drag racing and even some track work some day. Rich
Old 02-14-2004, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another link for Jag parts. Don't know if it's the same as the other vendor but here it is.

http://www.classicjaguar.com/
Old 02-15-2004, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Cranky. And there is also a site like Club Cobra, but for Jag enthusiasts: http://www.jag-lovers.com. More than you ever wanted to know about Jags. Rich