LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Default K&N Proposal (Xtreme top lids)

Cobra owners,

I've been banging the phone and e-mail with K&N trying to convince them that there is a viable (albeit small, but lucrative) market for them to produce their Xtreme line of top lid filters in something other than black anodized finishes.

They offer polished, red and blue in the 14" size, but only black in the 9" offerings. The smaller unit is ideal for both single and dual carb applications for our beloved cars. I figure that most of us would rather spend $60 on a filtering enhancement if it added a little flash under the hood. Am I alone here?

Honestly, I've been considering buying one of their 9" units and adding the Xtreme top, but I'm grappling with the asthetic qualities (performance is only part of the equation).

Question: Would any of you more seriously consider the Xtreme lid offering if they provided more finish choices? With enough responses to this thread, I will consider sending K&N a link and they can see for themselves. At a minimum, maybe we can convince them to do a limited production run and buy them factory direct?!? I know you guys that run the turkey pans would benefit greatly from this mod.

-Deano

P.S. Received my Summit catalog yesterday and they now sell K&N filter oil in different colors!. That's right, you can now change the color of the air filter element to blue, red, clear, etc. Pretty cool......

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 04-21-2004 at 12:29 PM..
Old 04-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I might. Seems to me the 9" adds just under 100 CFM. Right now I am stacking the filters in the Stellings because I have the clearence to do so. But for those who want to stick to the pan and have limited hood clearence it would help. But the only thing you really see is the ring around the top. If it was polished I suppose it would look nicer.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-21-2004, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

More important would be to get them to manufacture the correct diameter lid (8.5) for the Stellings and Hellings.

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 04-21-2004, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

I bought one in black. Looks fine to me. Brushed aluminum would have looked better with the aluminum cold air box. Wouldn't have paid much more for it though.

Last edited by flipper35; 04-21-2004 at 02:23 PM..
Old 04-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by flipper35

I bought one in black. Looks fine to me. Brushed aluminum would have looked better with the aluminum cold air box. Wouldn't have paid much more for it though.
Got pics?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by joea

More important would be to get them to manufacture the correct diameter lid (8.5) for the Stellings and Hellings.
Joe, good point, but I believe that Stellings and Hellings should be the ones to approach K&N. Someone has to foot the bill for the tooling to stamp out the 8.5" rings (vs. the current 9"). I doubt K&N would go for the expense.

It is far easier for K&N to simply take the existing 9" outer rings and skip the anodizing process and send them straight to the polishing department.

Can anyone who has one of these lids tell me how the filter element is attached to the outer ring? I'd imagine it's some form of press fit whereby you can't separate the components without messing up something. But according to the pics above, you can see there is an inner lip that the filter element rests on.

I joked with the K&N rep yesterday that if I was Boyd Coddington calling him asking for a custom outer ring, they would do it without hesitation. And he agreed....

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 04-22-2004 at 08:08 AM..
Old 04-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not that familiar with the piece(s) involved, but couldn't you just get it powdercoated yourself -- in any color you wanted?

Ben
Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex EQ
Not Ranked     
Default K&N

I agree, K&N gave me the same story.. I wanted alum finish or blue. NO LUCK. Maybe Barry Grant would be the one to talk to ?? Ed
Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ben, so long as the filter element can be separated from the outer support ring, then absolutely!

Ed, BG makes a great carb.....hmmmmmm.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

Red...
I don't believe Stellings &Hellings is a around anymore. They are all reproductions. I emailed K&N awhile ago asking for a custom size. They turned me down.

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 04-23-2004, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

I've never contemplated the color of an air filter, is this a Waxer thing? ;-)
Old 04-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personally, I think the colored air filter element is a "ricer" thing....to each his own.

As for the Xtreme lid, I'll be at Knott's this weekend and I'm sure I'll see at least one car there with one. Hopefully the owner will be close by and will let me take a closer inspection of it before I plunk down 60 bones for one of my own.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex EQ
Not Ranked     

The rings do not come apart. Also BG does have a filter company. Check with them. Ed
Old 04-23-2004, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Red,

I run the 14" X'Streme with the black ring. The filter material and inner and outer grids are epoxied to the ring.

Do not forget that the primary purpose of the "air filter" is flame suppression. I believe that's why there was such a long delay in the release of the original X'Streme tops. The product has a perforated steel plate underneath and the small holes must limit the flow quite a bit. I feel like this top helped my car a lot because the Holly air tubes are so close to the bottom of it. Otherwise, it would not have had a significant effect.

Just get the black one and spray paint the color you want!

Paul
Old 04-23-2004, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SVM7688, 427 FE med riser, doug nash 5-speed, 3.54 9 inch locker.
Not Ranked     

I always liked the black ring on mine
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I'm interested in the 8.5"s my self. That would put the tops into the air flow at scoop. I have no clearence to work with.Front edge of front air cleaner is under hood and rear of rear air cleaner is against the rear of the scoop. Leaving marks.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

The 9" top will fit a 8 1/2" stellings, but the edge will overlap a little. I am using one on my stellings. A guy a run-n-gun told me that the 9" top makes a big difference, and there was no loss in hp for a 500 hp engine, running one of these 9" filters with an xtreme lid, as tested on a dyno compared to a 14" filter.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."