14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Jim Price Interview on Dream Car Garage...

This should be an interesting interview coming up on TV with Jim Price of Superformance. Here is a segment of what one of the Dream Car Garage show's hosts, Tom Hnatiw said...

http://www.dreamcargarage.com/moment...&kw=moment_tom

Jim Price is one of the most amazing car guys I've ever met. Living in his native South Africa and surrounded by the stunning beauty of Port Elizabeth and his closely-knit family, Jim created High Tech Automotive.

Beginning with a humble modified drive shed, the help of a few good men and the determination to build great automobiles, Jim conceived his "replicar" concept.

His Mk lll has evolved to be easily the best car of its' kind anywhere on the planet. We are now officially familiar with the car having logged countless miles - some at extremely high speeds - on two continents. Standing next to Jim in the middle of a totally modern automotive manufacturing complex, you cannot help but sense the pride Jim has for what he has accomplished - so far. In fact, he's far from done, his construction contractor has more or less moved onto the High Tech property with an ever-lengthening list of projects to be finished.

The Mk lll is not the only current project Jim is working on. Jim's new Daytona replicar is now in full production as well. The 200 MPH plus coupe is not only stupidly fast, but civilized and even refined. Jim relishes tuning the car, the manufacturing process, and his team of engineers on a daily basis. Also in full production is the Noble M12 GTO a mid engine coupe which will absolutely shock Ferrari and Porsche owners alike with its performance and no nonsense good looks. All three of these cars are currently available on the web, the Noble at http://www.1Gracing.com and both the The Mk lll and Daytona at http://www.Superformance.com Coming soon is an all carbon fiber supercar which Jim would tell us precious little about and an all metal hot rod which should be making a splash on these shores later this year.

Jim squints his eyes a little as he surveys the grounds adjacent to his office building and tells us about his plans for a test track there. Later with his grandchild in his arms he tells us how lucky he is to be doing exactly what he wants to be doing on a daily basis. He's been doing just that ever since he moved into that drive shed years ago. But other things have changed. There are over six hundred people working at High Tech Automotive today. Their admiration for Jim is palpable as one walks with him through the factory. The people of Port Elizabeth recognize Jim as a local success story and a pillar in the community. Yet, this soft-spoken, warm man seeks no celebrity, no fanfare. He just wants to go to the shop and work on his cars.

Jim can be seen on our sister show Sports Car Revolution this coming February 17th. Jim rarely conducts interviews so this will be a rare opportunity for many Superformance owners who have been itching for an opportunity to meet him

Tom Hnatiw

Last edited by Randall Thomas; 02-20-2004 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

RT, great info. Looks like the show he references will repeat broadcast this Sunday at 6PM (check your local listings of course, or the schedule for your timezone on speedtv.com).

I had suggested to Tom many years ago now that they sell DVDs of their seasons and we corresponded back and forth a bit. Another good car guy, along with Mr. Price.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RT - Tom Hnatiw and I exchanged emails yesterday. I sent him a message thanking DCG for the coverage of our cars. We talked about the too numerous to mention manufacturers of Cobra replicas and how large the audience would be for his series on Cobra replicas. Everyone, regardless of their make will be interested in these shows, and an even larger audience of maybe millions of people will tune in with interest to learn and see more about a great racing automobile that they always dreamed of owning.

It doesn't matter who the maker of your car is, Superformance, Kirkham, Unique, Factory Five, etc., etc. Even the cars Shelby is reportedly making, they all are replicas of the mid-60's legendary race cars. We know how much we love our cars, and pretty much the rest of the world that has automotive interests loves these cars also.

Dream Car Garage is doing us all a favor featuring the Cobra replica. Can't wait to see all the episodes.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

"Even the cars Shelby is reportedly making... "

Ouch
Old 02-20-2004, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
"Even the cars Shelby is reportedly making... "
Dan,

You don't wanna go there. There has been a rash of Cyber Beatings in this site recently to people even hinting at this.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Johnson

Dream Car Garage is doing us all a favor featuring the Cobra replica.
Isn't that show, and the few others like it, sponsored by the products they feature? No favor...isn't SPF paying for the coverage?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Dream Car Garage already did a story on the Shelby CSX7000 FIA car about 1 or 2 years ago. It was one of the feature cars that Tom drove through the country. I believe they also featured a GT350 that they were restoring during the same episode. I have it on tape somewhere.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-20-2004, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb All Depends..............

Ron:

I think it's pretty common for this type of show to feature products of their sponsors. It's also just plain good business.

If you produce a car show and decide to do a feature segment on Cobra replicas AND one of your sponsors is SPF, it doesn't take too many smarts to figure out SPF is probably the best choice to showcase.

I'm sure if another replica company sponsored Dream Car Garage, you probably wouldn't see an SPF featured either.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."
Old 02-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

You missed the point Stephen...

Manufacturers pay to be featured. That's why the show exists.

They don't choose a sponsor to interview...
Old 02-20-2004, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Kind a like an info-mercial then?

TURK
Old 02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Question Oh.....

Ron:

Thanks, sounds like I kinda' had it back-asswards, huh?

Still, it sounds like a good deal for both parties. Sponsors get featured, production costs get covered.

Ron, an afterthought: How much do you think Ferrari paid Dream Car Garage to feature that yellow Enzo last Tuesday night?

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 02-20-2004 at 02:25 PM..
Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by computerworks

You missed the point Stephen...

Manufacturers pay to be featured. That's why the show exists.

They don't choose a sponsor to interview...
Ron, a couple years ago DCG featured a 1970 Hemi Superbird. Who paid for that?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Oh...it's a great deal.
We get to see some content about some cool cars.

It's like the Two-Guys Garage show is the benchmark... that is one big infomercial wrapped around the two of them pondering a water pump or something, each week. The game is to gift-wrap the scenario around sponsored products and services.

..still fun to watch. Better'n NASCAR.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by southernfriedcj

Ron, a couple years ago DCG featured a 1970 Hemi Superbird. Who paid for that?
They use the cars and facilities from Legendary Motor Cars (a sponsor) choosing one restoration for the season...we get a few minutes each episode about the car.... The car isn't the sponsor, the wrappings are.

Hey, Superformance even bought a banner ad on their site

http://www.dreamcargarage.com/sponsors.htm
Old 02-20-2004, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

Ron, understood. Nearly all programming on Television needs manufacturers to fund the shows or there would be no shows, all the way from the CNN to National Geographic. I know you know that ;-) Many times the sponsors are featured as well, like in nearly every printed illustration publication out there. No secrets there.

One of the interviews with Mr. Price as I understand was during Dream Car Garage's visit to the Port Elizabeth factory while they were shooting numerous days of material for the show. While Superformance indeed paid for advertising banners for the show, not all coverage is a paid advertisment.

I know for instance that T.V's "TRUCKS" with Stacey David has many times covered products that have never had anything to do with the show, all because Stacey simply "wanted to show the viewers" the product all on his own. I'll wager DCG is similar in their history.

Ron, if you buy me a beer I'll be more than happy to interview you in a nightclub setting... and I'll do the same. We'll do that over and over again until the first interviewer drops. Of course this will all be filmed... ;-)

/Randall
Old 02-20-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Thomas

Ron, understood. Nearly all programming on Television needs manufacturers to fund the shows or there would be no shows, all the way from the CNN to National Geographic.
/Randall
Randall - one notable exception to that rule - the BBC. Whilst I would be the first to admit that having alternatives to the BBC is a good thing, no commercial sponsors get in there, and I humbly suggest that the BBC in it's heyday had a more than reasonable reputation for quality TV. Of course, we do pay for it via a tax!
Old 02-20-2004, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default to Wilf...

I guess I was more focusing on the North American air waves where this show is found. I sometimes forget ther "other" places I never seem to get to. Someday. I tried to point my antenna east, but I just can't get that BBC channel ;-)

Oh, and by the way, I was referring to "Television"... I thought over there you had "Telly's"? That's what my esteemed British friends keep telling me. :-)

/Randall
Old 02-20-2004, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

And we thank you for that!

Quote:
Originally posted by wilf leek

Of course, we do pay for it via a tax!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Ron, Watta you mean better than Nascar???

Nascar has one thing all the other racing series can only dream about .

PAYING CUSTOMERS And lots of em.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking yup!

Quote:
Nearly all programming on Television needs manufacturers to fund the shows
I noticed on American Idol that they have Coca-Cola couches! Wonder who is the sponser?...

The spots look great for SPF, don't care how they got there. Good for the sport, good for SPF. They have a GT-40 coming out, and more soon.

I drove a Noble !

Eric