14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2004, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Hide your speakers

I am installing small speakers in my Cobra in the kick panels and the rear panel near the driver and passenger's inside shoulder. I want to conceal them, or at least cover them with something other than modern speaker grilles. I was thinking perhaps using the metal mesh that is used in the brake-cooling ducts. Do any of you have ideas or photos of inconspicuous speaker installations? I am using 4 small 3 1/2" 2-way Inifinity's with a sub.

Oh yeah, Please refrain from anti-stereo flames or "the speakers are just below the doors on the outside of the car". I've heard it all before. Be constructive...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique 427 302/300hp t/5
Not Ranked     

here's a thought remove carpet in rear bulk head 'cut out speaker enclosure ,install in trunk with fasters and replace your carpet the grille w/be your carpet
Old 02-24-2004, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I installed speakers in the kick panels and rear bulkhead. I also did not want them to be conspicuous, so i just carpeted over them.

I adjusted the frequency levels a bit to compensate for the fact that they are covered.

I find the sound quality and levels to be quite adequate ... for a Cobra.

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 02-24-2004, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     

I have found that my carpeting is not acoustically transparent. It has a backing which will not allow sound to come through, so the carpet-over idea won't work for me...
Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

If the carpet has a backing of felt it is not that hard to peel some off. Use a razor blade or small blade knife to trim the backing. Then just peel it off. Any small bits that are left behind will not bother anything. Or you could also cut some small slits in the rug that run the same way as the grain of the rug. If you keep them small you will not be able to see them and they will let the sound through. Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My speakers are mounted up and underneath in the footboxes where your knees are. I built boxes for the backside of the speakers and they mount on top of the footbox in the engine
compartment. The tweeters in the center of the cones are physically directional and I have them pointed towards the driver
and passenger. Completely out of sight.
A 200 watt Clarion CD player is mounted at bottom center of the dash. It blends in with the cut of the Butler dash.
But what are we talking about? A radio? Side pipes? Wow....
got to pump up the volume when cruising.