21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default '67 GT500 eBay Auction...big $$?

Well, am I out of touch, or are these prices over the top? I know the BJ auction results...but come on...its an ebay auction!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6465

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 04-15-2004, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Man, I am sick....

When I had my 67 Shelby GT-500, he used to park next to me at events. The car is not even close to 100K car. Black underneath and not even close to original, But people go crazy over the fuel injection setup?! This is like the 80's all over again. There will be some people who will loose big dollars. A fool in his money will soon be departed.

Morgan
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MORGAN,
DIDN'T WE SEE THIS AT SAAC DOES VEGAS? NOT SURE HOW A "DRIVER WITH THE WRONG ENGINE, AUTO, WRONG COLOR CAN BRING THIS MONEY. DID NOTICE ONE BIDDER. LETS SEE, 200 K TO "BLOW". GT500 OR A CSX2000? ITS SEEING $ LIKE THIS THAT HAVE ME SECOND GUESSING SELLING MINE, YOURS WAS CERTIANLY A BETTER BUY!!! HOPE YOU DIDN'T CHASE THAT EXTRA 10 HP ON THE DYNO. LOADED UP FOR THUNDERHILL AND LEAVING EARLY IF THERE NO SNOW. MAY DRIVE THE DRAGONSNAKE FOR A SESSION.
TERRY
Old 04-15-2004, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1249
Not Ranked     

I have been watching the auction also and some interesting revelations come to mind. Spending big dollars is only a side effect, the real issue lies in the effect on what is happening in the less than concours / non Shelby market. The market prices are being driven upward for anything that is a big block or fastback mustang because of the popularity of Eleanor, and the fact 66-68 Shelbys are fairly easy to replicate. Verification on the other hand is another story. I am concern that as the Shelby drivers (non concourse) hit 6 figures, it is a safe bet that they won't stay in that status for long. They eventually become trailered Queens and start to take on the persona of Big Foot i.e. they are often talked about but rarely seen. I know, I have one. Thus the clones come in and fill the void ( I didn't say that did I). I think it is just a matter of time before all of these cars will be out of the price range of enthusists and in to the hands of collectors. By the way, I do drive my KR so I have one for Show and the other One for GO. RedCSX1 I totally understand what you are saying but unfortunately the winning bidder will find out that he could have gotten a lot better for less if he had done his homework.

My .02

Keith
Old 04-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Originally this car had a "buy it now" price of $325K, which was absurd.
Now at $200K, it met the reserve.
The guy who pays $200K+ for this car deserves it.

A fool and his money are soon parted!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Hmmm...something smells fishy here. The high bidder has only one prior transaction on eBay, and that was (allegedly) the purchase of a Hemi-Cuda hardtop for $156,700 earlier this month. Is this a set-up, to make other bidders think a collector actually believes a '67 GT 500 is worth $200k? So maybe someone else will jump in at the last minute as a "sniper" to snag the deal for $201 large? Or is the high bidder a real person with lots of cash to pi$$ away? Guess we'll know more when the auction closes and the Shelby either stays with its current owner or is actually sold.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Terry,

Yeah that the Shelby that is always at SAAC does Vegas. As far as the dyno goes. I started studying the paperwork you gave me on your motors and saw my 427 was right there with your center oiler. Yours dynoed at 494.6 and mine 490.1 so I feel good where it stands.

Kieth and ST, I agree with what you are saying.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Ned,

I watch these auctions with amazement, there are so many shill bidders, or dealer "networks" trying to "make the market"....Remember back in the early 80's with the Ferrari 308's....No, I'll remind everyone....Six "dealers" from across the US started to drive up the prices of these cars at auction to "make the market", people saw the cars selling at auctions for BIG MONEY and jumped on the bandwagon....6 months later, the scheme came to light (a federal matter I believe), and everyone who bought their 308's in the 70K and above range (some as high as $125K) saw the market collapse in on itself and settle back down to "normal" (aka:$40-50K) pricing.........Do I see a trend here in the past two weeks, yup, you bet.....Do others see it as well, that remains to be seen..............All I can say is "let the buyer beware".................

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-16-2004, 09:20 AM
30 Year Wait is Over
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1630 '70 429 SCJ / 501
Not Ranked     

Definitely not worth the money. Looks like a bunch of disparate Ford parts cobled together. He should have left it original.

Q: What makes a good racer?
A: Size 14 shoe, size 2 hat.

Buddy Baker, NASCAR Hero
Old 04-16-2004, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

But is the car really selling or this just a ploy to inflate its value. eBay is a great deal but is increasingly being used by folks with less than honorable intentions.

eBay is the new home for crooks, criminals, thieves and con artists - don't believe the hype!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1249
Not Ranked     

Well the $200K is definently a scam. Check out the bidder and see that it is the same guy bidding aganst himself. The other Shelby albeit a nice car, still hasn't reached the Reserve price. I don't what the @@$$#** so special about this car? It ain't the Super Snake and it sure is not concourse with that Cobra oil pan. There is 32 minutes left in the option so I'll see whether the reserve is reduced and the car re-listed in another auction. I'll bet he will not get anything close to $100K at a SAAC convention. That kind of money is for CSX's, racing prep GT-350's and very detailed 68-70 Big Block Convertibles.

Keith