Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: In Limbo for the time being
Not Ranked     
Default Midstates round tube frame pics

Does anyone have some good pics of the Midstates round tube frame and also any pics of there rectangular frame. There web sites pics are not that good and I am now trying to compare the the 2 frames from midstates to the shell valley frame and decide if the midstates frames are any better or any beefier . Does anyone have an opinions on which frame my be better from midstaes the round or the rectangular. Trying to select a kit is rather tough , I now have it between Shell Valley and Midstates. Thanks again Chris
Old 04-16-2004, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Take the Midsates!

My first cobra was a Mid STates. So, I would say stick with them. They have a wonderful frame. I wish I had pistures of my frame to show you. But Bob is a great guy to do business with. Good Luck !

Gregg h

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 04-16-2004, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

My Midstates is built round tube and the wall thickness was custom beefed (talk to Bob Kallio) to 1/4 inch for extra stiffness.

At the time (1992) the Midstates was way superior to the Shell Valley in my opinion (as I recall the shell valley was square tube).

I would go with the Midstates round tube and have the main tube thickness beefed. I've put a lot of power to the ground for along time and the body and frame are mint (except for the body repairs after being put into the wall at well over 100mph at Heartland Park - but thats another story). Thinking of that, the suspension arms were all bent, shocks broven etc, but the frame never moved. The alignment is still with minimal shims that are symmetrical. A good testament to the strength of this frame.

BTW I have a lot of photos, but they are not digital and I have no way to get them onto the confuser - sorry. If I could get your address somehow without the whole world knowing it, I'd send one or two to you.

You could also call Bob Kallio and see if he has any good photos he could send. I really like Bob and he has always helped with anything he could. The Midstates family is absolutely the best.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Ford 460
Not Ranked     

Check my photo's and shoot me an email. I'll reply with a few pics. Go with Kallio! Goodluck!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Chris,

I put a few pics of my frame in my gallery, you can check them out there. Sorry, but I don't have any of the round tube chassis.

A round tube chassis is "supposedly" stronger than an equivalent wall thickness rect tube. I guarantee that you will not have to worry about strength in this chassis.

As Bob pointed out to me, the rect tube is a little easier to add brackets, bolt holes, etc to mount various hardware. It has turned out handier I'd say.

I visited both Shell Valley and Midstates before I decided (an easier thing to do these days... ) and thought that the Midstates looked like a stronger chassis - the SV seemed just fine but the MS met the "eyeball" test.

I'm biased, but I'd buy the rect tube from Midstates....
Old 04-18-2004, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427SC-351C- 24 years old !!!!!
Not Ranked     

My Midstates square tube is now 15 yrs old-nary a crack bend or any other deformity--suspension pickup points look as good as new-and you will Never find better people to work with !!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

ChrisL,

I went with the rectangle frame for one reason, it's much easier to mount your necessary components to. I believe the Midstates frame is far ahead of all other frames, rectangular or round. That's why I went with them. The frame is the foundation to a successful build. I'll be posting pics soon. Hope this helps.

Chris-
slithering
Old 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

I have had my Midstates since 1991. Bob is a very helpful person as is his staff. I looked at the Shall Valley at their plant and the Midstates at their plant before I made the buy. I think the Midstates frame is far better than the latter.I would buy another
if I were in the market.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:35 PM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Question hey ZIPZIP !!!

First,
we need to change your name to "luckydog"
beause of CSX3240 !!!! very cool !!

Second,
what did you use to grind, polish, or clean
your frame ?? very nice !!

Third,
what did you paint your frame with ???

Best,
Bill Cook

www.bluecarministries.com
Old 04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Wicked:

Luckydog indeed! And the guy lives right across the street from one of my relatives! Man am I going to see a lot more of them! Hey, maybe they have an extra room I could move into...

The grinding was all elbow grease and a 4-1/2" grinder. I ended up with the 60 grit flapdisk (Harbor freight about $2 a piece) after trying a few different methods and grits. The paint was 1 coat POR-15 underneath and 1 coat chassis coat black (from same company). Here's the link http://www.prp-porstore.com/page/por15/PROD/Topcoats/CC Just remember to WEAR GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH THIS STUFF! Man, does it stick!