Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     
Default Installing a Radio in a Cobra

Thinking about having a radio installed in my Cobra - there is move under the dash, but I'm a little worried about the lack of room for speakers. Does anyone have input on this issue, possibly been there - done that or didn't do it for some reason.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     

Hi Cobra de Capell,

This is classic topic, and each time a question is raised like this, you'll get the inevitable response that you "speakers" are your sidepipes, etc. etc. The fact is, many people are averse to the idea of a radio in a Cobra.

After having my Cobra on the road for a year, I've started with a stereo installation myself. The reality is that the car itself is more than entertaining around town or on a winding road, but anytime I find myself on the freeway for more than 20 minutes or so, I get bored loping along in my .68:1 overdrive without some tunes in the background.

Anyway, to your question: Many people locate speakers in the rear bulkhead. Low-frequency speakers can be located directly behind the seats, and mid or high range speakers can be located on the rear bulkhead near the shoulder. In the front of the car, you can find space for some small mid or high range speakers in your door panels, kick panels, or in the corners of the dash itself. For aesthetic reasons, I am using small 3 1/2" speakers in the cockpit with a hidden subwoofer in the trunk for low-range frequencies. Use a good, powerful, amp or amps, as many Cobra owners complain that they can't hear their stereos on the freeway. I will not have that problem ; )
Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply and I know that it's not a 'pure' Cobra thought or plan to even consider a radio, but occasionally it's nice to hear a tune or two that compliments the driving experience.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Radio

Ask Evan Harris. He has a full boom boom boogie buster in his CSX car

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 03-26-2004, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

There are some "new" systems that manifest themselves as a pure remote control human interface. This allows you to not clutter up the dash with electronics. You can hide the system in the trunk area. The speakers are another matter.

The interference from our typically non-supressed high performance inginition systems is an all together different issue that could be a problem with a sound system which runs off of the Cobras DC power system.

On a long drive, I find a simple CD-Walkman or MP3 player with earbud headphones to be an effective, low tech, and high fidelity alternative that is immune from iginition static issues and at the same time somewhat isolates the exhaust noise from the audio.
There are wireless modes for the headphone earbuds as well.

I would consider this route as more that a viable alternative.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 03-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a good point - a nice MP3 player may do the trick as I'm only after an occasional tune, not necessarily from a radio. You've changed my mind!

Of course, now I need to look at the selection of MP3 players!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

WHY?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Love the iPod

But in some jurisdictions wearing buds/phones while driving is illegal. Might want to check on that...

-JT
Old 03-26-2004, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     

You might want to consider "hiding" the head unit in the trunk and using a full function remote like this this one from Sony:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tBZqemO...asp?i=158RMX4S

A member of my club with a Factory Five uses one of these, and it's easily moved out of the way for a more stock appearance.

With a black interior, it's pretty easy to hide black speaker grilles. Since I have a tan interior, I used some modified aluminum brake duct grilles to cover my speakers. I think they provide a race-car aesthetic.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Better check with the local law inforcement officers before wearing headphones while driving. I believe that they are a no-no in some areas.

Wayne
Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

WHOA! It's like Deja Vu all over again!

-JT
Old 03-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Dudes,

I like the idea of the big speakers in the back, but how about in the trunk? Then they could be much bigger. I've got the car about as low as I can get it without scraping the scattershield and I managed to find a chrome chain steering wheel, but where can I find some knock-off pin-drive roller skate wheels?

Old 03-26-2004, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

When I purchased my car from the previous owner, it had a $4K stereo system already installed. There is a big Phoenix Gold amp and clear lense-covered crossovers upholstryed into the trunk with subwoofers hidden behind the bulkhead (no visible speaker grills) and 6" rounds/Infinity tweeters mounted in the kick panels. I refused to turn it on for the first year I owned the car, but now I have some oldie car tune CDs I listen to all the time. Pulling up to an intersection with Beachboys chiming over the sound of the sidepipes adds to the sensation. I play it a lot now.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mounting a subwoofer in the trunk is your key to getting away with smaller, less conspicuous speakers in the cockpit. It is the Bose AM-5 approach from the early 1990's. They proved that you can reproduce mid and high range frequesncies effectively with small speakers that have a high wattage capacity (think large magnets and voice coils). Since low frequencies (bass) are non-directional sounds, the sub-woofer can be housed almost anywhere. Just like your home theater in your home, where your subwoofer is hidden behind the couch or under an end table.

If you can get a good sub mounted in the trunk (leave room for a weekender bag for you and your main squeeze) you should be able able to generate good, distortion-free, sound in the cockpit with some properly located (and properly amplified) small-sized speakers in the cockpit.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I mounted my stereo under the heater box using a unit the "closes" when the power is off, leaving a black face. With the power off, you don't even know it is there. See the picture below.

I put speakers in the footwells and on the rear bulkhead. and carpeted right over them. I adjusted the base and treble a little and they sound fine.

I've got the best of both worlds. You don't even know it's there, but you've got tunes when you want them.

I use my stereo all the time

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

CobERA,

Never mind the radio, where did you get the side pipe guards.
Are they stainless?

It's just easier this way.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

This sounds like another 'tits on a boar' discussion.

Fuggeddaboudit,
Roscoe
Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

ERA649:
Check Finishline, they have the side pipe guards.
Cobra de capell:
I'll be using a Secret Audio receiver which has a remote control head about 6.5" long by 2" high by .75 inches deep which is all you see up front. The base unit is mounted in the trunk and out of the way. Speakers in the outboard side of the foot boxes and behind the seats. Amplifier and CD Changer also mounted in the trunk.
The unit is controlled with an RF remote similar to your TV or with buttons on the control head.
Don't know yet if I'll use a "thumper" (sub woofer). Depends on how it sounds when completely hooked up. If I do go with the thumper I'll be looking for a free-air unit and place it in the rear bulkhead of the driver's compartment between the seats. The free-air unit uses the trunk as it's enclosure so it doesn't need a sepreate one.
DonC
Old 03-27-2004, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

ERA649,

I got the heatshields from Finish Line. They are polished stainless steel. They also offer a satin finish.

Check out my gallery for other pictures.

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!