Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley. 427W , SB-100
Not Ranked     
Default CA BAR Smog test

Hi - I'm new to this and it's my first posting. I just got my SV on the road for the first time about a month ago after 14 months of building. Lots of details to finish of course. I've got my CA SB100 # (285) and I made an appointment with the BAR at Fullerton College for smog. The gal at the DMV in Sacto just said I needed my paperwork, oil, water & gas...and a gas cap. Now, I just have the flip cap that came with the kit. I did make a rubber gasket to fit between the body and the plate with the tube. I'd like to know what I should be aware of so I won't be surprised. Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
Old 02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Dave,

We're close (what, 15 minutes?). The only BAR experience I ever had was when the DMV randomly picked my (since sold) '93 Corvette for one of those mandatory BAR smog inspections. I had to go to the one in Fullerton and they made me replace my gas cap (they had them right there in stock for something like $10, so I just bought one and let it go at that). The tech told me that it was not sealing 100% (he installed it onto another device). That is the only thing I can think of that is related to your question.

As for my SPF, I have a locking gas cap under the flip cap. I would never trust the seal on the flip cap to hold back fuel, especially if you drive hard (which, by definition of owning a Cobra, you do ).

We should hook up one these weekends when I'm not so buried with coaching Little League.

-Deano

EDIT: I will most likely be gunning around town on Sunday. Write me at dharisis@firstam.com and perhaps I can swing by to check out your SV.

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 02-13-2004 at 01:15 PM..
Old 02-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Deano. I have a temp sticker good thru April so I've got some time to fix or rework anything I need. I'll email you separately to hook up some time.

Dave
Old 02-13-2004, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave...when I went to the Smog Referee in San Pablo in January they were not interested in a gas cap. Only that I had all my paper work in order - CHP assigned VIN and my paer work for the SB100 number. They had to fire up the car and put sniffers up the pipes and run it through a cycle for documentation. After that, they handed me an exemption sticker and told me to place it anywhere I wanted on the car, while they watched. 'Guess I made them too nervous about how it needed to be placed perfectly square and straight anywhere but on the firewall. All very easy and no challenges or additional requirements.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoom This

After that, they handed me an exemption sticker and told me to place it anywhere I wanted on the car, while they watched.
Not to intrude on Dave's thread, but may I ask what is the size of the sticker and where exactly you placed it on your SPF? I too don't want to apply it to the firewall if I can help it. Maybe somewhere in the trunk area might be appropriate?
Old 02-13-2004, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Dave,

The sticker is about 3 inches wide and 2 inches high. They put mine on the driver's door sill. The gas cap issue never came up for me either. Mark, the tester, said that the 1965 specifications were so loose, that gas could be dripping out of the exhaust pipe and it would still pass!

Paul
Old 02-13-2004, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Dave,

The BAR I went to never looked at my gas cap. They gave me the sticker and said I could put it anywhere I wanted but they recommended putting it on a part that won't likely need replaced in the future. I put mine in the trunk on the underside of the sill.

Chris
Old 02-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your input. I'll find out at the BAR on Wednesday if anything is different from your experiences. My car isn't painted yet so placement of the sticker may be an issue.

Dave
Old 02-14-2004, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

You are only going to get a smog test. Nothing more. No trick questions no long forms. The official purpose of the test is to finalize the registration process and identify the power plant you are using. But...

I really don't want to freak you out but have you asked yourself why? Why if it doesn't matter what year or type your engine is, based on the shape of your car, in this case a 1960's Cobra it will be allowed to run on public roads without the smog control devices which originally came on the motor?

I fear it is to establish yet another list. For many years California has had a program to identify "gross polluters" There are occasional checks on freeway on ramps where emissions are generally highest. Cars are remotely moitored and photographs are taken and the registered owners are sent violation notices.

We were blessed in the year 2000 witha new law allowing 500 vehicles a year to essentially violate state and federal clean air acts. This was a legislative action, a payoff if you will to the author (a Cobra owner) for playing ball with the democrats (he was a republican)

So, do you really think you are soooo special as to believe you are above the law? Perhaps for now. At least for awhile. It is now and will always be my contention that the "reference only" smog check info will come back to haunt us. I truely believe sooner or later this "loophole" will close. What then? Will you be forced to reinstall the smog equipment which would have come on the engine size and type you are using? That's how it use to work.

I hope I'm wrong. Anyone else got a better reason these cars are being smogged? By the way the genius at BAR who did my smog test printed my label identified my FE as a 1960 7 liter Ferrari.

Ignorance is bliss,

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 02-15-2004, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

The guy at Los Positas Collage spelled the word number (nuber)
missed the m....lol
I place my sticker on the inside of the aluminum battery cover in the trunk.
All I have to do now is the bond and the brake & light inspection.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Hey Dave,

Whatever happens, you should go to the bar after you go to the bar!
Slithering
Old 02-16-2004, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave...I placed my 2x3 inch exemption sticker under the hood on a horizontal flat surface next to the steering as you look down while standing next to the drivers side, about 4-6 inches from the firewall, almost under the fender area.