Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2004, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cheap for a poor person

What do you think is the cheapest I could get all parts for cobra replica for because I have the smallest budget in the history of small budgets. So anyway I am of course willing to assembly everything as long as I don't have to weld.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Don't want to shatter your dream--but realistically ,low end, and you do all the work including paint probably $20-25 K + a donor car for engine ,trans, rearend, brakes, etc.-- and somehow you always want to add more"correct" items to the build--cost then goes up.

I've heard of guys building an FFR for around $20K.

You may find a deal on a car that is partially completed, owner lost interest or for whatever reason needs to sell, often for far less than invested.

But in the overall view IMO it will take the aforementioned $$ to achieve your dream at least.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

True!
Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Smallest budget on this forum? That's me, I build all my own stuff. I can show you how to build a Cobra for under $10k, but ,you have to do EVERYTHING. Interested, ?
Old 03-27-2004, 04:55 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I understand a "Mustang Makeover" would be the way to go. But if Mr. Bruce can do it all for 10K, I'd say take a look.

Gary is more realistic and he is being kind. I'd venture to say, once you have things rolling, you'll hit 30+K and be wondering how you did.

I think I am at 40K and I fabricate a lot of parts, brackets and acces.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-27-2004, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: nogotti
Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Smith
Not Ranked     

Mr. Bruce
10k? I'm in pm or e-mail me how.
As for tight budgets-I have 3 kids,and a wife who wants a new home(i.e. a new bigger, more expensive home).
The only thing I have to put towards my project right now is personal interest.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

BUY THE HOUSE AND TAKE CARE OF THE KIDS. GET THE COBRA LATER!

I HAD TO WAIT 30 YEARS.

GOT SIX KIDS AND TWO COBRAs.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but Dwight is right. In the meantime, just ferret away every leftover cent you have and then go after your dream. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Bill V; 03-27-2004 at 09:22 AM..
Old 03-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Every once in awhile a used Cobra comes up for sale in the high teens (17-18K). Rare, but it happens.

Now thats about as cheap as I've EVER seen one. Of course as a young man it will be near impossible to get financing for a car like this so that in itself becomes a major hurdle.

Ernie
Old 03-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

rgfb,

I got into my car for a bit over 20K.... albeit a used 18 year old car that had some major issues that needed attention before it was ready and road worthy. Probably cost me another 5K to get it where it is today.... and that's doing all the work myself.

Like Ernie said, there are deals out there from time to time, just keep checking the for sale ads here and at Cobra Country (where I found mine) and you may get lucky too.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile TAKE A RIDE

THERE ARE A LOT OF COBRAS IN TX. HITCH A RIDE WITH SOMEONE EVERY WEEK. THAT WILL MAKE IT BETTER OR GIVE YOU MORE OF A FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2004, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: nogotti
Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Smith
Not Ranked     

Just got back from home shopping and read your post Dwight.
After seeing her face when we saw the new homes, I couldn't agree more. As to hitching a ride, My thought is that it would only make the fever worse, and lead to poor house or divorce court(or both).Still want to hear from Mr.Bruce. I can weld , do machine work, and generally handy around building or fab. work.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We are working on a super buget ,body/frame"kit" for the home builder. This will NOT be for the beginer. The frame will be jig welded,with all the suspension pickup points, but you would have to attach some of the minor brackets for the rad, brake lines, etc.The body will be our seamless design, but , you must do the "dirty" work, you will have to glue the inner and outer hood ,trunk, and it may not have doors ,( just step over the side ,like most of us do), trim the openings, it will come just as it is, out of the mold. The interior can be either aluminum, which you will supply, or we may have a tub avaliable.We will supply a comprehensive parts list of what you need to finish the car. This is where all the money is spent on these things. If you can hit the swapmeets, and the local for sale papers, you can put this car together for the $10K range.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Trularin.. just exactly what is a mustang make over cobra... I never have seen that one..... any pics
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 03-28-2004, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Although I have a car, I still look on e-bay and you can find pretty good deals on ones that are unfinished and the guy wants to get out of it. I remember last May or so (maybe a month or 2 earlier) there was a red 427SC,make unknown, in Texas. It had no reserve, was equipped with a 289 and a top loader was drivable and needed some attention (all the tires were worn out and the paint, while nice looking , had several little chips and other faults), but was a pretty sound looking car. I would have bought it, I should have bought it, only was bid up to about $13,900 and was gone. I still expect to see it back there with some new rubber and the guy trying to peddle it for a little more.I learned years ago, when you don't have much funds you can afford to wait until the right deal comes along.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Other alternatives?

While waiting to build your dream car, another alternative could be to buy/fix something thats and similar in fun to a replica Cobra. Drive it for a while, fix it up, sell it later and apply that money towards your future Cobra. I'm referring to a functional fix...

A few years back I helped a friend in the same situation, and he could not part with money for a Cobra or parts just sitting there on a unusable project. We found him a clean used Classic Roadsters replica / 62' Austin Healey with a V8/302, removed the automatic and popped in a 5-speed and posi rear. 90" wheel base, and really a fun little car to go ripping around in. Has a top, and he sometimes drives it like a daily driver. Super cheap to repair too...

He takes that little Sebring everywhere we go with the Cobras, its super reliable, has 12k in it, and its the most bang for the buck of fun yet. Its pretty quick, and he can resell it for that all day long. Its not totally painted up yet, but he now has no desire to own a nice replica Cobra at 3x/4x the price. Some of them can be made to look really nice too....

just another thought if you were on a low-teens type budget...
Old 03-28-2004, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Raceral,

The term "mustang makeover" in Cobraese generally means an FFR, which was designed to be built using Mustang 5.0 donor cars.....that is mid-eighties to early 90's.

But, I suspect you already knew that

However, you can also build an FFR with all new components....that's the difference in cost.

I suspect you already knew that too, but just trying to inform others.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 03-28-2004 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-04-2004, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR #1140, 5.0 EFI
Not Ranked     

The "mustang makeover" cars are much more reasonably priced than the "Jaguar makeover" or "Corvette makeover" cars and just a little under the "BMW makeover" cars .
Old 04-04-2004, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Let see... of all the "good" cobras out there... What kind of front suspension parts are used... Of all the "good" cobras out there, what kind of rear suspension are used in them...
Lets see.... do I have time to go back in the archives and look for all the pictures of broken jag rearends... do I need to go look for all the "1Lug" wheels that fell off....Do I need to look at all the pics of all the little "mustangII" front ends that are on all the "good Cobras"...

With the Factory Five Car.. you can build it anyway you want.
You can have a 18k ffr or you can have a 50k ffr...
If you build a nice detailed ffr in the 25-30 range, will get a lot of fun and excitement out of it and you will be able to sell it and get your money out of it.
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG