19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra VIRGIN preparing for 1st drive...

Well, after a totally uneventful (read very smooth and easy) visit yesterday to the NJ DMV in Trenton, my ERA BB is now titled, with tags, a safety check exemption, and is ready to go.

Think back to your very first ever ride/drive in a Cobra.

How it came to be, that in my early 50's I have never driven, nor ever even riden in a Cobra is just one of those flukes of life. The closest I've been is a stock 164 HP Tiger 1A I owned years ago. Even Mr Mustang has driven my car - delivering it into my garage when I wasn't home.....

So, I'm all set to go, I had scheduled today off work for the joyous event, and then woke up this morning with snow on the ground...... the joy of anticipation continues for a few more days.....

So.....what exactly is my first ever drive gonna be like? Any suggestions or comments or things I should do in preparation?

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 03-19-2004, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Congrats on getting through DMV!

I went for my first drive at the end of last September. I still remember the feeling I got coming home from DMV and screwing the plates on the car knowing that, after all this time, in 5 minutes I'd finally get to drive it. Very exciting.

As for recommendations, I'd say strap yourself in, watch all the gauges, monitor the vitals and take it very easy for a while- these cars are like nothing you've ever driven before. Other than that, have a great time and be prepared to respond to a lot of thumbs up.

p.s. Don't be alarmed if it takes a while for the smile to leave your face, this is normal.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Yep, strap in tight and get ready. It's really hard to describe the first drive. For me, it was kind of surreal. Couldn't believe I was actually driving it. The rumble kept reminding me I was. I had to stop for gas, and I stood there at the pump staring at it for a while.

On the serious side, go easy your first time out. The Cobra takes some getting used to. It's probably much faster than anything you have ever driven. With the short wheelbase and cold roads, it may be twitchy. It's rough and raw, but that's one of the things I love most about the car!! It's an experience like none other. The thumbs up from people are OK, but the sheer driving fun is even better. Have a great time and look forward to seeing the car soon!!

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.

Last edited by klayfish; 03-19-2004 at 08:12 AM..
Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

If your engine has a new block and heads I would drive the car until it heats up well and then pull off the road and let it sit and cool down. This thermal cycling will allow the large metal parts to relieve some stresses.

While it is cooling down, you can inspect the engine bay for leaks etc.

Also, you will need to break in the brake pads and rotors. You may want to do a search on the internet for the best way to do that with new rotors and brakes.

I would not travel too far from home and perhaps have a cell phone aboard. If you do not have a spare tire in the boot, have a can of fix a flat aboard.

Other than that, have fun. The ERA 427 SC is a well balanced car. You MUST be heavy on the brake pedal effort and that is normal. Get used to that quickly. These are not power assisted brakes at all.

Keep changing your RPMs and upshift and downshift to seat the rings but do not go crazy and be brutal doing this.

Good Luck Luke.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 03-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Don't power out of corners....many here have swapped ends doing so. Get used to the car's balance (or lack thereof ) and always be super alert, as EVERYONE you pass (or are passed by) will want to get a closer look. You're driving a four-wheel Harley with the full-on Jesse James "flash", so you will stick out like a sore thumb.

And forget about wiping the grin off your face....it will be permanent.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Bruce,

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but my roads are already dry as a bone, and we got 7 inches of heavy snow last night. I say take it out for a drive...

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-19-2004, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

Bruce- Looks like you have some excellent advice here, but remember that this is the 21st Century.

Use a condom.

UT
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Have fun and be careful. The car will be unlike anything you have driven before. If you insist on stepping on it (not advised for your first time), make sure you are straight otherwise you will see your backend trying to become the front.

Stu
Old 03-19-2004, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Virgin,

I believe in the 5-50-500 plan. Drive it for 5 miles, back to the house, then check everything. Drive it for 50 miles, then check everything. If you make the 500 mile run, OK, you're all set.

I do this everytime I make major changes to the car. I hate waiting for the AAA flatbed.

Paul
Old 03-19-2004, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1498, 351 stroker
Not Ranked     

Be careful and don't "hit it" too hard the first time. If you feel the temptation will be too much bring a change of shorts. A 90-inch wheelbase is full of surprises.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Hey Bruce,

Have you ever driven a motorcycle? If you have, then try to remember the first time - driving a cobra for the first time is kinda like that.

Also, picture an egg under gas pedal. This will help you visualize gently applying the power. Don't break the egg!

Other than that, all of the advice above is good...

Have Fun,
Randy R...
Old 03-19-2004, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

What everyone else said and...

Remember that you are sitting more or less on top of the rear tires. The front tires are way out that-a-way. Depending on what sort of car you are used to driving, the way the Cobra turns on a corner might seem a bit strange. If you've driven a car with a long hood, no problem. But if your previous car experience was like mine, the way a Cobra tracks through a corner is a bit different.

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Like me, you will likely be infected for life with the way the car leaps forward at your command and darts with a twitch of the wheel. The other guys are right, though. The car is a handful and will get to "critical angle" in the blink of an eye. Drive like an old man for the first several trips and build your experience(s) gradually.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     
Default Your Signature

Time to change it from "waiting for Kirkham" to "ERA Has Arrived!!" I hope to see you in the next week or to. I am running My oil pan to the powder coater in Cherry Hill tomorrow, BUt I want to be in my Car when I come to see yours. Best of Luck and I am Envious!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah... When you sit down in the seat, double check the location of the pedals - they are slightly off center to the left.

The first time I sat in the driver's seat of a Cobra was when I drove one for the first time. The engine was running, and my friend told me to put my foot on the brake. Not realizing that the pedals are so much off center, I pressed down on what I thought was the brake pedal, only to heard the engine roar

Have Fun,
Randy R...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default and the wait continues.....

Thanks guys for all the comments - sounds like "be careful" is the primary thing.....I really like the "egg under gas pedal" analogy.

As fate would have it, I got a call from work today ( I had booked the day off to put the finishing touches on the car - remount the battery, remove the radio and reinstall accent tubes, adjust shifter, etc, etc).

So, it's out of town for the next 10 days......the wait for my first drive continues......

Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley KCR 393 Stroker Cleveland
Not Ranked     

It's pretty much been said, it is an experiance that you will NOT forget! Too many things are going through your mind, the sound of the pipes, the snap of the throttle, the wind, the response of the sterring wheel, more pressure on the brake pedal than you first think.........all these things are running through your mind all at once.........and the urge to nail the throttle........it's best to ease into the throttle and spend some time getting to know your Cobra.....Once you park it from your first drive, you think about when you can take it for another drive!

I like the 5-50-500 comment, ease into your trips and get to "feel" the car, things happen so much faster in a 2200 lb rocket, you will learn to drive with less stress!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Popped the cherry........

Well, my first ever Cobra drive is now under my belt. Some observations:

#1-The car can be surprisingly tractable and docile around town if you don't mash it. It actually is ok and smooth when just kind of puttering around in 3rd gear going with the flow.

#2 - Whoa... does it ever come on strong when you push the go peddle. The first time I did this I ran up real quick on a car way out ahead of me - I thought I had tons of room - I way underestimated the braking pressure and requirement. The nice thing is, the peddle has reasonable travel, and the rate of acceleration is easy to control.

#3 - there is a certain frustration in driving this kind of car - the continuous urge to really step into it - you are way over the speed limit is a blink....hmmm - where do you go to really let it loose?

#4 - where do you rest your right leg?

#5 - it is sooo easy to forget about the pipes when you get out.

In spite of the few mechanical glitches I encountered (a stutter/misfire under load), it is an absolute joy to drive.

Now, if we can just get some decent weather....

Old 04-04-2004, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

#4 ... I rest my right foot on the accelerator pedal

#2, #3 ... I find that when ever I've got a bit of clear road in front of me I give the car a little (quite a little) more juice than I normally do. I particularly like to do this when I'm first at a stop light. No wheel spin or anything, just some very brisk acceleration (then look in the mirror and see how far back everyone else is)!

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Bruce,
1. Glad to hear your car is fairly docile in slow driving. Most, including mine, tend to be a little fussy.

2. You'll get used to making sure you have plenty of room for the car in front, because the closing rate is alarming. Make sure you have solid brakes.

3. You wanna let loose? C'mon out and join me in either autox or open track. You can let it loose as much as you want (as long as you stay under control) and it's all legal. You'll really get a great feel for the car, it's limits, and what happens if you push beyond them.

4. You don't rest your right leg. The bigger problem is where to rest your left leg. It gets annoying on long drives. I'm constantly hunting around for a comfy spot.

5. Ask my wife about the pipes. She has 2 permanent "snake bites" to show for it. You'll get used to warning everyone to stay away from the car, especially kids, when the car is just shut off.

Hope to see you soon.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.