Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default True Cobra Versus Replica

HELLO; I AM VERY NEW TO COBRA COLLECTING. I HAD A VERY UNBELIEVABLE OPPORTUNITY TO VEIW THE MOST MIND STAGGERING PRIVATE COLLECTION. THERE WAS 1 KING COBRA, 1 TWIN PAXTON, ONE OF CARROLL SHELBY"S PAST PERSONAL WITH (GET THIS C-6) AND AT LEAST 6-8 OTHER PAST RACE ONLY AUTOS FROM 24 HOURS AT LEMANS,DAYTONA, SEBRING AND SO ON. AFTER SEEING THIS ARRAY THE OWNER AS ME WHY WOULD I BUY A REPLICA AS NOT TO BUY A COMPLETED TRUE 427 COBRA FROM SHELBY IN NEVADA. IS THERE ANY REAL REASON NOT TO IS MY QUESTION. THIS COLLECTOR CLAIMS THEY SELL FOR U.S. $39,900.00 PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCES. MY EMAIL BECAUSE I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET AROUND THIS SITE TO WELL. LAURELSUMMIT@ATT.COM I HAD POSTED A 427 COMPLETE ENGINE FOR SALE TO THOSE WHO WANT ONE $8500.00 PLEASE COMMENT. DAN McGREEVY, PITTSBURGH, PA.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     

Ka-BOOM!

That, my friend, is the sound of an hand grenade going off. Prepare for the inevitable fire-fight to ensue.

There are a lot of fine replicas out there, and words like "true Cobra" really are quite controversial.

There are "original" Cobras (Big, big $), "genuine" Cobras (as you mention) and "replicas". Some will argue the "genuine" Cobras are actually replicas.

I'm leaning toward an E.R.A. 289FIA replica, myself. If I wanted a 427 Cobra, I'd seriously consider the new SAI car, but I'd want to talk to some of the other guys here that have purchased this car and have taken delivery before I cut my check. I think it would be pretty cool to own a "genuine" Shelby American Cobra. Nevertheless, I'm leaning toward E.R.A. for their outstanding quality record.

That being said, I'm going to duck and tuck...

Dangerous Doug
Old 04-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Uh...You're not contemplating a sales career involving ebay, are you...?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

Last edited by BlueRooster; 04-18-2004 at 05:54 AM..
Old 04-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

#1 The $39-40K (which I believe is HIGHER than that right now) is an empty shell, no motor trans, etc. Figure at least $55-60K before complete (often WAY more than that).

The the question becomes:

What kind of Cobra can I get for $55 to $60K? Answer: A dam nice replica that will most likely be FAR better appointed than the Shelby for the same money.

There is ONE thing you WON'T get in a replica for the same money, the CSX number from Shelby. To some that number is worth a TON of money, major bragging rights to some, to others doesn't seem to be worth the extra dollars it cost. Your call.

I would really like to have a CSX number on MY Cobra! But for LESS money than what the CSX would cost I can get a kick butt and take names replica that will be "cooler" and "nicer" than the Shelby. But alas, it won't be a Shelby, it will only be a "replica". Which one do YOU want?

Ernie
Old 04-16-2004, 04:47 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

So how is Fran K. doing these days........

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-18-2004, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

I won't weigh into this other than to say you buy what you can afford.

I would love to have a geniune Cobra and one owner built Cobra.

The owner built would be the one that I throw around the track without fear of damaging it.

I really do not know how much fun I would have in a genuine car other than the knowledge of owning it and the obvious appreciating financial investment.

I agree this question will start another ongoing Thread.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-18-2004, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Just so you know. The collection this gentlemen is talking about is for real. It IS the home of Shelby's personal twin Supercharged Cobra! I even have pictures! Amazing, simply amazing.
Now that one is worth the effort to buy a raffle ticket!

DV...We even tried to talk the owner into letting us show it off at tihs years Fling..... If you come--you WIll come back!
Old 04-18-2004, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

kingmt Dan I have an ERA 428 Cobra and mine does have aCSX# on it. both motors are Shelbys #52 and #428 block, that matches the car number When ERA made my car. Shelby makes a nice car, it's orginial . If you look in others threads, you will see HEATED WARS about the best COBRA. I don't knows who's collection your have seen but unless it was at a SAAC or maybe Lynn Parks, you need to keep looking. What are you going to do with your car??? Racing, cruising, trips, SAAC events, or just a toy. As far as handling, JBL, VSE, then others like ERA, FF5, SPF fall into line. There are new cars out like Backdraft that show potiential at the top of the heap. Thebody mold for ERA is off an orginial. I like square tubing over round because of strenght. My car is fiberglass and not Aluminium. Has far as original I have a p/s assist rack in my car for autocross and roadracing, the first sweet rack in a cobra. I have a Speed-Pro fuel injection system also. I built my car my way for these races. It's not a show and shine car. I think for the money I spent I got the best car. I even have a couple of awards to prove it. My 2 cents Rick Lake
Old 04-18-2004, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If this fellow kingsmt is talkin' about is RMS, that collection is REALLY for REAL .RMS got more money than everybody on this forum put together.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Self Built, 427 USRRC, 427FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     

kingsmt,
The lowest cost build out there is a "true fiber glass replica" on a 4" tube frame like a CSX, IF YOU HAVE A BUILDER.
Pvt eMail.
grumpy
Old 04-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Speaking of power steering on that ERA Rick,,,

I just got my ERA on Friday, the steering is FAR easier than the Excal was. Perhaps it's the larger steering wheel? On the track the steering on the Excal was a nightmare in a low speed drift, tail hanging out. I had to "muscle" that wheel to counter steer, got arms like Popeye.

Looking forward to putting the ERA on the track and see how the manual steering holds up "under pressure". I can see where a guy might want to go with power steering all right!

Ernie