28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1968-351 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I pulled the trigger today !!!

Fellow members: I've been planning to have a Cobra by spring of 2005. I took the plunge today (Sat. 4/3 ) and put a deposit down on an SPF SC Cobra. Took the wife down to the Snakepit in Freeport, NY to look at colors and she pushed my over the edge and said "Lets show these folks that we're serious and put a deposit on one of these babies". What a gal. It'll be a long summer, however, because we're scheduling delivery for April 2005. Plenty of time to assess the options. Must say that the Royal blue with white stripes looks very handsome. Bill, our salesman, has patiently let me snoop around the shop for almost 2 years and today he reeled me in (without a fight). I'm thinking of going with the Ford Motorsport 351/385hp engine with the Tremec TKOII transmission (.82 5th gear). I've heard that the TKO with .68 5th gear can be too tall. Any commments on that? I'm sure that I'll have many other questions for you veterans before we take ownership, and it's nice to know that there is a forum like this where I can ask for help/opinions, etc.

Life is good....
Bruce
Old 04-04-2004, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congats Bruce. The Superformance is an excellent choice. The year wait will fly by like it's only 60 months!

Jim
Old 04-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Bruce,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're gonna love the car.

As you say, you'll have plenty of time to decide on the details. A Ford crate motor will give you plenty of power for a "sports car" and the sky's the limit. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the average SPF owner probably installs about a 450 HP motor. One caveat: Some guys build "sky's the limit" motors and then realize that they're not much fun to live with. There's a wealth of information on CC if you're willing to start digging around. If you have the time and inclination, a trip to Spring Fling in June will help you answer a lot of questions.

I did a lot of thinking, then ordered my car with the TKO with the .68 OD. Then, while I was waiting for the car to arrive, I read more and wondered whether I had made the right decision. With my motor and the standard SPF rear gears, the .68 OD is pretty near perfect for me, as I drive the car a lot and like being able to cruise at 60mph at about 2000rpm. I did end up with a pretty low first gear, although it is useful at times. If I had it to do all over again, I MIGHT go with the TKO II and a little higher rear gears, although I'd need to be convinced. Mike Stenhouse did an excellent presentation of the engine/transmission/rear gearing topic in issues V5#1 and V5#2 (October 31, '02 and December 31, '02) of "Second Strike", the Superformance Owners Group newsletter. There should be a copy at Snakepit, or someone near you may loan you his copies. Or, join the group and buy the back issues; they're well worth the cost.

Stay a little on the conservative side and you almost can't go wrong with one of these cars.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1710, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripe, 428 FE with dual quads
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the club! You made a great choice with Superformance. I'm on my second car and I have only good things to say about both the product and the after-sale support by the guys at Dynamic Motorsports.

I had a Tremec 3550 with a 392 crate stroker in my first car and it delivered worry free, low maintainance performance at a very reasonable price.

I have a Tremec TKO with a 428FE in my current car and I have noticed very little difference in the transmission gearing.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce, I'm on my third SPF. All BBs, but I will offer this opinion on the TKO II. If your plan is to drive the car on the street all the time, the .68 will be fine. Just like a Mustang. If you plan on any road course time in the car, 5th gear is USELESS. Go with the TKO II. Reguardless of your trans choice, you made the right decision on car. The SPF family (dealers and owners) are second to none.
Richard
Memphis
Old 04-04-2004, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

If you want a tremec, I'd get the new TKO-600 with the 0.82 5th with the rear gears being either the 3.73's, or even a 3.54/3.23 with a crate 351.

TKO-600 Transmission buying group
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 04-04-2004, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

Only thing I'd do different about my superformance is I'd get the "II" from Tremec (.82 OD) with lower (numerically) rear-end. There's no reason to have a 40MPH first gear with over 500 horsepower and almost 550TQ.

I'd prefer a smaller gap between 4th and 5th and for 1st to be more usable. I'm pretty sure w/ current gearing if I was in 2nd gear and tried to launch with anything but a dainty throttle foot, I'd still be sideways. Forget about 1st.

I keep saying "well when I blow this tranny up, I'll get the "II". But from the sounds of most Tremec owners, that probably isn't on the near horizon unless I try really hard.

Also, I have the 3550, and was told that I wouldn't have any problems with it, not even with the 500HP and 540TQ. Not sure what other opinions are, but if you are planning to go with the 385HP Ford Crate 351W, you may want to consider the 3550 (as opposed to the 'TKO'). My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the 3550 uses brass or bronze syncronizers as opposed to steel ones on the TKO and that they are softer, thus creating a smoother shift.

Tremec experts, I didn't make that one up myself, I heard it or read it somewhere. So if it's completely wrong, I can laugh about it, just let me know.

All I know is most say the 3550 will hold up to 500 HP no problem. The torque ratings on those are for dry torque - i.e. - no wheelspin or anything. Just torque applied to a fixed object.

FWIW.....
Old 04-05-2004, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

60 months
kind of like a five year old waiting for Xmas
Old 04-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

sn8ke, why not go with the t56?

Six speeds, good specs and will probably help with the gas milage.

BTW, are you getting this with trigos? Ask Jim about spinners. LOL

Congrats!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Bruce,

Sounds like you have made a good choice.

We have two SPF cars on the road nearby.

'justbetter' on the Australian forum has a pretty good gallery of his. There are also one or two Threads he has Posted photos on.

I took the opportunity prior to going to the Run N Gun to catch up with Dennis at SPF at Costa Mesa. Cal and he showed me around.

I was very impressed. I also have found the new website here on the Forum that SPF have updated very good.

Have fun.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-05-2004, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the welcome guys:

Anthony: Seems to be a nice new product that TKO-600; nice first gear, maybe a bit more practical than the 3.27 1st in the TKOII. I was surprised to learn that Tremec is discontinuing the 3550 line.

Trularin: I'll keep the T-56 in mind, although it is a bit more expensive

MidOHasp: Here is a link to the new TKO- 500/600 page http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/news/20news.asp.

Southernfriedcj : You're a riot !! Wouldn't you agree Alex?

Bernie Knight: Good on ya mate. Thanks for the greetings from down under.

Lowell W: I was wondering what I'd be taching with the .82 final gear with the 3.73 rear with 15" wheels and all other things being equal. I know there's a calculator around here somewhere!

RPrice: On your third SPF? You are my hero !!

Sierramadre45: You're reaching hero status !

Good night Gentlemen ... be well
Old 04-06-2004, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bruce, be careful of the T56 choice. The SPF chassis must have major mods to accept the T56. In doing so, a major stuctural componant must be cut and re welded. Not a good thing. The driveshaft ends up about 2 inches long as well. Stick with the Tremec. It is what the cars are built to accept.
Richard
Memphis
Old 04-06-2004, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rich: Thanks for that - you are the second person that I've heard that from since yesterday. Sounds like too much of a compromise for that 6th gear.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2004, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SN8KE

You may even be able to get the SN8KE plate for your car??

Cheers

Bernie
Old 04-07-2004, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie: Already did it; it was one of those pre-emptive strikes. I thought about it around 1 year ago, and the lovely wife said "get it now while it is still available". It's nice to have her aboard.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2004, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tried to get all the obvious plates over here such as;
COBRA COBRA1 - COBRA10 SNAKE ACOBRA.

The Ford Falcon Coupe from the ear5ly 1970 came out in a white with blue stripes and carried the Cobra decals and snakes on the fenders and trunk.

You only have to go to an All Ford day to see who has the obvious plates for a Cobra.

Ended up with using the plates off my '66 Mustang coupe.

888 866 the 66 for the year and the balance for the V8. Have since been told that the 888 is very popular with the Asian auto enthusiasts as it is a luck combination.

If you get a chance surf around on the Australian site and you will see the SPF of 'justbetter' and some photos he has 'Posted' there. He and everyone who has been in it love it. It is Portofino blue.

Cheers

Bernie

The count down will go very quickly.

Cheers

Bernie
Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Bruce,

sorry, I should have given you this to help you with your calculations:

http://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/GearCalc.asp

Plug in your choice of transmissions and rear gears and it will give you the gear ratios. The entire topic is very well presented in the articles mentioned earlier.

Lowell
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie: I see that you are running a stroked 351 Windsor. That would have been the engine of my choice, however the Ford Motorsport crate engine that I wanted to use has had some failures (so I've heard), and using a Rousch engine or something from another custom engine builder was a bit out of my price range (the wife, although very cooperative, did draw a line in the sand). The extra torque/horsepower would have been nice, but I'm sure I'll get my kicks out of the 351/385hp Ford crate motor.
How do I get to the Australian site?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 04-07-2004, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lowell: Thanks for the link to the calculator.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie Knight

Tried to get all the obvious plates over here such as;
COBRA COBRA1 - COBRA10 SNAKE ACOBRA.

The Ford Falcon Coupe from the ear5ly 1970 came out in a white with blue stripes and carried the Cobra decals and snakes on the fenders and trunk.

You only have to go to an All Ford day to see who has the obvious plates for a Cobra.

Ended up with using the plates off my '66 Mustang coupe.

888 866 the 66 for the year and the balance for the V8. Have since been told that the 888 is very popular with the Asian auto enthusiasts as it is a luck combination.

If you get a chance surf around on the Australian site and you will see the SPF of 'justbetter' and some photos he has 'Posted' there. He and everyone who has been in it love it. It is Portofino blue.

Cheers

Bernie

The count down will go very quickly.

Cheers

Bernie
Bernie: Feel free to use my plate: SACOBRA. It could either mean "Shelby American", "South Australian", or MY interpretation, which is the answer to the question---'S THAT? (What is that?)...." 'Sa COBRA..(It's a COBRA!)

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.