21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 04:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Slightly OT: Parts is Parts-Or Why I will not go back to Jack Trebour Ford ever again

SO I have the Expedition in for a transmission flushed, I get a call

Service writer: "Mr S. your going to need a set of front swaybar links as well"...
Me: Ok, what's the cost on this (as I punch it up on a Mitchell repair shop system I'm working on for a client)
Service writer: " The total cost for repair is going to be $204.
Me: How much labor are you charging me?
Service writer: two and one half hours labor, and $55.64/each for the links.
Me: But the Ford list on the links is $9.87/each (which I get 32% off through the Phil Freeman system),and the labor is set at .4 per side
Service writer: Not sure what to tell you Mr S., but that is what we are going to charge you if you want it fixed.
Me: No thanks, I'll order the parts from the parts dept and do it myself.

Talk about a world of ****. I got so annoyed, I drove 40 miles out of my way to stop in and double check that this is what they actually told me, vs what the parts cost. First went to the parts counter and asked what the list price was to confirm(yup $9.87 each)..Then went around the corner to the service desk with my receipt for the parts I just purchased and spoke with the service manager (pompous litte **** he is)....Nope, this is what we WILL charge you for the job, PERIOD!.....Ok, forget it, I'll do it myself (took me twenty minutes for both sides with hand tools last night)......Go upstairs to the owners office (I've known Steve C. for over 20 years)...Spent 45 minutes in his office going back and forth on this. I explained I do not mind him making a profit, but a 700% mark up on parts is just not going to happen. I thanked him for his time, and explained I will no longer be doing business with his dealership(he only owns this one), nor will I be recommending his dealership for business ever again (I average between 20-35 cars annually from my recommendation of his shop, and he has the records to prove it). So, I suggest that each of you tell two people about this little story, and have them tell two people, and so on and so forth. While I'm just a small fish, the web is a much larger, more powerful place than Steve C. will ever know or understand..........I'm done with my rant. Anyone want copies of the mitchell repair reports I printed out yesterday, email me and I'll be happy to fax them over to you.........

Bill S.

PS: Almost forgot, the above does not even cover the $657(parts) or the 4 hours labor he wanted to charge me for the supposedly leaking steering pump (with a list of $219.81(I get 32% off of that price), and a labor charge of 1.5 hours to R&I)........
Old 02-13-2004, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

Bill, Why do you get 32% off? Phil Freeman system?

BTW, Land Rover of Parsippany had done this exact same thing to me on several occasions. I have left there more than twice angry like a hornet. I, also, feel like a small fish and just leave in disgust.

To add, my Wifes Brother is a head mechanic for BMW. He worked for Morristown BMW and he also worked at the one close to you on Rte 46. He mentioned once at a holiday dinner that the service guys at BMW would mark the bill with a "FHHP" if the customer mouthed off or got beligerant(sp) It stands for f**k him he pays. Nice huh? I hate stealerships!

Last edited by BlueRooster; 02-13-2004 at 04:38 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 06:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

With my connections in the body shop industry (more on this at a later date), most that I deal with have signed up for the Phil F. parts deal where they get a large percentage discount vs what a body shop would normally get off of list. The dealerships who sign up on this get more volume to make up for the larger discounts given to the program people...........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-13-2004, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

30-40-50% discounts are available to ANY Tom Dick and Harry that asks for a discount. Typically there is a published retail price for just about every part, and then there is a discount for good customers, other repair facilities, other dealers, people coming off the street, Senior Citizens, you name it.

I don't know any dealer who charges full retail price for parts unless they don't want to see the customer again!

Bill, I have to question the 20-35 referrals year.

Hell I have referral services that can't produce that many sales, and I pay good money for them. Can you perhaps talk them into a Chevy or a Cadillac?

TURK
Old 02-13-2004, 02:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Turk,

Not only referrals, but buying customers who know me through the various clubs/organizations/businesses I am involved with. Some were looking for small economical cars, others are looking for F350 Dually pick ups(and almost everything in between........I'll stand by my record for sending "buyers" and not shoppers to their dealership, as they used to give the best deals around....

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS